Terminalcoffee discussion

Pop Culture / Celebrities > Fudge you, Old Navy and Facebook

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Has anyone seen the "Welcome to the Ankle Show" commercial for Ankle Jeans and "Flirty Flats"? Well, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1uoQE...

I may be overreacting to this commercial, but when I first saw it, I was like, "Oh, okay, so this is meant to be ironic, right? 'cause there's nothing sexual about ankles, so they're riffing on that? Ah, look 'sexy things about a foot below your knees' I guess that's supposed to be funny? I don't get it." And then I get to the end of commercial where they say something about "Flirty Flats" (they might not even say anything, they might just flash the word up on the screen). That's when I said aloud to my TV screen, "What the hell?"

Must every little thing be sexualized? I'm having a hard time enough fitting into these damn skinny jeans without rubbing a hole in the inner thigh, and now my shoes are called "flirty"? I know they're just trying to sell something, but give me a fucking break.

It's just like that damn Special K commercial with the woman in the red dress. Yes, I eat Special K because I think it's gonna give me a suitable skin tone for red lipstick and it's gonna carve me a body shape to fit a fun, yet sultry red dress and red pumps at breakfast time. No! I eat Special K 'cause I like the taste, dammit.

Hmph.

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I bet there are some ankle fetishists out there.

(I'm not one of them, just to be clear.)

I like Special K, too, for the taste, and not because of how I look in red dresses.

message 3: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i bet you look great in red dresses.

message 4: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Yeah! I hate that commercial. Stupid.

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I like the latest from T-Mobile:

message 6: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments I believe the Village People should reassemble and record a song with the title, “Fuck You, Old Navy.”

message 7: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Ken wrote: "I believe the Village People should reassemble and record a song with the title, “Fuck You, Old Navy.”"

HAhahahahahah! HAH!

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I enjoy a well-turned calf and ankle, but aren't those the type of pants that are likely not going to be flattering on anyone who isn't a model? I like my legs but if I wore those I'd end up looking like I shrunk my jeans in the wash.

message 9: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Stephanie I'll bet they'll be perfect on you as normal pants!! SCORE!

message 10: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Oh, and if I see one more facebook status about a girl losing weight for "beach season," I'm gonna go nuts.

message 11: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I don't look at facebook.

::feels superior::

message 12: by Brittomart (last edited Mar 01, 2011 10:41AM) (new)

Brittomart I'm starting to go on facebook less and less, but most girls' posts are really starting to edge my nerves. They're either about:

a) how they don't need a man
b) how they love their boyfriend
c) niggas ain't shit
d) I'm losing weight so I can fit into a bikini
e) I'm wedding dress shopping and I'm 19!
f) my baby daddy ain't worth shit
g) I hate my haircut
h) class sucks/fuck this test/I can't study
i) fuck you other bitches, you only don't like me 'cause I'm pretty

And it's like ::eyeroll::

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I think we have very different facebook friends. Mine are either
a)political
b)babies
c)gigs and music
d)horses
e)the strange guy I should really block who insists on wishing every celebrity ever - live or deceased - a happy birthday.
f)the vegan fact guy
g)The people who don't get that they could probably get fired for half the things they say about their places of work

I'm ok with all of those except e and f, really.

message 14: by Joe (new)

Joe (attometer) I agree about Old Navy and Facebook.

I also agree with Larry.

message 15: by Ken (last edited Mar 01, 2011 10:56AM) (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments All my facebook friends are strippers, or as I refer to them now, The Goddesses, so harmony reigns.

message 16: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart You know Ken, sometimes I just can't figure you out. And that's okay, I think.

message 17: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments iBritt wrote: "You know Ken, sometimes I just can't figure you out. And that's okay, I think."

Really? I think I’m pretty easy to figure out. I just say whatever ridiculous shit pops into my head at a given moment with little inhibition and an obvious absence of thought.

message 18: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments iBritt wrote: "I'm starting to go on facebook less and less, but most girls' posts are really starting to edge my nerves. They're either about:

b) how they love their boyfriend
c) ni..."

Ouch. I do hate my haircut. My stupid bangs are too short and now stick straight up in the f-ing air.

message 19: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments Ken wrote: "All my facebook friends are strippers, or as I refer to them now, The Goddesses, so harmony reigns."

But are you winning?

message 20: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments I’m winning, with the proviso that an ATM always be nearby.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I love ignoring fashion trends. Ha ha! You want me to wear WHAT? Hee! I'm not gonna!

My FB friends post about food, weather, and politics, and occasionally amusing library stuff.

I loved this, that my coselector/librarian friend Kim posted:
Organizing the Bookcase

I've had to watch it several times. :)

message 22: by smetchie (last edited Mar 01, 2011 11:19AM) (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments But are you winning?

..and a warlock?

message 23: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Ken wrote: "iBritt wrote: "You know Ken, sometimes I just can't figure you out. And that's okay, I think."

Really? I think I’m pretty easy to figure out. I just say whatever ridiculous shit pops into my hea..."

Except when you're debating?

message 24: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments iBritt wrote: "Ken wrote: "iBritt wrote: "You know Ken, sometimes I just can't figure you out. And that's okay, I think."

Really? I think I’m pretty easy to figure out. I just say whatever ridiculous shit pops i..."

I see what you mean. Yes, that may seem like a split personality of sorts. Could be a Gemini thing (And I’m sticking to my original designation according to Astrology Classic).

message 25: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "I loved this, that my coselector/librarian friend Kim posted:
Organizing the Bookcase

I've had to watch it several times. :)"

i loved that.

message 26: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I think my facebook friends need some self-esteem.

But me telling someone else to get some self-esteem? Talk about the pot and the kettle!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yay, Janine! I love the little dragon statue scooting around on the side table. :)
You'll like it, Bun. And Sally will like the music.

message 28: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments iBritt wrote: "I'm starting to go on facebook less and less, but most girls' posts are really starting to edge my nerves. They're either about:

h) class sucks/fuck this test/I can't study"

So then Facebook is where you get all of your ideas for posts here?

message 29: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart No, Facebook is where I get all of my "How to Torture Clark Today" ideas.

message 30: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I thought that commercial was cute. The ads I hate are the American Apparel ads, which look like they were created by a pedophile.

message 31: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11628 comments Special-K has a taste?

message 32: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments Yes, cardboard and wheat...at least it says there's wheat in it, sometimes I swear I can taste it. Could be the power of suggestion though.

message 33: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24152 comments Mod
I'm so glad I'm not on Facebook, and maybe Old Navy is harkening back to Victorian days, when a glimpse of ankle sent a man into a weak-kneed tizzy.

message 34: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Phil wrote: "Special-K has a taste?"

Phil, regular plain old special K tastes like cardboard, but the other kinds of special K, like Vanilla Almond, Chocolate Delight, Honey Nut, etc. are AMAZING. I don't like the ones with berries.

message 35: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Jackie, love the video!

message 36: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Ken wrote: "All my facebook friends are strippers, or as I refer to them now, The Goddesses, so harmony reigns."

Ken, you are very entertaining!!!!

message 37: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11628 comments Ken wrote: "All my facebook friends are strippers, or as I refer to them now, The Goddesses, so harmony reigns."

Harmony being your current favorite stripper from The Goddesses?

message 38: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "... maybe Old Navy is harkening back to Victorian days, when a glimpse of ankle sent a man into a weak-kneed tizzy."

That's what I thought when I saw the commercial... I thought it was kind of a clever nod. Not so much sexualizing the ankle as resexualizing it (which I'm in favor of... my ankles are not the worst part of my body).

message 39: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments F-you
Marry Old Navy
Kill Facebook

message 40: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments Phil wrote: "Ken wrote: "All my facebook friends are strippers, or as I refer to them now, The Goddesses, so harmony reigns."

Harmony being your current favorite stripper from The Goddesses?"

Not to brag (Okay, I'm bragging) but last night she reigned four times.

message 41: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17322 comments Mod
smetchie wrote: "F-you
Marry Old Navy
Kill Facebook"

This is the only thing I understand in this thread.

message 42: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Sally wrote: "smetchie wrote: "F-you
Marry Old Navy
Kill Facebook"

This is the only thing I understand in this thread."

Well, you are one up on me :-)

message 43: by Sally, la reina (new)

**balances on Jim's outheld arm**

message 44: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Light as a feather you are!

message 45: by Sally, la reina (new)

Dude, you don't even know. Afterwords my clothes are all sopping wet and I swear weigh about five pounds. I like to think of it as all the fat turning liquid in the heat and just dripping off/out of me.

message 46: by Sally, la reina (new)

I've lost at least fifteen pounds.

message 47: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments ::looks for hot yoga::

message 48: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Sally wrote: "I've lost at least fifteen pounds."

Good for you!

message 49: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11628 comments Barb wrote: "It's all that hot yoga."

And farting.

message 50: by Sally, la reina (new)

So much weight escaping through my vagina!

« previous 1