THE Group for Authors! discussion

General Discussion > my book cover/listing

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stasia (new)

Stasia Kehoe (stasiawardkehoe) | 4 comments For some reason, there are 2 listings for my book (AUDITION) pubbing this October. One has author name spelled incorrectly. Other has book listed as paperback instead of hardcover. Book cover is online at Amazon but can only sporadically be found at Goodreads, where I'm still seeing "cover unavailable." Help? Guidance?

message 2: by rivka (new)

rivka | 562 comments Stasia, I fixed those for you. Let me know if I missed anything.

FYI, the beat/fastest way to get something like that fixed is usually by posting in the Goodreads Librarians group.

message 3: by Stasia (new)

Stasia Kehoe (stasiawardkehoe) | 4 comments Thank you, Rivka. Apologies for not noticing the first line where you noted the fix. I just saw the FYI line and posted my question but PLEASE IGNORE THAT and thank you so much for your amazing, fast reply. All best, Stasia

message 4: by Carla (new)

Carla René (carlaren) | 82 comments I've had a similar problem with The Gaslight Journal. It's not only importing my old book cover, but the new one as well, and since Goodreads doesn't give you the capability to disconnect certain books with your account, they're both showing and I'm stuck with them. :(

message 5: by rivka (new)

rivka | 562 comments No worries, Stasia. :)

Carla, I only see one edition of that book.

message 6: by Carla (new)

Carla René (carlaren) | 82 comments Interesting. When I checked just last week, both covers for one eBook edition were showing, but now it's not there.

message 7: by rivka (new)

rivka | 562 comments There was an edition with no cover and no edition information which got merged. maybe that's what you were seeing?

message 8: by Carla (new)

Carla René (carlaren) | 82 comments Yes, I think that was it. I remember that, now, but also remembered seeing the old cover at one point. Why don't we have better control over the superfluous editions that pop up like that? I could've deleted it from my account myself.

message 9: by rivka (new)

rivka | 562 comments I only deleted it because it had neither ISBN nor ASIN. Out-of-print editions should NOT be deleted.

message 10: by Carla (new)

Carla René (carlaren) | 82 comments That's because I didn't finish filling in the details when I saw there was a problem with its being imported. I couldn't even get the new cover associated with it. It was a right mess.

See, this is what I mean. I had to wait with it hanging on my profile like some hangnail when there were problems with it that I couldn't edit out, and I couldn't even delete it myself. And it's certainly not out-of-print. Don't know where you got that idea.

message 11: by rivka (new)

rivka | 562 comments Generally when an author is complaining about an old cover, they are referring to an edition (not necessarily a work) which is not in print. I apologize if I misunderstood.

message 12: by Carla (new)

Carla René (carlaren) | 82 comments Ah, no. I re-designed the cover and wanted to add it.

message 13: by Stasia (new)

Stasia Kehoe (stasiawardkehoe) | 4 comments Seriously promise that this is the last message I'll send you. Page now looks great but it also lists 6 or 7 ten-year-old educational books I wrote for hire (some written under pseudonym S. Ward)--I'd love to separate those from my page. Any chance they can be separated--or at least listed BELOW my new YA, Audition? Thanks for any info you can provide.

message 14: by rivka (new)

rivka | 562 comments Books get listed in order of popularity -- that is, by the number of users who have shelved them. As users add Audition to their shelves, it will move higher on your page.

Have you considered a giveaway?

message 15: by Stasia (new)

Stasia Kehoe (stasiawardkehoe) | 4 comments Don't have an arc yet but could I offer a signed galley?

message 16: by Carla (new)

Carla René (carlaren) | 82 comments rivka wrote: "Books get listed in order of popularity -- that is, by the number of users who have shelved them. As users add Audition to their shelves, it will move higher on your page.

Have you considered a gi..."

Why not give AUTHORS control over how books are listed?? This is one BIG problem I have with Goodreads.