Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

Individual Book Discussions > Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 4295 comments Mod
March the Second is Dr. Seuss's 105th birthday! He is quite possibly the most amazing children's writer of all time. Each and everyone of us has surely read a few books by him.
Here we can share our old favorites :)

(oh, and be sure to check out the new mod titles!)

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments HAPPY BIRTHDAY THEODORE SEUSS GEISEL!! My childhood would not have been the same without Dr. Seuss. My dad's favorite book in the world is Green Eggs and Ham, and I grew up listening to the wise words of the Cat in the Hat, "It's fun to have fun but you have to know how." Not to mention loving all his other stories too.

This year for math class, my teacher recommended getting a mutli-colored pen. On Amazon, I found a ten-colored pen....and twelve six-colored Dr. Seuss pens for about the same amount of money. Guess which one I went with? I am now the proud owner of three each of Green Eggs and Ham, The Cat in the Hat, Thing 1 and Thing 2, and Horton Hears a Who pens. I am the envy of the class.

Wow that was long.

I like the new titles by the way.

message 3: by Jordan (last edited Mar 03, 2011 07:48PM) (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2426 comments It's still the first over here, but Happy Birthday! :D

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish was the first book I ever read on my own, so I guess my love of reading started with that. My sister is learning to read, and it makes me happy to hear her sounding out the words in all the books I used to read. :)

Fun fact: Did you guys know that his publisher bet him $50 that he (Seuss) couldn't write a book with only fifty different words? And Green Eggs and Ham was born.

Kate, those pens sound awesome! :)

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments @ Jordan, thanks! I knew about the bet, but I didn't know that it was his publisher. He thought it was impossible because the Cat in the Hat, which was so simple, was over 200 words. Can you imagine what the world would be like without that bet?

♫♫☺Allie☺♫♫ (alliwicious) | 1115 comments Happy (early) Birthday Dr. Suess! My favorite books of Dr. Suess is The Foot Book because that was the first book I read on my own without assistence, Horton Hears a Who, oh and that one where this dude has a lot of red hats. I can't remember the name.

message 6: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments My first Dr. Suess books were Go, Dog, Go! and The A,B,C Book, so I guess those are my favorites. And There's a Wocket in my Pocket.

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments @ Allie-it's the 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins. Yes I know it might be sad that I know that.

It's hard to think of a bad Dr. Seuss book, and so many of them surpass good and reach excellence. There's the famous ones like the Cat in the Hat and Green Eggs and Ham, but there's also the ones like Daisy-Head Maizie, the Butter Battle Book, the 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins, and Yertle the Turtle, which are all so good. In case none of you can tell, I LOVE Dr. Seuss.

message 8: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Ah, good 'ole Doctor Seuess. I grew up with this guy. :) In my family we would read the books, but the cartoons are definitely (STILL) a favorite. We can sing along and practically recite the entire thing right along with it. :)

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments I can recite the entire thing....when it comes to the books. Not so much the cartoons. We aren't really a TV family.

message 10: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments It's all my mom's side. When Me, my siblings, and my cousins went to my grandma's side, we almost always ended up watching Doctor Seuss cartoons.

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments That's pretty cool. Sounds like fun!

message 12: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments It's great.

♫♫☺Allie☺♫♫ (alliwicious) | 1115 comments Every Christmas I watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

message 14: by ★ Jess (last edited Mar 01, 2011 09:31PM) (new)

Im going to pretend that I didnt see the above comments, and restrain myself from deleting it :)

I LOVEEEEEE Dr. Seuss.
I think my all time favorite is How the Grinch Stole Christmas!, Hop on Pop and The Cat in the Hat
I love them all soooo much :)

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather | 948 comments Happy Birthday Theodore Seuss Guiser!!!!!!!

Are you my Mother???? Was and still is my Favorite Book!!!!!

message 16: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Are You My Mother is an amazing book, but it was written by P.D. Eastman.

Are you sure you want to restrain from deleting it Jess?

♫♫☺Allie☺♫♫ (alliwicious) | 1115 comments Me too!

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Everyone should. It's such a great book.

message 19: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments I love Are You my Mother and Hop On Pop... I forgot about it.

Please delete it! (:

message 20: by Kate (last edited Mar 02, 2011 06:08PM) (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Somehow I don't think you mean so that we can discuss his badness.

I might have to quit this group if said Justin Bieber topic were created. ;)

message 21: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Yeah...I'm getting that vibe too, Kate...

message 22: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments So it's not just me reading too far in? Good.

I wonder how we figured it out...

message 23: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments I have no idea. I guess i just have intuition or something....

message 24: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments No, I might have to quit, too.

message 25: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments *tries not to gag*

You should try not offending Dr. Suess on his birthday by talking about it on his discussion board.

message 26: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments :D Nice one, Natalie.

message 27: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Natalie wrote: "*tries not to gag*

You should try not offending Dr. Suess on his birthday by talking about it on his discussion board."

100 percent agreement found here

Haley, I might recommend going to the nearest psychiatrist.

message 28: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments Because he is not awesome. And Dr. Suess.

message 29: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments No, I think not >:)

message 30: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Let's not discuss this right now. Obviously Haley has been infected by Bieber Fever and there is currently no known cure for it....

message 31: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Haley wrote: "Sorry because it was also JB's birthday and there was nothing for him :'( *sniff sniff*"

By the way, Dr. Seuss's was today while the other person's was yesterday.

Well phrased Natalie.

message 32: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments Thank you, Kate.

I am determined to either 1) get everybidy who is infected glasses so they can see what they like or, 2) just kind a cure.

Who's with me?!

message 33: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Me! -thrusts hand in air like Hermione answering a question-

message 34: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Not a bad idea, Natalie.

Although I think Rae might be right that it's such a hopeless cause we might as well not waste our time trying.

message 35: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments Yes! Two members, let's take 'em! *loads gun*

message 36: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Rae*Gnomey* wrote: "Me! -thrusts hand in air like Hermione answering a question-"

love the analogy. I have a perfect image of what you mean, too.

message 37: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Wait...I don't think we need to be THAT extreme....

message 38: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments Okay, okay. I'm off to the labs to find a cure, though. :)

message 39: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments *small voice* I was only kidding...

message 40: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Yeah. If we use guns at all they'll be squirt guns. :)

message 41: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments I think the lab is the better solution there. I'd be glad to join you!

message 42: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Water guns don't sound like too bad of an idea though, come to think of it. I like water guns.

message 43: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments I'd love to talk about ways to cure the Beiber Fever, but I must read. I'm going to through a little Suess in there too. :)

message 44: by ★ Jess (new)

SHAAAAAAMMEEEEEE!!!!!
talking about Justin Beiber and going off topic on Dr. Seuss's 205th birthday.
Dr. Seuss is amazing :)

message 45: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Yes, yes, he is. What Dr. Seuss did you end up reading Natalie?

message 46: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments Every Dr. Suess book I own :) : The Cat In The Hat, The Cat In The Hat Comes Back, Dr. Suess's ABC, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish, Hop On Pop, Green Eggs And Ham, Oh The Thinks You Can Think, There's A Wocket In My Pocket, Mr. Brown Can Moo Can You, Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now! That's it! :)

message 47: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Nice!

I might have to go read some Dr. Seuss soon.

message 48: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Maybe you should remedy that?

message 49: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments le gasp! Haley! lolz

message 50: by ★ Jess (new)

Yeah but I'm 15....I've got Seuss books on my bookshelf, and it's been like, a week since I read The Grinch.

« previous 1