Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Blood Bound (Mercedes Thompson, #2) by Patricia Briggs

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 01, 2011 11:20AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Blood Bound (Mercedes Thompson, #2) by Patricia Briggs
This topic is open for discussion of Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs. This is the second book in our second series group read. It will go on through May 31st. (If someone things it should go longer let me know.) Be prepared for SPOILERS.

Description on Goodreads:
The second installment of Patricia Briggs's paranormal fantasy saga to feature feisty heroine Mercedes "Mercy" Thompson, Blood Bound (sequel to 2006's Moon Called), pits the butt-kicking mechanic/coyote shape-shifter against a foe that is as rare as he is ruthless -- a demon-possessed sorcerer who is also a vampire!
--
When Mercy agrees to help out friend Stefan (a bloodsucker from the local vampire clan in the Tri-Cities area of Washington State), she has no idea that she is about to inadvertently come face-to-face with an otherworldly creature that epitomizes pure evil. After barely surviving her encounter with sorcerer Cory Littleton, Mercy -- with the help of a small group of supernatural friends -- vows to track down the mysterious Littleton before he can butcher more innocent people. Her mission is twofold: Not only will she stop a mass murderer from killing again but she will also (hopefully) protect the invaluable secrecy of the vampires who live in the Tri-Cities area. But can a shape-shifting mechanic with a thing for Volkswagen cars defeat a monstrosity powered by spirits from the depths of Hell?
--
Fans of authors like Laurell K. Hamilton, Charlaine Harris, and Kelley Armstrong who are looking for a comparable saga should definitely check out Briggs's Mercy Thompson novels -- a fast-paced, lighthearted series with well-developed characters and plenty of supernatural ghoulies that doesn't take itself too seriously. Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Popular Mechanics. Paul Goat Allen

Pages: 292

message 2: by Sans (new)

Sans Ok, so I'm stalled out right now because (view spoiler) freaked me out waaaaaaay more than the author meant it to (I hope so anyway). That's one of my biggest phobias (over and above crawling insects/bugs and hair that isn't attached to a head) and just thinking about it sends me into a panic attack.

So. Please. Someone tell me that it gets better??

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura | 235 comments Loved this book couldn't put it down. The book got more intense as I kept reading. Mercy will stop at nothing to protect the ones she loves.

message 4: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 31, 2011 04:18PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Sans, Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I don't recall the the scene you mentioned so I'm guessing it does get better because it'd probably creep me out to.

message 5: by Sans (new)

Sans LOL! Not to worry, Lisa, I skimmed the rest of that scene and finished the book. It was sooooo goooooood!

message 6: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I love Briggs. She's awesome.

message 7: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (colls) | 114 comments I read the first book in this series some time ago. My memories were a bit vague, but I thought I'd jump in on the 2nd one anyway.

I like Mercy and her gremlin boss, so I'll probably keep reading this series. I'm not really a fan of this little love triangle that seems to be brewing between her, Adam and Samuel (should we toss in the vampire and make it a quadrangle?). I hope that some of these characters maintain a strong platonic bond and the author doesn't feel the need to drag sex into every relationship.

Also, I kinda want Warren to get his own spinoff.

message 8: by Sans (new)

Sans Colleen, I was very pleased with how the triangle works out. I think you'll like it too.

I agree that Warren should have his own book! And Bran needs one too.

message 9: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (colls) | 114 comments Sans wrote: "Colleen, I was very pleased with how the triangle works out. I think you'll like it too.

I agree that Warren should have his own book! And Bran needs one too."

Re: the triangle --that's good to know. :D

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments This series reminds me a lot of the Anita Blake series by Laurell K Hamilton. A series I love, btw. No wonder this series is hard for me to put down! lol

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Blood Bound (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Patricia Briggs (other topics)