Canada House discussion

GROUP READS > Room - may contain spoilers

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 32 comments Mod
Please feel free to discuss Room here. If your post contains spoilers, please let us know by placing a *spoiler alert* at the start of your post.

message 2: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 32 comments Mod
Why do you think the entire book is told in Jack’s voice?

Do you think it is effective?

What are some of the ways in which Jack’s development has been stunted by growing up in Room? How has he benefited?

If you were Ma, what would you miss most about the
outside world?

What would you do differently if you were Jack’s parent?

Would you tell Jack about the outside world from the start?

If Ma had never given birth to Jack, what would her situation in Room be like?

What would you ask for, for Sundaytreat, if you were Jack? If you were Ma?

Describe the dynamic between Old Nick and Ma. Why does the author choose not to tell us Old Nick’s story?

What does joining the outside world do to Jack? To Ma?

What role do you think the media play in the novel?

In a similar situation, how would you teach a child the difference between the real world and what they watch on television?

Why are we so fascinated by stories of long-term confinement?

What were you most affected by in the novel?

via http://www.roomthebook.com/inside/rea...

message 3: by Lynda (last edited Apr 07, 2011 08:47PM) (new)

Lynda | 32 comments Mod
Room is told from Jack's perspective and it's rife with 5-year-old kid-English. You will find this frustrating and off-putting OR your brain will adapt and it'll become almost unnoticeable. I, like many others, found this story strangely compelling. There were even a few "What Happens Next?" moments that drove me to Read On WAY past my bedtime. But, I can't say that I loved this book. Yes, Donoghue does have some very interesting things to say about Freedom, Parenting and Child Development. And yes, she does tackle difficult subject matter in a very unique manner. However, a rotting cork-lined dungeon is still a rotting cork-lined dungeon. And a rotting cork-lined dungeon is simply not a happy fun time.

message 4: by Carly (new)

Carly Svamvour (faganlady) I find this book compelling - I picked it up at 6:30 pm tonight - it is now 8:15 - I have read 84 pages!

Woman and child are prisoners to a one room home - I have not yet figured out ...

WHY?

WHY?

WHY?

If anybody knows, don't worry about spoiling it for me - I wanna' know!

BTW - in the other group that did this in March - The Next Best Book Club, most of the girls were turned off by the mother breastfeeding the 5 year old.

I found that kinda weird too, but it didn't surprise me - I can see why that happened.

But why are they there? Damn it! I wanna' know!

message 5: by Carly (new)

Carly Svamvour (faganlady) OK ... now I know - she was kidnapped and this old fart has her in this sealed shack for 7 years.

It's 9 pm - I'm nearly halfway through the book.

When she's having Jack pretend he's dead inside the rug - geesh!

Ohhhh ... I hope this Nick guy dies slow!