Julie Orringer Discussion Group discussion

Book Club selection

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathleen (last edited Mar 02, 2011 06:51AM) (new)

Kathleen | 1 comments As one of the authors of "Reading Between The Wine...the story of a traveling book club" and a book club member for 10 years I am always looking for the perfect book to add to our list. 'The Invisible Bridge' proved to be one of the best stories of 2010. The harshness of landscape balanced with the softness of souls brought us to tears and wonder more than once.
We must take the time to ask ourselves where does courage develop? Is it in our DNA or a refection of our surroundings or both? All the questions of humanity are forced to the surface and made us wonder if we could display such sense of devotion.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 1 comments Is this book based on Ms. Orringer's family history? I found this book very compelling. Though I have read a lot of books on World War II I haven't read one so personally entrenched in Hungarian history.

message 3: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1 comments At the end of the book, in the acknowledgments I believe, Ms. Orringer indicates that the book is loosely based on the events of her family.

message 4: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Yes, in particular, her grandfather. Here's an essay she wrote for Powell's on the topic: http://www.powells.com/blog/?p=18529

message 5: by RuthG (new)

RuthG When I started reading this book, I found I just couldn't put it down. Since then I have recommended it to every reader I know. Having a friend who escaped from Hungary in 1957 made it even more meaningful for me, and then recently I found that another friend had also escaped and been shot while escaping.

message 6: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I've been recommending it to everyone, too. Just absolutely a 5 star read for me.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann Gainer | 1 comments Suzanne wrote: "At the end of the book, in the acknowledgments I believe, Ms. Orringer indicates that the book is loosely based on the events of her family."

Thanks so much for this link! It is enlightening, answering many questions that emerged for me while reading the book.