Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Magician: Master (The Riftwar Saga, #2)
This topic is about Magician
Riftwar Saga > Magician Master: General Discussion Thread – Finished Reading (**UNMARKED SPOILERS GALORE**)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dawn (breakofdawn) I know with the last discussion, a lot of people expressed an interest in having a spot to discuss the entire book, without marking spoilers. So for Master, this will be the thread for that. Post anything you want, go spoiler crazy, no marking needed. But as always, just make sure to uncheck the “Add to my Update Feed” box so as not to accidentally spoil it for your friends.

message 2: by Dawn (last edited Mar 09, 2011 10:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) Quiet out here! I finished before March even began, I just wanted to give everyone else a chance to read and comment before I jumped in. But I can't wait anymore! My review is here. The gist of it? Loved it :)

Some of my favorite parts are (view spoiler)

Please forgive me if there are spelling or name errors in the above, I don't have my book with me at the moment so I was just sort of winging it from memory! :)

Chris  (haughtc) | 111 comments I liked Master quiet a bit. Apprentice was good, but mostly setup. Lots of standard fantasy issue stuff in that first part, though it was done well enough and the characters were likable.

But Master was where this series really became one of the classics. For much of the reasons you already listed, Dawn.

I love how Feist brought all the threads together to a satisfying conclusion, yet left the characters open to future books.

Oh, and to add to your favorite scenes list, (view spoiler)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I loved that scene too! It totally slipped my mind :)

message 5: by Sandra (last edited Mar 12, 2011 07:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments There were many good scenes. I tended to like the quiet ones best, like (view spoiler). I was a little bored in the beginning of the book until the scene where Pug finally came into his power. That was quite good. Prior to that, it felt like a bit of an info dump to show us more about Kelewan.

I was philosophically disturbed by the ending. (view spoiler)

message 6: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) The end "never" justifies the means or "doesn't always"?

Not counting the Empire trilogy, withhold judgement for the next two books. More is revealed. You may still feel the way you do. Personally, I think Macros was correct, but then I've read them all. I think I felt that way on my first read.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Jim wrote: "The end "never" justifies the means or "doesn't always"?

Not counting the Empire trilogy, withhold judgement for the next two books. More is revealed. You may still feel the way you do. Persona..."

I guess it depends on what the means entails. Perhaps I should've said it never justifies the killing of people.

I'll withhold judgment long enough to finish though. That's just my initial gut reaction.

message 8: by Jon (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments I finished Magician: Master yesterday at lunch. I haven't written a review yet, mostly because I'm so darn far behind in my reading.

I actually didn't like this second half as well as the first half. I'm undecided on whether to give it three stars, or four (like I did the first half). I lost connection with most of the characters and time jumped ahead too much. I'd blink and another five years would have passed.