Unputdownables Book Club discussion

Book Club Selection > (March) Major Pettigrew's Last Stand

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wallace (new)

Wallace | 303 comments Mod
Major Pettigrew won the poll for our March book club read. As Shelli nominated it, she will be our discussion leader this month. Enjoy!

message 2: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) Great! I'm really looking forward to reading this one :)

message 3: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) I will definitely join for this one as I already have it and have been wanting to read it, but it will be later in the month when I get to it.

message 4: by Wallace (new)

I've read this one so I can jump in when people start discussing it.

message 5: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 113 comments I will be joining in too! Sorry I've been MIA lately. I've been busy with the boys and I just found out we are expecting another baby! I'm about 1/2 way done with my current book and then I have a library book to read. After that I will get MPLS for my Nook! :)

message 6: by Shelli (new)

Shelli I won't be able to start this until the very end of the month...sorry....if anyone wants to start the discussion...please do! Otherwise, I'll join in when I can...who knew two books I've picked recently would win...yikes!!

message 7: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) I won't be able to start this until later this month, too.

message 8: by Wallace (new)

Zoe wrote: "I will be joining in too! Sorry I've been MIA lately. I've been busy with the boys and I just found out we are expecting another baby! I'm about 1/2 way done with my current book and then I have..."

Ahhh! Congrats Zoe! When are you due?

message 9: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) I'm gonna have to bag on this read - I agreed to review too many books this month and won't have time.

message 10: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) I finally finished this one - hurrah! Does anyone want to discuss it?

message 11: by Wallace (new)

I can discuss it. I read it last summer, so I might be fuzzy, but I loved it.

Did you like it?

message 12: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) I finished last week and loved it. I will get my review and post it.

message 13: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) There are many things to love about this novel. The characterizations were so well defined. I loved the English gentlemen, Major Pettigrew, who celebrates his heritage, his patriotism and lives a traditional lifestyle, yet who so easily sees into the hearts and minds of his friends and family and does not allow differences and their inherent prejudices to interfere with true friendship and potential romance. I loved Mrs. Ali who in spite of cultural restrictions is such an independent thinker. And I loved Grace who is the epitome of what a good friend should be.

I also loved how this novel incorporates the love of books and reading and how that becomes one of the seeds of friendship between major characters. There was also a real exploration of difference both physically and culturally and how that dictates to so many how others are treated which is so relevant to our society today. It also explores family relationships and how they influence decisions made as well as how those relationships can change. It may start out slowly with a seeming emphasis on a pair of inherited guns but it develops into much more than that and even the guns take on much more significance than mere worth.

There is definitely a lot of thought about some pretty deep subjects that can come from reading this novel. However, it is also a really good story which celebrates life, love, family, memories and decisions which have potential to bring us both contentment and passion even as we grow older.

message 14: by Wallace (new)

Glad you liked it LemonLinda!

I also loved Mrs. Ali. I had almost hoped it wouldn't go to the places where it went at the end (it felt a tad contrived), but I loved the book anyway.

The pace of the book and the setting/character descriptions were so lovely.