To the Glory of Man discussion

Ayn Rand > Atlas Shrugged

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nasbly (new)

Nasbly Kalinina (nasblykalinina) | 3 comments I read this book about two months ago and I do like so much. The love story and Francisco’s money speech took me in until the end!
We could discuss a few details of the novel like the way in which Eddie ended alone in that desert!
And more serious things like the influence that this novel has taken in the American society.

message 2: by Ilyn (new)

Ilyn Ross (ilyn_ross) | 538 comments Mod
Thank you, Nasbly.

Wayz12 posted the speech in the "Ayn Rand Quotations" topic - it's also her all-time favorite.

What do you think of Eddie and the scene in the desert?

message 3: by Nasbly (new)

Nasbly Kalinina (nasblykalinina) | 3 comments Hi Ilyn:
The scene in the desert is a bit sad, since Eddie always showed his respect and fidelity to Dagny and then, the author just left him alone without any hope to be safe; in the time that the rest of the “good characters” of the novel where celebrating their triumph over the looters.
He supposed to know how to start the train but, the truth was that he did not because he worked around papers not to machines. Also, at the university we suppose to learn the skills to do a good job however, the fact is that we learn to be good workers at the work. Our tutors give us the knowledge and the practice the perfection of it!
I feel very sorry for Eddie even when I know he is just a character. That is the magic of reading and writing we get involved with those imaginary people and remember them as they were real!

message 4: by Ilyn (last edited Jan 19, 2009 01:21AM) (new)

I love all the heroes of Atlas Shrugged. I feel affinity with Eddie Willers - he does not have the superb mental prowess of some of the characters, but he always does his best; he has convictions and the courage & integrity to stand by them; he reveres heroes.

Eddie had the chance to go with Dagny and the other heroes, but he chooses to stay behind. This is consistent with his moral courage. I like to think that he survives and is there to welcome back the men of the mind.

At first, I did not understand why John Galt could not forgive Dr. Robert Stadler. The following also explains Dr. Ari Hugo's unwavering stance in REASON REIGNS:

Dr. Stadler, a scientist, is a man of great knowledge. Because of such knowledge, he has a mind superior to most men.

When a man with a mind like Dr. Stadler's compromises his convictions – he is delivering the innocents, youngsters and men like Eddie, to evil.

When a man of great learning does not stand up for the good, he is destroying the barriers protecting the innocents; he is unleashing evil upon the innocents.

This is why, in my mind, John Galt could not forgive Dr. Robert Stadler. This explains Dr. Ari Hugo's unwavering stance in REASON REIGNS.

message 5: by Japi (new)

Japi | 1 comments i've been reading about ayn rand's story and books online like in wiki but i've never get the chance to read the real books but ive heard it's really good. of the same genre i've been reading, like fahrenheit 451 and well...soon i'll read 1984..

I really have to get my hands on this kind of books.

message 6: by Ilyn (new)

Hi Japi!

message 7: by Nasbly (new)

Nasbly Kalinina (nasblykalinina) | 3 comments I do agree with you Ilyn. Also, when these things happen is when i do love to have the chance of meeting the writer and ask! it is a pity that most of my favourite authors are death!

message 8: by Ilyn (last edited Aug 29, 2008 05:21PM) (new)

Hello Nasbly. Hi everyone.

Ayn Rand answered lots of questions. It's a joy to read her ideas, to listen to her voice.

Have a wonderful weekend.

message 9: by Ilyn (last edited Aug 29, 2008 05:22PM) (new)

Faith in the supernatural begins as faith in the superiority of others.

- John Galt Speech

Do not say that you’re afraid to trust your mind because you know so little. Are you safer in surrendering to mystics and discarding the little that you know?

Live and act within the limit of your knowledge and keep expanding it to the limit of your life. Redeem your mind from the hockshops of authority.

Accept the fact that you are not omniscient, but playing a zombie will not give you omniscience — that your mind is fallible, but becoming mindless will not make you infallible — that an error made on your own is safer than ten truths accepted on faith, because the first leaves you the means to correct it, but the second destroys your capacity to distinguish truth from error.

- John Galt Speech

message 10: by Ilyn (new)

Existence exists - and the act of grasping that statement implies two corollary axioms: that something exists which one perceives and that one exists possessing consciousness, consciousness being the faculty of perceiving that which exists.

- Atlas Shrugged

message 11: by Ilyn (new)

Atlas Shrugged and the Financial Crisis: http://www.ask4direct.com/custom/krms

message 12: by Ilyn (new)

Hello Soferdig. Thank you for joining us and for sharing your thoughts.

message 13: by Ilyn (new)

Atlas Shrugged Tops Amazon’s Bestseller List

Washington, D.C., March 18, 2009--Earlier this year Ayn Rand’s prophetic novel Atlas Shrugged was selling at triple the rate it sold at in the beginning of 2008. Now the novel is soaring to even greater heights, and its trade paperback edition is currently in first place in the Classics category on Amazon.com’s best-seller list for sales in the United States. The 50th anniversary mass-market paperback edition of Atlas Shrugged ranks as #2 and the trade paperback Centennial edition ranks as #3. For several weeks Atlas Shrugged has been holding steady in the top 10 best-sellers in the broader United States Literature and Fiction category, and as of the writing of this release, different editions of the novel stand at #3, #5 and #6 in Amazon’s ranking.

In a recent Wall Street Journal op-ed, Yaron Brook, executive director of the Ayn Rand Institute, explained the parallels between Atlas Shrugged and today’s events.

“In Atlas Shrugged, Rand tells the story of the U.S. economy crumbling under the weight of crushing government interventions and regulations. Meanwhile, blaming greed and the free market, Washington responds with more controls that only deepen the crisis. Sound familiar?”

Brook also stressed the importance today of the book’s often overlooked message that capitalism cannot be properly defended without morally defending profit and self-interest: “. . . only an ethic of rational selfishness can justify the pursuit of profit that is the basis of capitalism--and that as long as self-interest is tainted by moral suspicion, the profit motive will continue to take the rap for every imaginable (or imagined) social ill and economic disaster. Just look how our present crisis has been attributed to the free market instead of government intervention--and how proposed solutions inevitably involve yet more government intervention to rein in the pursuit of self-interest.”

Those interested in understanding the morality of capitalism can learn more in Ayn Rand’s The Virtue of Selfishness--which, at #12 in the Classics category, is setting records of its own.

----------------

Copyright © 2009 Ayn Rand® Institute. All rights reserved.

Op-eds, press releases and letters to the editor produced by the Ayn Rand Center for Individual Rights are submitted to hundreds of newspapers, radio stations and Web sites across the United States and abroad, and are made possible thanks to voluntary contributions.

If you would like to help support ARC’s efforts, please make an online contribution at http://www.aynrandcenter.org/contribute.

This release is copyrighted by the Ayn Rand Institute, and cannot be reprinted without permission except for noncommercial, self-study or educational purposes. We encourage you to forward this release to friends, family, associates or interested parties who would want to receive it for these purposes only. Any reproduction of this release must contain the above copyright notice. Those interested in reprinting or redistributing this release for any other purposes should contact media@aynrandcenter.org. This release may not be forwarded to media for publication.

ARC’s media releases are solicitations sent to addresses obtained from individual subscription requests. You are subscribed as ilynross@optonline.net. If you prefer not to receive future releases, visit our Web site to change your email preferences.

The Ayn Rand Center for Individual Rights, 555 12th Street NW, Suite 620 N, Washington, DC 20004

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Interesting update from Barbara Branden, via Wendy McElroy:

http://wendymcelroy.com/news.php?exte...

message 15: by Ilyn (new)

Thank you, Brian.

message 16: by Ilyn (new)

Why Atlas Shrugged Changes Lives http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdcoDR...

message 17: by Ilyn (new)

John Galt's Speech - Atlas Shrugged

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNiJc7...

message 18: by Ilyn (new)

message 19: by Ilyn (last edited Nov 16, 2009 02:33AM) (new)

1957 letter to the NYT, responding to a negative review of Atlas Shrugged:

To The Editor:

“Atlas Shrugged” is a celebration of life and happiness. Justice is unrelenting. Creative individuals and undeviating purpose and rationality achieve joy and fulfillment. Parasites who persistently avoid either purpose or reason perish as they should.

Mr. Hicks suspiciously wonders “about a person who sustains such a mood through the writing of 1,100 pages and some fourteen years of work.” This reader wonders about a person who finds unrelenting justice personally disturbing.

– Alan Greenspan

message 20: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 1 comments I loved Hank Rearden. He is my favorite Rand character. I loved Atlas Shrugged. It was so real it was scary.

message 21: by Carol (new)

Carol Palmer | 1 comments Right now. Today. December 2020. I feel like I'm living in the middle of this novel. I know there are other Americans who feel the same way. My greatest hope is that we can find each other, work together, and survive.