College Students! discussion

music, movies, tv, etc. > Books to Movies

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
It seems we are being overcome by movies based on books.
To be released in 2011:
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Red Riding Hood
The Lincoln Lawyer
The Rite
The Help
I am Number Four
Water for Elephants
Something Borrowed
Cowboys and Aliens

This doesn't include any that are to be released after 2012. What are some that you are excited for? Are there any you wish they would leave alone?

message 2: by Kayla (last edited Mar 01, 2011 01:58PM) (new)

Kayla | 604 comments Water for Elephants! I am so excited for that movie, partly because I loved the book and partly because I'll be glad to see Reese Witherspoon again-it seems like it's been forever since she's been in a new movie (that I was interested in).

I'm also excited about Beastly. I'm about to start the book (Beastly) so that I can see the movie right away after I read it. I never actually thought much about reading this book until I saw the movie preview, and it just looked so good!

My mom really wants to see Red Riding Hood and I'll probably go see it with her.

message 3: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I am excited for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. So far, I like the casting and I hope they stay true to the book.

I am apprehensive about Water for Elephants. I love Reese and that is a great cast, but Robert Pattinson? Not so much.

They are going to do The Mortal Instruments, and they have 2 rumored Jace's. :) funny. Neither are cute enough to be him. They did cast Clary pretty good I think.

And the one I am definitely NOT looking forward too. Uglies says it is to have a 2011 release date, but there is noone listed on the cast.

message 4: by Niel (new)

Niel | 390 comments A movie i am waiting for is Skulduggery Pleasant which is rumored to come out in 2013.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 03, 2011 09:56AM) (new)

Im waithing to watch/read Red Riding Hood, Beastly, and The Rite.

I have seen and read I am Number Four though, both were pretty good, a little fast paced though.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy Harrison | 26 comments Tami wrote: "I am excited for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. So far, I like the casting and I hope they stay true to the book.

I am apprehensive about Water for Elephants. I love Reese and that is a great..."

Have you seen Robert Pattinson in any other movies? He can be pretty sensitive and versatile, like in "Remember Me" or "The Haunted Airman".

message 7: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
The only other movie I have seen him in is the Harry Potter he was in. I saw previews for Remember Me and it really looked like a sappy romance movie (Not my thing at all) so I didn't watch that. I haven't even heard of the other one.

I think it is just him. I saw some interviews and things before and after the whole Twilight mania has hit. Part of it is because of the whole book to movie thing. He definitely doesn't fit my idea of Jacob in Water for Elephants. Oh how funny! Think all Team Jacob people are going to have to add last names to their shirts and things now?

message 8: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments I did like him in Remember Me. That was a surprisingly good movie, and I'm not into sappy romances. I was actually surprised at his acting, I spent most of the movie saying "Why couldn't he be like this in Twilight!"

Uglies is being made into a movie? Ugh. I can't imagine that turning out well.

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy Harrison | 26 comments Tami wrote: "The only other movie I have seen him in is the Harry Potter he was in. I saw previews for Remember Me and it really looked like a sappy romance movie (Not my thing at all) so I didn't watch that. I..."

"The Haunted Airman" is a English-made tv movie, one of the few horror movies that I like. I think that the Twilight movies really put this shadow on him, and it's not his best acting.

message 10: by Anika (new)

Anika (anlynn) | 106 comments I'm definitely excited about Water For Elephants, but like a lot of you, I'm nervous about Robert Pattinson playing Jacob. I think that it will be easy to enjoy the movie, though, because honestly the book wasn't one of my favorites. I'm looking forward to seeing if the writer (Richard LaGravenese, who has done a good job on previous movies) changes anything that might make the story better. It has the potential to be a good movie.

Another movie that hasn't been mentioned is Jane Eyre, which I believe comes out in the next few weeks...? This is one that I really don't want them to screw up. I know I'll go see it, and I'm really hoping it is loyal to the book!

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy Harrison | 26 comments I just heard about Jane Eyre, and I'm excited that Mia Wasikowska is playing Jane. She did a really good job in Alice in Wonderland, even though I was skeptical at first to see the movie.

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris | 93 comments "When I read it I was convinced Stephenie was convinced she was Bella and it was like it was a book that wasn't supposed to be published. It was like reading her sexual fantasy, especially when she said it was based on a dream and it was like, 'Oh I've had this dream about this really sexy guy,' and she just writes this book about it. Like some things about Edward are so specific, I was just convinced, like, 'This woman is mad. She's completely mad and she's in love with her own fictional creation.' And sometimes you would feel uncomfortable reading this thing."
-Robert Pattinson on Twilight

I actually developed a modicum of respect for him after reading this, but I'm still not crazy about him. And I'm with the gang of ppl who think casting him in Water for Elephants was a poor choice. In what alternate universe does Robert Pattinson look even remotely Polish???? Come on now.

message 13: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Chris wrote: "And I'm with the gang of ppl who think casting him in Water for Elephants was a poor choice. In what alternate universe does Robert Pattinson look even remotely Polish???? Come on now. ..."

I'm guessing you didn't like him in that movie? I haven't seen it yet but the trailer makes him look pretty decent.

message 14: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Did anyone read Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher ? It's being made into a movie starring Selena Gomez.

message 15: by Chris (new)

Chris | 93 comments I READ IT!!!!!! It was a pretty good book but definitely very teeny and YA.

And no, I haven't seen Water for Elephants yet but I'm not big on Robert Pattinson. The Twilight movies were almost as shitty as the books.

message 16: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I'm not a big fan of him either but he was pretty decent in Remember Me.

message 17: by Tami (last edited May 12, 2011 08:27AM) (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I stumbled upon a book based on charactes from Rizzoli and Isles TV show. Then I saw it was something like book 10 of the series and the show has only been on for one season, so the series was based on the books. So, what other TV shows are based on books?

There are the obvious ones like The Vampire Diaries and True Blood, and the not so well known books like Bones, but are there others?

Any you have read and watch? Are the adaptions better, worse or the same as books to movies?

message 18: by Chris (new)

Chris | 93 comments I know Dexter and Monk are both based on book series. I'm gonna try and read the Dexter ones this year.

message 19: by Tami (last edited Apr 21, 2014 09:52AM) (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Just saw this on MSN. Books to read before the movie is released.

http://glo.msn.com/relationships/8-bo...

I have only read 2 of them.

message 20: by Kaya (new)

Kaya I really like how One Day was done as a movie. Actors were really digging into the characters and all important scenes were actually shot.

message 21: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Is anyone watching Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments series? I think the casting is better than the movie was, and it seems to be following the books better. I don't think I have watched all episodes yet, but pleasantly surprised.

message 22: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 604 comments Tami wrote: "Is anyone watching Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments series? I think the casting is better than the movie was, and it seems to be following the books better. I don't think I have watched all ep..."

I just got caught up on the series last week. I also think the casting is better, except for Magnus. Magnus in the movie was gorgeous!

Now, Alex is the gorgeous one in the relationship! ;)

I honestly haven't read the books yet (I was waiting for all of them to be released before I started the series). I have the first 2 books, so I think I'm going to dive in soon.

message 23: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 604 comments *Alec not Alex. Whoops!

message 24: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Totally agree with the Magnus/Alec thing. Alec is way cuter than Magnus.
Jace is still not near as hot as he is supposed to be, but so much better than the movie. This one actually looks like a fighter. Not so skinny/emo/whatever.

message 25: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Just saw this. Excited! Especially with Dame Judi Dench involved. Love her!
http://www.empireonline.com/movies/ne...