Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Non-series Books > The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta

Comments Showing 1-50 of 120 (120 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Hey, fellow rabid Melina Marchetta fans! I was looking for a place to post some news, and thought I would just make a topic for this book since I know we will all be discussing soon.

Anyway, I just wanted to let y'all know that there's currently a giveaway going on in the firstreads section for Piper's Son!!! There's only one copy and a bagillion people already requesting, but maybe one of us could win.

See you all here in March for the discussion!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) What! A giveaway!

message 3: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Yeah! Go put your name in!

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments I just signed up! Thanks for the tip Catie.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) I did! I did!

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Has anyone read it yet? I think there were some people who did. I need to talk about it with someone.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments I think Carmel did, but that's it. You'll have to find some Aussie friends to chat with for a few more days at least.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Ok, when I'm done with dinner maybe I'll go start a spoiler thread....

message 9: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) I'm such an idiot - it took me listening to the nursery rhymes part of Room today to realize that this title is a reference to "Tom Tom the Piper's Son." And I have two kids!!

message 10: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Haha. Yes, I do feel like I have lost about 1/2 of my memory. I'll probably have complete amnesia by the time my girls are in their 20's.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments Catie wrote: "I'm such an idiot - it took me listening to the nursery rhymes part of Room today to realize that this title is a reference to "Tom Tom the Piper's Son." And I have two kids!!"

It took me a little while to catch that too. Then when it hit me I was shaking me head at my stupidity.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments So... even though I PRE-ORDERED the book Amazon says my order is "preparing for shipment" hopingfully I can get my hands on it soon. Until then I think it's time for a Francesca re-read.

I cannot wait!

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments Yes, so terrible dealing with Fran and Will. How will I survive?

Did I mention I got the free super slow shipping too? It will take forever. But what can I say, I'm cheap and didn't wanna pay full price.

I think the anticipation is half the fun (when it's not killing me). AND thanks to you I get 2 Melina books in the same month! I just don't know what I'm going to do with myself.

Then begins to wait for Froi of the Exiles! Which I happen to be stoked about! (You might have to buy that one for me too... I'll pay I promise and we can send it around to our fellow Melina Marchetta addicts just like Danny's book!)

message 14: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Haha, you crack me up Brittany. My library website still says that The Piper's Son is "In-Process." Yes, I have been checking it every day. I am the one and only person waiting on the hold list though...what the heck is wrong with everyone else in Prince William County, VA?? Don't they realize what they're missing?

message 15: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) That's funny, I preordered mine too and it shipped out on 'Tuesday' (but I think they really shipped it on Monday) and it delivered yesterday.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) None of my libraries even say they have it yet. It takes a good week after the release date for them to show up on their site. I was going to buy it, but I am kind of waiting to see if my libraries Overdrive gets the audio version because I listened to an excerpt of the audio and it sounded good.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments Catie wrote: "Haha, you crack me up Brittany. My library website still says that The Piper's Son is "In-Process." Yes, I have been checking it every day. I am the one and only person waiting on the hold list ..."

No one hear gets it either. When I'm at the library I always check to see if her books are out and they are always on the shelf. It makes me sad. People just don't know what they are missing.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments Wendy F wrote: "That's funny, I preordered mine too and it shipped out on 'Tuesday' (but I think they really shipped it on Monday) and it delivered yesterday."

I hate you Wendy. (not really)

message 19: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) My library status changed to "transferred" today - since I requested it at my branch, that means it's coming my way!!! WOOOOO!!!

message 20: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Brittany wrote: "Wendy F wrote: "That's funny, I preordered mine too and it shipped out on 'Tuesday' (but I think they really shipped it on Monday) and it delivered yesterday."

I hate you Wendy. (not really)"

Hahaha, that's okay. Remember how long I waited for Shadowfever!

message 21: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) I just got the notice that my copy is waiting for me at the library - YAY! I had this master plan for today (because I thought this might be the day). I had already planned to take my two girls to story/craft time at the library this morning. It would have been so perfect...if the story/craft time weren't at a totally different branch!! Waaa. I may be visiting two libraries this morning. Hopefully my girls don't think I'm too crazy.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Yay Catie!

message 23: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) I got it!! I went to two library branches in the same morning. My girls were good troopers.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) I just bought the audiobook for Piper's Son for $9 from Books on Board. I have never bought anything from them - anyone else use them before?

message 25: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) No, but that sounds awesome. You'll have to let me know how the audio is. Who is the narrator? Anyone familiar? That's a good price too.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) The narrator is some cool sounding Aussie guy. I am listening to it now and and it seems fine. Yay! And all for $9 bucks. I am going to use this website again!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Michael Finney is is name - no other audiobooks on audible are narrated by him that I could see. They have a sample if you want to hear him.

message 28: by Heidi (Yup. Still here.) (last edited Mar 13, 2011 10:04AM) (new)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_1?... - click the sample button.

message 29: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) I finished it last night...stayed up until 2am! Still thinking over what I want to write in my review. Right now all my brain can come up with is "spluh" but in a good way.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments Heidi, I did a preview on audible and he's good. I think the girl from Jellicoe is better, but I had a full 8 hours with her and only 5 minutes with this guy. It made me really want to read the book. Come on Amazon. Get your butt in gear! Well, I guess it's made it as far as Denver, so that's closer. Still, I'm excited.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) It is official! I have a new crush. Brittany the narrator really grows on you. I am over half done and IMO he is Tom. *sigh* I think I am in love.

message 32: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Haha! I wish that I could listen to it. There are some great parts. I can totally see how you would fall in love with Tom. It helps that my husband's name is Tom...he's already got name recognition with me :)

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments Heidi I wrote: "It is official! I have a new crush. Brittany the narrator really grows on you. I am over half done and IMO he is Tom. *sigh* I think I am in love."

It always takes me at least an hour to adjust to a new narrator. And it takes time to get sucked into a book in general. So, it's not totally fair for me to judge this guy based on 5 minutes of listening to that lovely Aussie accent.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) I am having Tom withdrawls! I can't wait until work is over so I can listen to him again.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) I only have an hour left of the audiobook and my heart aches for Tom. Can't wait until after work when I can listen on the way home. I am actually sad to finish it if that makes sense - I want it to go on and on forever.

message 36: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) I know what you mean. I want to go back and re-read.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments I STILL don't have the book! But I didn't pay shipping. I've heard it's absolutely heartwenching and depressing, but in the best way.

message 38: by Isamlq (last edited Mar 16, 2011 06:48PM) (new)

Isamlq | 177 comments Heidi I wrote: "It is official! I have a new crush. Brittany the narrator really grows on you. I am over half done and IMO he is Tom. *sigh* I think I am in love."

Check this out: http://inkcrush.blogspot.com/2011/03/...

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments Shame on you for posting that... the blogger has a YA Aussie page?! I can't tell if I should be excited or upset by the numerous amounts of books that will be going on my TBR list because of this!

But Congrats to Melina Marchetta! She is amazing and deserves pretty much every award in the YA book world! I just love her!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Thanks for the article Isamlq - yay for Melina. It is well well deserved. I just plain love her.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) I am done. Wow.

message 42: by Isamlq (last edited Mar 16, 2011 07:49PM) (new)

Isamlq | 177 comments Brittany wrote: "Shame on you for posting that... the blogger has a YA Aussie page?! I can't tell if I should be excited or upset by the numerous amounts of books that will be going on my TBR list because of this! ..."

@Brittany, my YA Aussie list has grown out of hand too. I also just signed on to follow Nic at Irresistible Reads(her list is so helpful too.)

@Heidi I, Yeah, Congrats to Ms. Marchetta, right? She totally deserves it. The Piper's Son is one of my favorite books so far this year.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments Jealous Heidi. I guess mine is at the post office. I will be picking it up tomorrow!

Yay! I cannot wait!

message 44: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (bookworm20) | 67 comments I get to start reading it tonight! Yay! Is that a good wow Heidi??? lol

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Yes. I love Melina!

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments So I went and picked up the book today from the post office, but it's March madness. I'm SO torn! There is just not enough time in the day.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments Nope, not yet, but i saw that Catie got her's. I live out in the middle of nowhere so I'm not really surprised. I'd say give it until next week sometime.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) It has taken me two days, but I finally had the energy to review Piper's Son. I was drained!

message 49: by Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) (last edited Mar 18, 2011 11:20AM) (new)

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments hmm... now I'm even more excited to read it! Somehow I have a feeling that it's draining in a depressing Mockingjay type way.

That's why I haven't brought it to read while at work. I cannot go from that to being cheerful around my kids or on the phone, then sink back into the depression. I want to wait until I can completely immerse myself in Tom's world.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Good idea Brittany. I will say it does have a lot of funny (smart ass) parts too. Tom is one funny guy when he wants to be.

« previous 1 3