Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1)
This topic is about The Iron King

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
What other Faery books would you recommend to people who might enjoy this type of book?

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annabell123) | 45 comments I really enjoyed the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr.

message 3: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Ok, these are not YA, but they are my favorite fae books - Fever series by Karen Marie Moning.

message 4: by Roshini (new) - added it

Roshini | 79 comments I believe Glimmerglass (Faeriewalker, #1) by Jenna Black has some elements of faery in it. Haven't read it yet though.

message 5: by Kritika (last edited Mar 05, 2011 07:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) Tithe, by Holly Black, if you can get past the swearing. There is a lot of profanity and the beginning has some iffy situations, but the book as a whole was okay.

message 6: by Sleepy (last edited Mar 06, 2011 03:05PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sleepy Booknerd Bones of Faerie by Janni Lee Simner Is currently my favorite fairy book

Rita Webb (ritawebb) | 77 comments Kritika wrote: "Tithe, by Holly Black, if you can get past the swearing. There is a lot of profanity and the beginning has some iffy situations, but the book as a whole was okay."

I recently read "Tithe" too. The smoking made me shudder. Her mom lighting her daughter's cigarrette? That grossed me out and majorly disturbed me. Doesn't that mom care about her daughter's health? But then the mom didn't really care about her own health either.

Once I got past the first few chapters though, it got really good.

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) I read it a few years ago, so I don't remember much. I just remember the swearing/drug use bothering me at first but that I ended up liking the story in the end. I think it was the first "faery" book that I read, and Iron King reminded me of it.

Rita Stradling (stradling) Tatiana wrote: "Ok, these are not YA, but they are my favorite fae books - Fever series by Karen Marie Moning."

I second that, the Fever Series rocks. Though the cliff hanger endings are kinda annoying. I'd suggest buying the series as a whole, otherwise you'll scream every time a book ends and have to burn rubber to the bookstore 5 times.

Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Rita wrote: "Tatiana wrote: "Ok, these are not YA, but they are my favorite fae books - Fever series by Karen Marie Moning."

I second that, the Fever Series rocks. Though the cliff hanger ending..."

If it had a more predictable outcome, you probably wouldn't like it though???? As an author endings are tricky. I write what's called "antennaed" endings where you have to imagine the last scene, but there's enough there for you to know what's going to happen. My editors always argue with me because a lot of readers like things all tied up, happy endings.

Sleepy Booknerd Sarah wrote: "Rita wrote: "Tatiana wrote: "Ok, these are not YA, but they are my favorite fae books - Fever series by Karen Marie Moning."

I second that, the Fever Series rocks. Though the clif..."

I like the anteenaed endings, but I think I'll always be the biggest fan of bittersweet endings :)
I'm also gonna check out the Fever series. They sound pretty good!

message 12: by Rita (last edited Mar 14, 2011 06:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rita Webb (ritawebb) | 77 comments Sarah wrote: "My editors always argue with me because a lot of readers like things all tied up, happy endings."

I think there is balance needed in closing off the first story before you give a cliff hanger for the next story. Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder is a good example of a cliff hanger that still resolved the story.