Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's January Reads 2/3

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1371 comments 6)Norse Code by Greg Van Eekhout (post-apocalyptic fantasy) 292 pages Source: Paperback Swap Started: 1/15 Finished: 1/16

Why Read: I'm interested in Norse background fantasy and I needed a post-apocalyptic category book for the Urban Fantasy group challenge.

Comments: I liked Hermod and his efforts to preserve our earth during the apocalypse. But I figured out how it would end beforehand and I didn't like that resolution. I also didn't like the way the Valkyrie MC was conceptualized, the marginalization of the God Odin in the battle for which he had been preparing throughout time and the way Odin's wife was portrayed. Rating C

7)Solomon's Oakby Jo-Ann Mapson (contemporary fiction with paranormal content)371 pages. Started: 1/16 Finished: 1/17

Why Read: This seemed to be about a woman who runs a chapel for un-conventional weddings. I was interested in the unconventional weddings and her motivations for this activity.

Comments: This was about a great deal more than the wedding chapel. It's about the characters and their relationships, and the characterization was wonderful. I want a movie based on this book. I think that Jodie Foster should play the MC and Jimmy Smits should play Joseph. I don't know who should play Juniper, the MC's damaged foster daughter. I really identified with her emotional struggles. Rating B+

8)Tomato Redby Daniel Woodrell (mystery) 169 pages. Source: Independent Bookstore Started: 1/17 Finished: 1/18

Why Read: This was a February selection for the F2F mystery group that I attend, and it sounded unusual enough for me to read.

Comments: Not so unusual. I realized that I knew real people like the MCs. They were very familiar to me. You see, they were teenagers. Well, Sammy was a little older, but not much. They thought like teenagers and made the sort of mistakes that teenagers make. It wasn't about being in the Ozarks. There are teens in New York or California who think and behave exactly the same way. Some teens feel a sense of desperation. They must leave whatever place they grew up in and start a new life somewhere else which they are certain will be better. I remember feeling this way myself. I stopped thinking of the MCs' behavior as a series of mistakes when they became victims of injustice. There are some injustices that you can't just accept. So I started thinking of Sammy in particular as a hero, not a loser. Rating B+

9)Shakespeare Undeadby Lori Handeland (historical paranormal romance)291 pages. Source: Barnes & Noble Started: 1/19 Finished: 1/19

Why Read: I like Lori Handeland and the idea that Shakespeare was a vampire is irresistible to me. This is also an Urban Fantasy group challenge selection. It's the zombie book. The love interest, Katie, is a zombie hunter.

Comments: I liked the concept of the vampire Shakespeare and the way he wrote his plays. It was a fun read despite the zombies. I liked the ending. Queen Elizabeth was marvelous. Rating B

10)The Last Summer Of The Death Warriorsby Francisco X. Stork (YA contemporary fiction) 344 pages. Source: Library Started: 1/20 Finished: 1/22

Why Read: This is a contemporary version of Don Quixote with DQ as a teen with cancer. I thought that was a wow concept! I'm a fan of the musical version of Don Quixote, Man of La Mancha, and I loved this author's previous book, Marcelo In The Real World.

Comments: Very nice. There were some parallels with Don Quixote, but also some aspects that diverged. Pancho wasn't just DQ's companion, he was the POV character with dimension and inner conflicts. The story isn't tied up with a nice ribbon, but the major conflicts are resolved. There's good characterization and I like the way the themes were dealt with. I wasn't as impressed with it as Marcelo in the Real World, but I thought it was very good. I thought that Marisol, the Dulcinea character, was a weak aspect of the novel. She wasn't really parallel to Dulcinea and the way she was utilized in the plot was sentimental rather than powerful. It seemed to me that she represented a missed opportunity. Rating B+

To Be Continued...

message 2: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments i read Solomon's Oak last month and loved it. mapson is a wonderful story teller. i agree, it would be a perfect (lifetime!) tv movie.