The Lost Entwife Read-Alongs discussion

Madame Bovary > Week 1 Discussion: Part I - Chapters 1-6

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Presley | 119 comments Mod
Post your comments on Chapters 1-6 here.

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan (megoizzy) | 40 comments i'm still waiting on my copy to arrive via the book depository. it's my first time using that site - thx for the recommendation lydia - so we'll see how quickly it comes!

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan (megoizzy) | 40 comments book arrived today. yay!

message 4: by Lynnette (new)

Lynnette | 8 comments I gave myself an ultimatum last night. If I had the book, I'd join the read along. Surprise! I had the book. Got two chapters done and am quite surprised that it reads easily. I thought it might be more wordy and dark. Looking forward to the discussion.

message 5: by Lydia (new)

Lynnette wrote: "I gave myself an ultimatum last night. If I had the book, I'd join the read along. Surprise! I had the book. Got two chapters done and am quite surprised that it reads easily. I thought it might be..."

Awesome! Glad to have you join us again Auntie.

message 6: by Lynnette (new)

Lynnette | 8 comments I am enjoying this book. The author is a storyteller par excellance! It is like he is telling the story from first person, but not quite.

A favorite line: "The novelty and pleasure of being independent soon made solitude more bearable." Score one for single people!

Another favorite: "And now she could not bring herself to believe that the uneventful life she was leading was the happiness of which she had dreamed."

I liked his description of Emma at the convent. What a commentary on romance novels, eh?

message 7: by Lydia (new)

Lynnette wrote: "I am enjoying this book. The author is a storyteller par excellance! It is like he is telling the story from first person, but not quite.

A favorite line: "The novelty and pleasure of being indep..."

I completely agree. There's one part where he talks about how "convenient" something is (I'll have to look for it again) but it made me laugh out loud.

I'm not sure why the scene at the beginning was there though? I was almost expecting a Jane Eyre type of start, where we experience Bovary's life through his childhood but it jumped really quickly to adulthood and marriage.. and what a marriage that was, solitude does indeed look thrilling after that!

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan (megoizzy) | 40 comments i have only read three chapters so far, but i find it interesting that he has already killed off two "madam bovarys". lol.

message 9: by Lynnette (new)

Lynnette | 8 comments Did I miss one? I only remember one dying.

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan (megoizzy) | 40 comments i might be wrong? doesn't his mother die too?

message 11: by Tina (new)

Tina (iubookgirl) | 24 comments I don't think his mother dies...at least not yet. I remember her being upset that no one consulted her for the second marriage to Emma Rouault.

message 12: by Tina (new)

Tina (iubookgirl) | 24 comments I'm finding all the descriptive passages a bit tedious, but I'm determined to forge on.

I posted my thoughts on week one here.

message 13: by Megan (new)

Megan (megoizzy) | 40 comments i have to agree with you iubookgirl. it's all very french, the way he continues to describe the lace on the dress and fruit bowls and the freaking way the butter is melting! lol.