Quirky humour discussion

Writing Humour

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simon (new)

Simon Dunn (sighdone) | 9 comments Hi,

Just wanted to say hi. I'm a comedy writer, and would love to hear some recommendations for silly books.

The bookshelf has already thrown up some gems.

Thanks
Simon

message 2: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) | 7 comments Well, if you don't mind a little immodesty, I'd like to recommend my own book, Polly! by Stephen Goldin . I think it's reasonably funny, and a couple of reviewers even agree with me: Bill Furlow at Great Books Under $5 and Flying With Red Haircrow. I'm kinda proud of those reviews.

message 3: by Simon (new)

Simon Dunn (sighdone) | 9 comments Thanks Stephen, I'll check it out.

message 4: by Colin (new)

Colin Mckenna | 4 comments Simon, I just read a couple of books by Christopher Buckley and he is incredibly funny. I could not stop laughing at "Little Green Men". It wasn't at all what I expected in terms of how he would approach the subject. If you check it out you'll see what I mean.

message 5: by Simon (new)

Simon Dunn (sighdone) | 9 comments I saw him on a shelf the other day, so I'll add him, thanks Colin.

message 6: by Norm (new)

Norm (normcowie) | 10 comments Dave Barry's, the syndicated humor columnist, wrote some hilarious novels (Big Trouble). I didn't think his Peter Pan books were as funny, though he had a co-writer.

And, at the risk of seeming immodest, reviewers have said my stuff is pretty good.

Norm
www.normcowie.com

message 7: by Man (new)

Man Martin | 2 comments After a plug for my own books - DAYS OF THE ENDLESS CORVETTE and PARADISE DOGS (out this summer - register now for a free copy) I have to recommend LUCKY JIM by Amis, CODE OF THE WOOSTERS by Wodehouse, and a HANDFUL OF DUST by Waugh.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Simon,

Check out my book.
Learn Just Enough . . . to Get Laid by Tyler DeAngelo

It's for the guy who is interested in commanding a host of abilities without necessarily having to put in the time to become an expert.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm sending my book to whoever would like to read it free of charge. You don't even have to pay for shipping. I'm using bookcrossing.com. The only stipulation is that you give it to someone else when you are done. Please let me know if your interested by sending me a message. Here is the books link and you can click on the author link to find meLearn Just Enough . . . to Get Laid

message 10: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Sturtz | 1 comments In honor of April Fools I am reading Jill Kargman's "SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE A NUT" I just saw that new york journalofbooks.com is running a giveaway on line. Kargman is most certifiedly nutty!

http://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/givea...

message 11: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Gould | 12 comments Hello to all,

I'm a Melbourne based writer especially interested in humorous reading and writing. I especially love the sort of clever humor of Douglas Adams, and writers who can mix humor and fantasy like Neil Gaiman and Diana Wynne Jones.

Happy to be in touch with anyone who has similar interest.

message 12: by Mark (new)

Mark Rayner (markarayner) | 12 comments I write humorous/satirical fiction too. I'd recommend the work of Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, Chuck Palahniuk, Tom Robbins, and if you like theatre, Tom Stoppard. (Start with Rozencranzt and Guildenstern are Dead -- also made into a movie.)

And if you want slapstick, give Tom Sharpe a try.

message 13: by Simon (new)

Simon Dunn (sighdone) | 9 comments I often blog about writing comedy on my site:

http://www.simondunn.me.uk/?cat=16

message 14: by Nigel (new)

Nigel S. | 3 comments NEIGHBORS (by Berger), CATCH-22, and A CONFEDERACY OF DUNCES are all great, classic, and off the wall.

message 15: by Norm (new)

Norm (normcowie) | 10 comments Sorry, blatant self-promotion here (if you don't like that kind of thing, sorry):

(never mind, deleted this. Heh, now you'll never know)

Norm

http://www.normcowie.com

message 16: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Thorson (jennthorson) | 5 comments I didnt realize "Rozencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead" was from a book. The movie was charming-- I'm going to be looking for that one!

message 17: by John (new)

John Martin (httpgoodreadscomjohn_martin) | 3 comments As a reader with a funnybone, I like stuff by CArl Hiaasen, Roddy Doyle (careful there, not all of his are funny) and Colin Bateman. Joseph Heller is still probably my No. 1 with Catch 22. John Steinbeck hit the mark with Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday.

As a writer, I've written a few now - but only for Australian consumption with print-on-ink books Downunder.

I've just spread my wings though with an ebook on Amazon:

Major B S A Top-Secret Mission by John Martin

It's quirky. Satire.

message 18: by FAXBoy (new)

FAXBoy | 2 comments Hello, Quirky Humourists!

We're looking for submissions for a new international anthology, called "Now Firing!":

http://nowfiring.blogspot.com/

and would love to hear from members of this group.

Yours in Disemployment,
FAXBoy

message 19: by John (new)

John Rhodes (John_D_Rhodes) | 12 comments I like to wrtite with humour or with situations that have humour - I think it's a mistake to try and write 'funny' it an seem forced.

I have been here before but I have been hibernating - lots of updates on my web blog:

http://johndrhodesauthor.wordpress.com/

message 20: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Chamberlain | 3 comments That's right. There are a lot of different kinds of humour. The best, in my opinion, comes with a mix of surrealism and sentences weighted just right. Situations can also be funny. My favs are Spike Milligan (Puckoon expecially), Flann O'Brien, Douglas Adams, Joseph Heller (God Knows is also very funny - and Good as Gold was funny once I realised that the whole point was to heap vitriol on Kissinger in a way that couldn't be sued!). Another little comic gem is Mr Pye by Mervyn Peake. The Wilt books are also robustly absurd and funny.

I have myself written a comic novel set against the backdrop of the London 2012 Olympics called Dreams of Gold - some top Amazon UK reviewers rated it 4 and 5 stars. I will be doing an author chat here in a week's time so you've just got enough time to get it and read it before we start! It was written first as a film script so there's a lot of visual humour in it - need I say more?

message 21: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Chamberlain | 3 comments Also check out my blog www.2ndhandbooklover.wordpress.com - my latest post is (I hope you will agree) quite amusing