Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1)
This topic is about The Iron King
The Iron King Discussions > Initial Thoughts (no spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (last edited Mar 02, 2011 09:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Did the beginning hook you? Everyday high school girl, pesty little brother, nerdy friend who she can't quite figure out? (Try to remember how you felt when you were reading it --before you knew all the great stuff that follows the opening chapter in the every day world).

No spoilers please!

Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Thanks, Angie, for posting my #1 discussion question as the volunteer moderator for The Iron King, our March book. I put it on the other thread, and replied to a few of our readers there, so I hope they'll post here now that we're officially ON.

message 3: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

And thanks to you for checking in while on vacation! Have fun!

Sleepy Booknerd The opening did hook me because I remember it seemed more lively and quick paced :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I love this book so far! Titania's really horrible I think we can all agree

Olivia (littledhampir25) | 7 comments haha i know right! I LOVE TITANIA though. She's just funny in an evil way haha

Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Don't give us the details of what happens later, but how do you think Meaghan changed because of her experiences during The Iron King, from her sweet sixteen self once she'd met Queen Titania and King Oberon, or if later, when and how?

Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Olivia: What makes her funny (and evil)? Is she like other 'bad guys' in other books you've read?

message 9: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

I do like this book.. remember this thread does not have spoilers! I like how the first chapter started off with a creepy creature lurking around.

Jessica (jessika_reads) | 3 comments Angie wrote: "Did the beginning hook you? Everyday high school girl, pesty little brother, nerdy friend who she can't quite figure out? (Try to remember how you felt when you were reading it --before you knew al..."

I thought that Ethan was sweet and seemed to really show concern for her. I also really like Robbie as a sort of extended brother. The first chapter didn't really "hook" me, but I was definitely wanting to find out more from the characters introduced.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

my favorite characters are...
Grimalkin
Meghan
Ash
Puck/Robbie
Tansy
and Ethan

Olivia (littledhampir25) | 7 comments Sarah wrote: "Olivia: What makes her funny (and evil)? Is she like other 'bad guys' in other books you've read?"

Well she's just over the top and some of the things she says makes it funny. She's completly original in the books i have read.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Olivia wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Olivia: What makes her funny (and evil)? Is she like other 'bad guys' in other books you've read?"

Well she's just over the top and some of the things she says makes it funny. She'..."
yeah she has fire and I wonder if she'll ever like meghan

Alicia I'm on chapter six. It seems like a fun read so far, but I don't know if I'd say that the beginning really "hooked" me. In the first few chapters I found the dialogue a bit stiff and all of the high school stuff (unpopular girl who hates the shallow cheerleaders and crushes on an unintelligent jock) was kind of stale and cliche for me. It's improving a lot for me now that Meghan is in NeverNever and the focus is more on the fantasy elements of the story. I do like both Meghan and Robbie. Meghan's family treats her like crap, so it's nice she has Robbie around as a friend, even if he is obviously going to shake up their friendship by nice guy crushing on her later on.

Natasha | 2 comments I am about half way through now, I am enjoying it. The first couple of chapters really put me off, I don't know why either. It just seemed too boring? Too normal? I love Grimalkin, even if he is a cat that can't be trusted. I'd love to know what he is really after! Just getting introduced to Ash properly now, and I don't like him. He seems really distant and uninterested in Meagan. Where Puck actually seems like he is generally worried about her. Love the back story and the faery land, one thing I am worried about is that although I would want my brother back, I don't think I would be as obsessed by it, fair enough I would look, but giving in to all the demands of everyone just to get him back? He's not even her full brother!

message 16: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

I am also half-way through and love it! I really like how the world is described. It has really taken my imagination on a ride!

message 17: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Stumpf (astumpf) | 24 comments The beginning did hook me in with the little things like her step-dad not paying any attention to her to the way her little brother so strongly believes in what he tells Meggie. You just know that there is something going on, e.g. Robbie at the bus stop. Once I started reading it I didn't want to put it down and just finished reading it last night. I have downloaded the free novella that takes place between The Iron King and The Iron Daughter which I plan on starting as soon as I can get my hands on it!

message 18: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah (leahboo) I JUST FINISHHED omggggg Iron King was such a good read! So at the beginning I was hooked and I liked how the pace was very quick, It was getting to the point in every chapter. I actually thought Princess(I mean Megan LOL) was cool. The thought of Ethan warms my heart I love him and his bunny he carries. I was a little sad at the end tho.

Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Alicia wrote: "I'm on chapter six. It seems like a fun read so far, but I don't know if I'd say that the beginning really "hooked" me. In the first few chapters I found the dialogue a bit stiff and all of the h..."

I'm with you on the beginning, a lot of cliches and no real reason for her mother to be so hard on Meaghan. The author might not have been sure where she was going, or she might have been trying to make you feel sympathy for Meaghan. Can you recommend other heroines who are more unusual right from the start?

Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Natasha wrote: "I am about half way through now, I am enjoying it. The first couple of chapters really put me off, I don't know why either. It just seemed too boring? Too normal? I love Grimalkin, even if he is a ..."

ALso Ethan was not that loving to Meaghan either in the beginning. Or maybe it was that she thought he was whiney(sp?)? But when he reappears he's so loving, it surprised me. Any one else surprised by Ethan?

Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Amy wrote: "The beginning did hook me in with the little things like her step-dad not paying any attention to her to the way her little brother so strongly believes in what he tells Meggie. You just know that ..."

Did the free novella entice you to buy the first book in the series? (Just curious about the marketing end of this).

Sleepy Booknerd I reccomend Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause , Runemarks by Joanne Harris , A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1) by Libba Bray if you want some pretty unusual heroines.

message 23: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah wrote: "Natasha wrote: "I am about half way through now, I am enjoying it. The first couple of chapters really put me off, I don't know why either. It just seemed too boring? Too normal? I love Grimalkin, ..."

Spoilers: What surprised me about Ethan is that he was such an unimportant character in the book at the beginning. We really only meet him real quick and then all of a sudden we are on our way to rescue this character we barely know about. So one thing I can say is that I didn't really care whether or not he was rescued. Though I did care about the other characters in the book.

message 24: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Armstrong (missamyalice) | 17 comments Angie wrote: "Did the beginning hook you? Everyday high school girl, pesty little brother, nerdy friend who she can't quite figure out? (Try to remember how you felt when you were reading it --before you knew al..."
The beginning didn't hook me, but not that I've gotten past it, I'm glad I stuck with the book. Now, it's hard to put down!

message 25: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Stumpf (astumpf) | 24 comments Sarah,
(Spoilers)I had my mind made up to buy the entire series before I read the novella. The novella really made me want to get to the second book that much faster. You would have to have read the first book to understand the novella. It takes place just after Ash comes to get Meghan for the journey to the Winter Court.

message 26: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 07, 2011 01:54PM) (new)

The book totally hooked me.
I devoured the first 200 pages in one sitting!
It has made me laugh countless times, and it's just so wonderfully written. The world of Fae is so well done, and the storyline just keeps getting better.
I like Meghan, Puck and Ash a lot, but I like Grimalkin as well. He's awesome.
Anyway, so far, I'm loving it! :P

message 27: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mika wrote: "The book totally hooked me.
I devoured the first 200 pages in one sitting!
It has made me laugh countless times, and it's just so wonderfully written. The world of Fae is so well done, and the sto..."

I admit, it hooked me too. I can't wait to read the next books ASAP!

Shanella I'm on to the next book, I couldn't put it down. I there a general reading guide so we know up to which point in the book we can talk about?

message 29: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shanella wrote: "I'm on to the next book, I couldn't put it down. I there a general reading guide so we know up to which point in the book we can talk about?"

You can talk about the next two books in the Sequels thread!

Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes) (imjustcupcake) | 18 comments I just started this book, and I really didn't want to put it down... Sadly I had to. Now Im trying to read a different book quickly so I can get back to this one. It is an easy read, very much in the stereotypical teenage paranormal genre, but I still love it so far!

message 31: by Sun (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sun (the one that glows in the dark, of course) (sun39) | 5 comments When I first read it, I wasn't really impressed. The beginning was quite a lot like other books. But I read on and was instantly hooked. It's really god. Yeah.

Amanda (snugshelf) I was kinda hooked just looking at the cover. :) But yes, the first chapter or so looked pretty intriguing, I'm definitely gonna push it up on my to-be-read pile.

Amanda Hoffmann (amandavonhofmann) I just started yesterday. I like Meghan's voice so far.

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Natasha wrote: "Love the back story and the faery land, one thing I am worried about is that although I would want my brother back, I don't think I would be as obsessed by it, fair enough I would look, but giving in to all the demands of everyone just to get him back? He's not even her full brother!"

(Spoiler) I think you missed the point that NOT getting her brother back would mean her family would be stuck with the changeling who was destroying their home and trying to kill her mother.

Meghan's 'obsession' with this quest is what makes her admirable.

Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Angie wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Natasha wrote: "I am about half way through now, I am enjoying it. The first couple of chapters really put me off, I don't know why either. It just seemed too boring? Too normal? I lo..."

Meaghan's commitment to Ethan later does come as a surprise, a cliched sister's concern when it needed more at the beginning. I agree, a flaw in the storytelling.

Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Sun wrote: "When I first read it, I wasn't really impressed. The beginning was quite a lot like other books. But I read on and was instantly hooked. It's really god. Yeah."

From the beginning typical everyday teen/family stuff the fantasy world and the chase added a lot more to the story. Since I don't read fantasy I do find it interesting that other readers of the genre here say it is similar to other fantasy/faery books.

Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Grace wrote: "Natasha wrote: "Love the back story and the faery land, one thing I am worried about is that although I would want my brother back, I don't think I would be as obsessed by it, fair enough I would l..."

This is true, but maybe if Meaghan had recalled the changeling a few times in the midst of her flight from Titania, it would have helped reader find her commitment to finding her brother more credible. What do you think?

Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Lacy wrote: "I reccomend Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause, Runemarks by Joanne Harris, A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1) by Libba Bray if you want some pretty unusual heroines."

Thanks. The group does seem to be asking for more unusual heroines. As a reader you want to feel empathy for the main character but if you can predict every action, it's boring. Same thing with movie dialogue, I think. When they optioned my first screenplay, one of the nicest things they said about it was my dialogue was so fresh. What I wouldn't give to write brilliant dialogue like West Wing.

Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Amanda wrote: "I just started yesterday. I like Meghan's voice so far."

Amanda: Did you like it because you identified with her? Or because you felt she was an admirable person? Or some other reason?

message 40: by Sleepy (last edited Mar 14, 2011 04:44PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sleepy Booknerd Possible spoilers: I agree with what everyone is saying about Ethan and how Meghan handles it. The way she acted about the whole thind did seem cliched. I think it would have been more realistic if she'd been more nervous/afraid of the whole situation. If someone I'd cared about had been taken by anyone (supernatural or otherwise) I would've probably flipped out.

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Sarah wrote: "...if Meaghan had recalled the changeling a few times in the midst of her flight from Titania, it would have helped reader find her commitment to finding her brother more credible. What do you think? "

That's possible - it could just as easily have annoyed everyone. I guess it would depend on how it's done.

Personally, I don't see how she could have NOT continued her search. She had a connection to her brother - that was well established in my mind. Even if she didn't have a connection, how could she turn back on someone her mother loved and with whom she had shared four years of her life. The existence of the changeling made it imperative that she begin the search immediately - that's true. On the other hand the filial relationship, on its own, should be enough to make her relentless in continuing the search.

message 42: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

I just noticed that our dicussion leader Sarah's book is on goodreads giveaway list! If anyone is interested to enter, check it out:

http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sho...

message 43: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Waters (baggins) | 18 comments I'm just over half way through and I'm really enjoying it. I agree with an earlier comment, that at the beginning some of the dialogue felt a little stiff, so I wasn't hooked immediately, but I am now.

Just a side thing, but has anyone else noticed that words like "I'm" and "you're" don't seem to be used? Always more formal "I am", "you are", etc. I don't know why that pulls me up, I guess it takes me back to essay writing! I'm not noticing it as much though, now that I'm seriously into it and just wanting to know what happens!

So far I'm liking Meghan and Grim, (and Ethan, he's seriously cute - and I felt Meghan had a real connection with him from the get go, so I'm not surprised in the least she's doing everything to find him!). Jury's still out about Puck and Ash, that's for sure! I can't wait to finish this one and get started on the next book! :-)

message 44: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

I didn't notice the I am and you are! Good catch!!!!

message 45: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annabell123) | 45 comments I would say I was hooked by the end of chapter 2. I just love the characters in this story. And even though Ethan is sort of the pesky little brother to Meghan, I love their relationship. He looks up to her and I guess I really think he just believes in her. I am not sure if she sees him as much of a pesky little brother though, because she talks to him the way an adult would talk to a child and she treats him as though what he tells her is the truth...or could be. I like the way Robbie is like a brother to her. He really takes care of her, even when he's goofing around. I really kind of liked the cliche high school teenager life stuff in this book. I think it shows what kind of a character she has developed as the story goes on while having to deal with bullies and just regular high school stuff.

Abigale Did any of u guys read the book in between the main books, like book 1.5 if u did r they good

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Aby wrote: "Did any of u guys read the book in between the main books, like book 1.5 if u did r they good"
I absolutely HATE it when authors do this - write a book between main books. What is the point?

message 48: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ughhh I hate the books in between.. they are so boring! I tried two of the in this series. at least they are free right?