Children's Books discussion

The Picture-Book Club > April 2011: Royalty Theme (Master List and General Discussion)

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Mar 15, 2011 08:40AM) (new)

Kathryn | 5946 comments Mod
The votes are in and the books for April's Royalty Theme are chosen (see Message 40).

----------------------------------------------

In considering our Royalty Theme, I would love to include some newer fictional stories about princesses and/or little girls who pretend to be princesses. It might be cool to include a picture book biography on real-life royalty or something about castles. And don't forget all the kings and princes out there! I want to be all-inclusive here! :-) And, of course, there are fairytales! I hope we can showcase a variety of books about "royalty" and not just use the stories most are already familiar with.

If you have any questions on how the Picture Book Club nominations/voting process works, please see here:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

Votes will be accepted until March 15th. Have fun!

message 2: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Mar 01, 2011 08:35AM) (new)

message 3: by Dolly (last edited Mar 02, 2011 06:24AM) (new)

message 4: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Dolly wrote: "(can you tell we love Demi?) "

:-) I do, too! Thanks for the great suggestions.

message 5: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Mar 02, 2011 08:09AM) (new)

Abigail wrote: "The Secret Lives of Princesses, by Philippe Lechermeier"

Thanks for the nominations. I just wanted to note that The Secret Lives of Princesses looks like a longer picture book (88 pages and containing multiple stories). I know some of our members want longer picture books but just an FYI that this would be in the upper-age range for our Picture Book Club crowd and so if it gets a lot of votes I will make it the alternate title. (I agree it looks wonderful!)

message 6: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Abigail wrote: "Oh dear, I wasn't thinking of age level! You're right, The Secret Lives of Princesses is pretty advanced..."

No problem. It's easy to get carried away over such lovely books :-)

message 7: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollymart) | 252 comments Here's another book about a Tsar - perhaps our favorite...

The Tale of Tsar Saltan

message 8: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (leighb) The Kiss That Missed
Princesses are not Quitters

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments I'm interested but so overwhelmed these days (even though I've read all the books I haven't posted any messages about them for our music theme this month) and I see many books listed that I'd have nominated, so I'm leaving the nominations to other members. When it's time to vote, I'll try to vote for my top favorite 5. This should be another great month!

message 10: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Leigh wrote: "The Kiss That Missed
Princesses are not Quitters"

Thank you, Leigh. I'm going to make the link so it's easy for members to read more about each title:

The Kiss That Missed

Princesses Are Not Quitters!

message 11: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Mar 02, 2011 02:29PM) (new)

Lisa wrote: "I'm interested but so overwhelmed these days (even though I've read all the books I haven't posted any messages about them for our music theme this month) and I see many books listed that I'd have ..."

No worries! Looking forward to having you join our discussion (of Music and of Royalty) when you find time :-) Thanks for expressing your continuing interest!

message 14: by Anne (new)

Anne Nydam | 124 comments How about an oldie-but-goodie

The Queen Who Couldn't Bake Gingerbread

message 15: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 7687 comments Mod
A few more, these are more like picture book biographies, so they might be a bit text heavy (and one of them is called an Elizabethan alphabet book about the processions of Elizabeth I):

Peter the Great

Good Queen Bess : The Story of Elizabeth I of England

William the Conqueror

The Queen's Progress

message 16: by Wilhelmina (last edited Mar 03, 2011 12:32PM) (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 229 comments I really like the King Arthur books by Hudson Talbott:

The Sword in the Stone

King Arthur and the Round Table

Excalibur

And King Midas and the Golden Touch is a beautiful version of the old story.

message 17: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

As a reminder, today is the last day to nominate books for our Royalty Theme. And thanks to everyone for the wonderful suggestions that have already come in!

message 19: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Okay, it's time to VOTE! Please vote choosing from only the books nomiated in Message 2 through Message 20. Please choose five books and vote for them by posting in a comment here. Votes will be accepted until March 15th. Have fun! :-)

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments I"m going to abstain but I plan to read all the selected books if I can borrow them from the library.

There are a whole bunch here I've read and could recommend and many that look good. But, my schedule is overly full, so I'll be happy to just be surprised with the results. If I find a book, or a few books, new to me, that will be fun. I'm happy to read or remember any of the above.

message 23: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Abigail wrote: "Also, I know we don't get a "vote," when it comes to the alternate, but I'd love to have an excuse to finally get to The Secret Lives of Princesses! Just thought I'd mention it, just in case it was in the running... :)"

;-) I need an excuse to read this, too. Maybe, if it doesn't win, some of us could get together and read it anyway soon!

message 25: by Dolly (last edited Mar 09, 2011 04:04AM) (new)

message 26: by Manybooks (last edited Mar 09, 2011 04:16AM) (new)

Ronyell wrote: "Here are my picks:

The Fool and the Flying Ship

Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters

The Firebird

The Empty Pot

[book:The Hungry Coa..."

Ronyell, I know it is difficult to choose with all of these great selections, but we are only supposed to vote for five books (I would also have liked to vote for more, sigh).

message 27: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (onthemove) I hope for the final list there is a mixture of prince and princesses. Since I have one child and he is all boy, I know that he will not be interested in all princess books. Friends can't even get him to play with dolls.

I think most of the members that have girls only voted for princess books.

I have never read a book about Royality so I am at a bit of a loss this month and don't have to time to do a bunch of research, so I will trust you guys on this month.

Thanks for being such a great group to be in!

message 28: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Gundula wrote: "Ronyell, I know it is difficult to choose with all of these great selections, but we are only supposed to vote for five books (I would also have liked to vote for more, sigh)."

Yes, Ronyell, please edit your comment to your top five selections. Ah, decisions, decisions! ;-)

message 29: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Leslie wrote: "I hope for the final list there is a mixture of prince and princesses. Since I have one child and he is all boy, I know that he will not be interested in all princess books. Friends can't even ge..."

Thank you for your comment, Leslie, and I will take that into consideration when I tally the votes and make the final selections. I am the deciding vote for tie-breakers and also it is very important to me to include at least one book featuring a boy protagonist so I will be sure there is something for the non-princesses in our group :-)

message 30: by Manybooks (new)

Kathryn wrote: "Leslie wrote: "I hope for the final list there is a mixture of prince and princesses. Since I have one child and he is all boy, I know that he will not be interested in all princess books. Friend..."

I think one of the problems is that there are simply more stories featuring princesses and queens. It also seems to me that, except for fairy tales, many of the picture books about kings are biographies, which can sometimes get a bit text-heavy.

message 31: by Ronyell (last edited Mar 09, 2011 11:47PM) (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 213 comments Gundula wrote: "Ronyell wrote: "Here are my picks:

The Fool and the Flying Ship

The Firebird

The Empty Pot

[book:The Hung..."

Oh I'm sorry! I meant to say that those were some suggestions for the books to read in April. I already changed it to book suggestions and I just listed my five picks on the bottom.

message 33: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Mar 10, 2011 08:04AM) (new)

Ronyell wrote: "Oh I'm sorry! I meant to say that those were some suggestions for the books to read in April. I already changed it to book suggestions and I just listed my five picks on the bottom."

Thanks, Ronyell. Those will be nice to have on hand for our Master List :-)

But, just to clarify, they are not eligible for votes as only those nominations that came in during our official nominating period (and appear in Messages 2 through 20) are eligible for voting.

message 36: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Mar 15, 2011 08:43AM) (new)

The votes are in and here are the winners:

The Princess Knight

King Bidgood's in the Bathtub

Queen Esther The Morning Star

The Twelve Dancing Princesses by Marianna Mayer

Alternate Title:
The Prince Won't Go to Bed!

I've actually already read four out of these six and I know we're in for another great month of books and discussions come April! Thanks to all for the great nominations and for voting :-) (I'll put up a new thread April 1st to begin the official discussion.)

message 37: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Marcos (crystalmarcos) | 477 comments Thanks! Great list! I'll start reserving tonight!

message 38: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Mar 15, 2011 10:27AM) (new)

Crystal wrote: "Thanks! Great list! I'll start reserving tonight!"

Hope you can get them all!

I'm able to get all of them except Queen Esther The Morning Star.

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Yet another great list! Thanks Kathryn and everyone who nominated books.

I have read 1, have 1 at home to read anyway, and was able to reserve the other 4, 3 from my library and 1 from my library's sister library system. So, I'll get to read all of them. Lucky me!

message 40: by Manybooks (new)

I was able to request all of the selections from the library (yay), although there is a bit of a line-up for The Prince Won't Go to Bed!. Looking forward to the discussion.

message 41: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Yay, that is great news, Lisa and Gundula! :-)

message 42: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Marcos (crystalmarcos) | 477 comments I was able to get them all too. =)

message 43: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Crystal wrote: "I was able to get them all too. =)"

YAY!

message 44: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Abigail wrote: "Another great list, Kathryn! I've just checked my county's library website, and I too will be able to access all of these titles! Yahoo! :)"

I'm so happy that many of you are able to get all six of the titles. I hope that the good fortune continues for all our members!

message 45: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 213 comments Great list Kathryn!!! Two of them I've already read, but I can't wait to discuss them with everyone!

message 46: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Mar 23, 2011 08:46AM) (new)

Please note that, in reading over reviews, it sounds like Queen Esther The Morning Star might not be appropriate for younger/sensitive readers as it does deal with vengeance and is a bit dark. I'm guessing those of you who voted for it (or are familiar with the Biblical story) already know this but just wanted to post a little note in case some aren't aware of the story of Esther.

message 47: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Barrett Wow, now I'm intrigued. Too bad they didn't have Queen Esther The Morning Star at the library!

message 48: by Manybooks (new)

Abigail wrote: "I wanted to make sure to get in at least one non-fiction picture-book, about an a historical royal, as a companion to our official selections this month, and I chose Diane Stanley and Peter Verenna..."

I have placed this on order at the library, although the only copy is currently signed out (something to look forward to). And I just want to mention a really excellent alphabet book for older children about Queen Elizabeth I, The Queen's Progress, really excellent, both fun and educational, with wonderful illustrations (and a thriller at that).

message 49: by Manybooks (new)

Abigail wrote: "Gundula wrote: "And I just want to mention a really excellent alphabet book for older children about Queen Elizabeth I, The Queen's Progress, really excellent, both fun and educational, with wonder..."

Yeah, as long as our book piles don't fall on us, ha :-)