Q&A with Courtney Conant discussion

Ebook , Print or Audiobook?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Courtney (last edited Mar 01, 2011 06:37AM) (new)

Courtney Conant (courtneyconant) | 10 comments Mod
What's your preference?

I've always been a fan of print. It's my first and foremost choice. A few years ago, I started really getting into audiobooks though. The first one that I listened to was House Atreides read by Tim Curry (one of my all-time favorite actors) and have been adicted ever since.

Only recently, have I started reading ebooks and I'm still up in the air on that format.

message 2: by Daniel (last edited Mar 01, 2011 08:21AM) (new)

Daniel Audet (danielaudet) | 5 comments Personally I prefer having a book in my hands.For me as an author, even my first few short story releases, I will be looking at every format I can possibly release a short story or book in. Here's why: People, or more specifically readers, want to be able to access their books and book lists anytime, anywhere nowadays. Maybe it's on a plane or bus or train and they have a netbook, laptop or smartphone or even a reader, or, they want to sit back, close their eyes and be read to using an audio-book. This is something I often do while driving. Many, like me, ( and this is something I share the same view as Courtney) enjoy having a "book", a real hard bound or paper-back BOOK in my hand, and I know I always will, even though I now use all formats at one time or another. This is my personal preference and as an author ( and I guess this wasn't really the title question for this group posting)I will and am at this moment planning to use every format there is, including the multiple eBook formats. If there's 10, I use 10. If there's 20 I use all 20. Whatever it takes.

message 3: by Courtney (new)

Daniel wrote: "Personally I prefer having a book in my hands.For me as an author, even my first few short story releases, I will be looking at every format I can possibly release a short story or book in. Here's ..."

I'm there with you, when it comes to my releases. My book is in every format except audio right now. That's something I'm contemplating doing though... Because there are so many that are starting to prefer having any book they want at their fingertips, authors must go with the times and release ebooks.

message 4: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Audet (danielaudet) | 5 comments Courtney wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Personally I prefer having a book in my hands.For me as an author, even my first few short story releases, I will be looking at every format I can possibly release a short story or b..."

You're 100% right. Audio-books, as you no doubt will soon discover have a vast audience all their own and I highly recommend it. Though, Courtney it isn't the easiest format and in fact probably the most difficult to translate your book into. The narrator is a key element, since, as you know "reading" isn't the same execution as writing.

message 5: by Courtney (new)

Daniel wrote: "Courtney wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Personally I prefer having a book in my hands.For me as an author, even my first few short story releases, I will be looking at every format I can possibly release a..."

Reading it is very different from writing. That I know. I did release a podcast commercial for my novel though, and have been told by several that I should read my novel for the audiobook instead of getting someone else to do it. I'm still contemplating it...

message 6: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Audet (danielaudet) | 5 comments Courtney wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Courtney wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Personally I prefer having a book in my hands.For me as an author, even my first few short story releases, I will be looking at every format I can pos..."

Yeah, cool. Good luck with it. I've done voice overs and a lot of radio. (more this thurs behind Douglas Preston and Lincoln Childs as a guest)so I'll prob be doing my own too.

message 7: by Tally (new)

Tally Song (Tallygirl) | 1 comments Hmmmm well if it is a book I am going to like I HAVE to OWN it, so print for sure. However, if it's a chick-lit quickie romance than perhaps and E-book.

message 8: by Marchel (last edited Mar 02, 2011 04:44PM) (new)

Marchel | 1 comments I'm always enjoying printed books. I love to read anywhere & anytime, especially when on boring situation like waiting someone. In break time for lunch, it's not only my body needs food. My soul needs food too.

message 9: by Courtney (new)

Marchel wrote: "I'm always enjoying printed books. I love to read anywhere & anytime, especially when on boring situation like waiting someone. In break time for lunch, it's not only my body needs food. My soul ne..."

Feeding words to the soul... I love it!

message 10: by Lynnette (new)

Lynnette Phillips (lynnettephillips) | 2 comments I've never been able to listen to an audiobook and not get distracted...I guess if i'm not actively involved my mind wanders.
Ebooks are great for skimming, looking up specifics but there isn't much enjoyment there--sorry.
For personal pleasure reading it's got to be ink and paper. I have to 'feel' the words and how they're 'put together'.

message 11: by Courtney (new)

Lynnette wrote: "I've never been able to listen to an audiobook and not get distracted...I guess if i'm not actively involved my mind wanders.
Ebooks are great for skimming, looking up specifics but there isn't mu..."

Maybe the issue with audio is that you have found a reader that can catch your attention yet. You should check out Anne Flosnik, Nigel Planer and Simon Vance. All three have been able to keep my attention for hour on end. They really know how to bring the story to life.