What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Older Sci-fi author and/or title

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (butterfliwhispers) | 12 comments The plot of the story starts at another planet where one alien race is attacking to wipe out another alien race. Someone off the planet that is attacked escapes and crash lands...I am not sure if it is earth or another planet we inhabit but he runs into a human. This alien is a special kind of warrior of his race. He has to bond with another kind of warrior but of course since his planet is either wiped out or being controlled by a mean alien race he can't. He does bond (sort of like the body of the other person is his house from what it sounded like) with this human because he is about to die and together they set out to help the alien's home planet. What I remember of the human from the way he is described is that he is kind of clutzy. He wouldn't be the first choice to go against big bad guys. I got the feeling that it would have humor in it.

I ran across this story when I was tacking down another book a few years ago and now for some reason it is sticking in my brain. Does anyone know the title or author? Does this sound familiar?

message 2: by Leela4 (new)

Leela4 | 117 comments Sounds a little like Needle (aka From Outer Space) by Hal Clement. But that concerns one alien pursuing another. The searching alien bonds with a kid, then they both search for the person the other alien has bonded with.

message 3: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 184 comments Enemy Mine by Barry Longyear, perhaps?

There was also a movie with Lou Gossett, Jr. and Dennis Quaid.

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Through the Eye of a Needle is the follow up to Needle. In it the Symbiont alien and Robert, his host, search for more of the alien's people so that they can save the life of Robert. Putting both books together kind of matches what the O.P. is looking for. But only kind of.

message 5: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (butterfliwhispers) | 12 comments Sorry for being away...things went a little haywire in real life.

I looked up those books and they are not it. Plus, I believe that they did travel together in space. i"m not sure how.

YOu know how Lawrence Watt-Evans writes. His is sort of a humor/silly story. That is what it reminded me of.

message 6: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (veegood) | 202 comments I think I've read this one - maybe in an omnibus type book with other sf stories. Was there a scene when they get back to the home planet of the 'bonding' alien where he has to explain to his superiors why he bonded with this unsuitable person? I have the book I'm thinking of in my library somewhere, I'll go find it.

message 7: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (butterfliwhispers) | 12 comments I think so. I'm not really sure I just remember bits and pieces of it.

message 8: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 474 comments Maybe Dragon and Thief by Timothy Zahn? The human is a teenaged boy, and the alien is similar to a dragon. If I recall correctly, it bonds to the human boy by shrinking to what amounts to a two-dimensional tattoo on the boys skin.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39865 comments Mod
Shelly, are you still looking for this book?

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39865 comments Mod
No response, moving to Abandoned.