Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Silver Borne (Mercedes Thompson, #5) by Patricia Briggs

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Silver Borne (Mercedes Thompson, #5) by Patricia Briggs
This topic is open for discussion of Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs. This is the fifth book in the Mercy Thompson series and part of our second group series reads. Be prepared for SPOILERS.

Description on Goodreads:
When mechanic and shapeshifter Mercy Thompson attempts to return a powerful Fae book she'd previously borrowed in an act of desperation, she finds the bookstore locked up and closed down. It seems the book contains secret knowledge-and the Fae will do just about anything to keep it out of the wrong hands. And if that doesn't take enough of Mercy's attention, her friend Samuel is struggling with his wolf side-leaving Mercy to cover for him, lest his own father declare Sam's life forfeit. All in all, Mercy has had better days. And if she isn't careful, she might not have many more to live..

Pages: 342

message 2: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments Book #6,River Marked was released. Sorry if I just didn't see the post. I've already gotten River Marked from the library, read it, and returned it.

message 3: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Thanks Shay. I still need to post it, but I needed to pick up my kids first. I'll try to post it shortly.

message 4: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Thanks Shay. I still need to post it, but I needed to pick up my kids first. I'll try to post it shortly."

Well, if it's anything like my house, once the kids get home from school it's chaos! Jackets, backpacks, socks strewn everywhere. Snack time, dishes. And the arguing and bickering starts.

message 5: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments These were my initial thoughts about Silver Borne when I first read it. I had posted them in another one of my groups and thought I'd post them here as well:

Loved this book more than the last book. I did miss our favorite vampire, however. No hints as to what the next book will hold, which made me a little sad. I am glad she didn't leave us with a cliff hanger which seems to be the trend lately in books. Loved seeing Adam and Mercy's relationship grow. So maybe there will be a wedding in the next book? At the beginning of Silver Borne Adam says they'll get married within a month and that is how long she was gone in the Fairy Queens's world. I can't believe Gabrielle's mom threw him out. Adam and Ariana was a surprise. Would have liked to learn more about that relationship. I wonder if there will be a short story in the future?

Did anyone else wonder at some point if the Silver Staff was the Silver Borne?

The manipulation at the bowling alley was an interesting bit of information about pack bonds. I wonder if Ariana and Sam can have children together. She is magical as was Charles' mom. Could we have little werewolves running around soon from Adam and Mercy and Samuel and Ariana? Could be an interesting aspect, but not sure I'm ready for Mercy to settle down quite yet. Still would like to know about her father's family. So from what we learned in this book her father was a full blooded shape shifter. I know Briggs' says at some point she will go more in depth into Mercy's family I hope she writes that soon. Be interesting if they crashed the wedding. I still say Mercy has powers she doesn't even know she possesses.

I wonder if, like Ariana, Bran was able to find Mercy because he found something that belonged to her? I'm thinking the communication might have something to do with Mercy herself. She was naturally born the way she is and vampires fear her because she can kill them. Nobody seems to know a lot about her kind except they were to be killed when found (at least that's what vamps said). I'm predicting there is definitely more to Mercy than any of us (with the exception of Patricia Briggs herself *chuckle*) suspects.

Mary Jo was a surprise. She did quite well for being injured. I am looking forward to seeing what happens. Woman's Lib in book form. I love it. *chuckle* Change usually doesn't happen overnight, but this one will be interesting to watch. If females truly can only advance their status via their mate maybe some of those bad boys won't end up with the girls any more. If they can advance on their own merit they won't need a more dominate mate in the chain of command to help them (if status is what they crave). Think about a pack led by a female. Gosh, this really could get interesting. We could have another spin off.

I think Mary Jo learned her lesson and will be more faithful to Mercy. She now knows the extent of Adam's feelings for Mercy and that Mercy is no dumb bunny, er, Coyote. :) I did like Mercy's portrayal of the Merrick when dealing with Mary Jo. Made me smile. As for Paul, I think he got off fairly Scott free from what we saw. What happened to Bran killing him? We know he would have killed Adam. Loved how Mercy shot Henry. I think it showed that even though she may not be werewolf strong she is resourceful and not stupid. She stopped what the others didn't. Another challenge.

Just thought about the Alpha & Omega series and am wondering if females are given more status if what happened to Anna might be discouraged even more than before. It's easy to pick on the lowest person on the totem pole, but if that status changes I wonder if more abuse will be found? I wonder what being the lowest exactly entails?

I was looking through one of Briggs' message boards and found out Kara is Kara Beckworth - a teenage werewolf. Here's what Briggs says about her in regards to a question as to whether she shows Omega tendencies:

"Kara is not an Omega -- that's really part of who she is, not something very changeable. We'll see more of Kara later, I'm sure. Once the Alpha and Omega books catch up in timeline to the Mercy books. Hunting Ground is mid December of the year Moon Called took place in, still before Blood Bound (and Bone Crossed is late fall of the next year, offsetting the two series by almost a year! Argh!!). So in Hunting Ground, Kara is still six months away. Confused? Hopefully not, but it is tough to keep track of -- and harder to make sure readers can figure it out.
Best,
Patty"

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Silver Borne (other topics)
River Marked (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Patricia Briggs (other topics)