Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > 2011-03 DRAGON'S EGG: roll call and initial impressions (NO SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Please let us know if you're reading or planning to read Dragon's Egg by Robert L. Forward, and any initial impressions.

No spoilers in this thread please!

message 2: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I plan to read this, though it was difficult (nearly impossible) to find locally, I was able to find it through an online reseller. It arrived last week.

message 3: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 136 comments Plan to read at some point

message 4: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments Planning on reading this right away.

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen | 32 comments Started yesterday.

message 6: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 804 comments For those having issues finding this book, both Amazon and Barnes and Noble released it in ebook format about 2 weeks ago. YAY! (I've been wanting an electronic copy for years.)

I'm a little over half way done with my reread and should be able to finish it by the end of the weekend.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Going to have to skip this one. Have too many books in the queue, and the blurb didn't grab my interest enough.

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen | 32 comments Oh, I am really, really liking this book. :-)

Thank you so much to whomever nominated this one!

message 9: by Nick (last edited Mar 04, 2011 09:05AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments Karen wrote: "Oh, I am really, really liking this book. :-)

Thank you so much to whomever nominated this one!"

I hear you on this, and I thank the nominator also! As I remember "Dragon's Egg" was nominated several times before it won. Soooo glad it finally did!

message 10: by Random (last edited Mar 04, 2011 12:48PM) (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 804 comments I'm the one who nominated it. I adore the book.

An interesting fact. I first ran across Dragon's Egg in a round about way.

A number of years ago my husband and I were bored enough to be watching an episode of Star Trek: Voyager. We found the basic premise of the episode fascinating. The execution was in our opinion highly disappointing.

My husband being curious did some research and discovered the episode had been inspired by a book written by an unknown (to us at least) author.

So, we ordered the book. When it arrived, my husband read it in one sitting. A few days later I repeated his performance. The Cheela are fascinating, and I loved the way certain things were presented.

And that's all the time I have right now. I should be able to get some topics going sometimes this weekend or by Monday at the latest.

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen | 32 comments I finished on Friday night. I will now go sit next to Random in the other room.

It was FABULOUS! I absolutely loved this book and highly recommend it.

I cried a couple of times, it was so moving. (So silly, I know, but that's me - I get very caught up in good books...)

message 12: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 217 comments about 60 pages in, really enjoying it; the kind of old-fashioned hard SF i haven't read for ages. The prologue blew me away. It does suffer a bit in the same was as some similar work (Clarke, Asimov, etc) in that some of the characterisation and dialogue is pretty dire - but that's not what it's about, it's a broad sweep of history approach. But it would've been nice if Forward's editor had maybe told him to leave out the speech marks.

message 13: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Flanagan | 23 comments I too would love to read this one, but I have to wait until I can afford to buy more books than I already have listed! lol

message 14: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I'm starting this tonight, even though I would really like to start Wise Man's Fear (which I can't take to work with me because it's signed and a first edition). My hope is to finish Dragon's Egg before the weekend.

message 15: by Hillary (new)

Hillary (nevaordinarie) I just started it Monday and I'm really struggling. The first 10 pages were a complete drag to me! Then again, I'm sitting in Japan now and there are plenty of intense things going on here to be distracting. Does it get a little easier to read?

message 16: by Karen (new)

Karen | 32 comments Yes, Hillary, the first section is such a morass of technical jargon and heavy astrophysics stuff - way over my head! But just bear with that; it'll be over soon. Except for a slight sprinkling of the hard-core physics here and there, the novel mostly revolves around the alien beings, the Cheela who are fascinating and -dare I say it- quite endearing.

Their stories make up the lion's share of the book.

message 17: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments Karen wrote: "the novel mostly revolves around the alien beings, the Cheela who are fascinating and -dare I say it- quite endearing. "

I'm glad I hung in there. The Cheela intrigue me to no end.

message 18: by Hillary (new)

Hillary (nevaordinarie) YAY! Thanks! I will dig in and read up today! :D

message 19: by Karen (new)

Karen | 32 comments It's too bad there wasn't more discussion on this book - it was SUCH a great read.