Fashion Book Lovers! discussion

Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revolution
This topic is about Queen of Fashion
Past Fashion Book Group Reads > Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revolution by Caroline Weber

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jamie  (jaymers8413) | 524 comments Mod
This is for the discussion of the March/April fashion book winner Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revolution by Caroline Weber.

Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revolution

message 2: by Jamie (last edited Mar 01, 2011 12:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

My earlier posts from the nomination folder:

To go along with this book I am going to read Marie Antoinette: The Journey by Antonia Fraser. I know this is a history book but it may help fill in some gaps. If you are into history and want to read this we can discuss it along with the group read. I know the group read will be a lot of history and not so much fashion as past reads so it may not be needed.

I have started Marie Antoinette: The Journey and am enjoying it. At times I get confused at who is who but overall I have been able to quickly read through with no problem. I think it was a good idea to read The Journey first because it starts from Antoinette's childhood. I am not sure of the time span for the Revolution book.

message 3: by ModCloth (new)

ModCloth | 7 comments This sounds great. I'll have to add it to my list! I recently found this article that may be a good pair to this book. http://www.slate.com/id/2151858/

Angela @ ModCloth

Thank you for the link Angela!

Beth Rear (bethann2) | 7 comments I finally got started on this and am LOVING it!! Absolutely fascinating and a great book for fashion lovers.

That's great! I am hoping to start next week!

Beth Rear (bethann2) | 7 comments Just finished this - it was wonderful!! Five Stars! A great book for fashion lovers. I loved all the intricate detail of the gowns, etc. Wonderful!

I'm so glad you liked it! I'm sorry I haven't even started yet! I will post soon if you wanted to discuss more later.

I finally finished Marie Antoinette: The Journey so now I will be able to start on this!

Monique (thebeautygirl) i recently finished Marie Antoinette: The Journey book as well (had to listen to it in audio, actually, but it was really good-- learned so much!). am still waiting for my library to get Weber's book-- they have to transfer it from another library. hopefully soon! excited to read it! :)

Jamie wrote: "My earlier posts from the nomination folder:

To go along with this book I am going to read Marie Antoinette: The Journey by Antonia Fraser. I know this is a history book but it may help fill in ..."

The Journey was good and I am glad I read it! Weber references Fraser a lot and I understand more details than what Weber gives because her focus is the relationship to Marie Antoinette's clothes to the world around her. She doesn't go as in depth with the history (although there are a lot of facts).

The book does have a ton of notes with references. I have only read the intro but I plan reading more today!

message 12: by Jamie (last edited Mar 21, 2011 12:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

There is so much great information in this book that Fraser was not able to cover. The pieces fit in nicely together and give a broader understanding of Marie Antoinette's life and how her clothes were influenced by the world around her and how she influenced the political and social world. This book makes me want to read a book about the Sun King Louis XIV next!

Monique (thebeautygirl) just informed the book is now available for me from my library-- yay! will pick it up tomorrow-- can't wait to (finally) get started. :)

Monique (thebeautygirl) LOVING this book! i am enjoying all the fashion weaved in with the history. i already know MA's story because of 'The Journey', but the details about the designers of the day and what the then-current fashion trends were is amazing. :)

Yes, this book covers much more than I thought it would, seeing as only a few items survived. I just wish there were more pictures to help visually. I can never get enough! Overall I love the book and would recommend it to anyone. Even if you are not into history there are so many interesting facts it would make this book worth reading! Five stars!