The Sword and Laser discussion

The Kingkiller Chronicles > The Wise Man's Fear (spoilers inside)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 150) (150 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Trent (new)

Trent (Ezelek) | 18 comments Dropped in by the bookstore on the way home, and spotted this on the shelf

Anyone else picked up their copy yet? Tasmania, Australia here, so I figure if we've got it, everyone does.

message 2: by Salamangkero (new)

Salamangkero | 16 comments waiting for the audio book on audible at 12am, hopefully.

message 3: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Guzman (Zeotrope) | 12 comments Mine should be delivered today, can't wait!

message 4: by Salamangkero (new)

Salamangkero | 16 comments danggit, no audio book on audible yet. got it on my kindle instead. DAMN YOU BRILLIANCE AUDIO!! /shakes fist

message 5: by Curt (new)

Curt Taylor (meegeek) | 107 comments Damn, $14.99 for the Kindle edition!!

I liked the first book, but not that much. Will have to wait until this comes down a bit I guess.

message 6: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3449 comments I'm going to try to finish Shadow and Claw prior to picking this up. Hoping to finish by the 10th, which is when my Audible credits roll over and then I'll pick it up that way...

Unless it's not available, in which case I'll Kindle it. Might do both, anyway, to allow maximum reading.

message 7: by Trent (new)

Trent (Ezelek) | 18 comments Curt wrote: "Damn, $14.99 for the Kindle edition!!

I liked the first book, but not that much. Will have to wait until this comes down a bit I guess."

I really like Kindle pricing since the AUS dollar is now pretty much in parity with the US dollar, and buying books here is expensive (Wise Man's Fear set me back $35 dollars, but I do like this cover art better.)

message 8: by Rob (new)

Rob Unger | 16 comments Anyone know when it will be available on audible? Or itunes audio?
Thanks

message 9: by Jlawrence, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Jlawrence | 905 comments Mod
Got it in the mail yesterday, all ready for Thursday's signing. I won't be reading it until I finish re-reading Book of the New Sun, though.

message 10: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Hansen (geekles) | 5 comments 34% of the way through the kindle edition. I love it, but I knew I would. I love his prose. Enjoying the story as well.

message 11: by Been (last edited Mar 08, 2011 03:31PM) (new)

Been | 125 comments Got it a few minutes after midnight on the Kindle. Up to Chapter 59 (40% of the way through) so far. Loving it so far even though I'm finding myself without free time as I cram a few minutes reading in every chance I get.

And chapter 30? (view spoiler)

message 12: by Rob (new)

Rob Unger | 16 comments Now out on Audible, taking forever to download.

message 13: by Jared (new)

Jared (jared_king) | 51 comments Been SAY NOTHING MORE! hehe im finishing Sword & Citadel first, then smashing this!!

How good was the interview with Pat? Great job Tom and Veronica, and thankyou so much!

message 14: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5063 comments It's in a weird small section at the front of b&n. I could barely find it.

message 15: by Franz (new)

Franz (freelunch) | 5 comments I finished it earlier today and I loved it. Some may argue that it has a slow pace but that's what I liked about it. I felt like I was able to savor every moment of Kvothe's story. Even when there were some significant jumps in time, I was slightly disappointed. I don't think I would feel the same way if the world and story weren't so excellently crafted.

While I hope the wait for the third book is shorter than the wait for the second was, I'm willing to wait because I know Rothfuss will take any time needed to finish an awesome story.

message 16: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (theliterarygeek) | 96 comments I just finished Wise Man's Fear. I was about half finished when I went to the Rothfuss Event here in SF. He was really great and down to earth. Funny, too. Seriously funny.

I am not sure how to feel about. The pacing for this novel is a little slower. But perhaps I just wanted to draw it out since i know the the next installment will be a while.

Its been three or four days, when dust settles I would love to chat about how everyone feels about the ending?

message 17: by Tina (new)

Tina (javabird) | 497 comments I guess I have to move The Name of the Wind up on my to-do list :)

message 18: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3449 comments For those that were looking for it in audio, it's now on the American version of audible.com. I know I'll be getting it on the 10th when my credits re-up.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished it as well, just letting it settle a bit. Wouldn't mind discussing it if folks want

message 20: by Christopher (last edited Mar 05, 2011 12:29PM) (new)

Christopher (theliterarygeek) | 96 comments I think it just my perspective, but I really noticed the Waystone Inn cuts in this book more. They felt a little intrusive to the plot, in the sense that they seamed a bit more heavy handed in how they stopped the secondary(or should the flashbacks be considered the primary narrative conceit?)in a slightly less elegant manner?

It seemed heavy handed this time. Or may be now I am more aware about the narrative device? Kinda like when you see a movie with a lot of CGI, in the moment that it is new you are taken in by the experience. But when you go back and watch it some time later you can see the layers in the shot that you never noticed the first time when you were just trying to drink it all in? Does that make sense?

I would love to hear what you guys think about that aspect of the book, since it does not give any spoilers and it a nagging issue I have been mulling over since about half way through the book.

I still give it my highest recommendation and I am a huge fan of Pat's writing style. His comic timing and his prose are very engaging.
I just had a very different reaction to what was one of my favorite things about the first novel.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

When it comes to the "Inn" portion of the story, I found myself wishing there was more of it. Not at the expense of the flashback portion, of course.

But I do know what you mean by the somewhat jarring nature of it. It didn't seem to flow as smoothly as it did in NotW. Though I'm not sure if that's because I knew about it(like the cgi movie in your example) or because it really was just rather abrupt in places.

message 22: by Christopher (last edited Mar 05, 2011 12:35PM) (new)

Christopher (theliterarygeek) | 96 comments Ala wrote: "When it comes to the "Inn" portion of the story, I found myself wishing there was more of it. Not at the expense of the flashback portion, of course.

But I do know what you mean by the somewhat ja..."

Jarring is a good way to describe it. It added depth to the story in tNotW, but now it is an obvious narrative tool to edit the rising action of the book's plot. I enjoyed it as it added depth but I was kind of put off by it from the midpoint to the end of aWMF, particularly in the falling action at the end of the novel.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

A few things now that I've thought about the book some:

One thing I'm worried about is just how mammoth the next book will have to be to incorporate and span all the years between the end of WMF and where the present day Kovthe is at the beginning of NotW.

Another thing: (view spoiler) Maybe I just need to reread, but that's how it came off to me.

message 24: by Shawn (last edited Mar 06, 2011 12:58PM) (new)

Shawn Hansen (geekles) | 5 comments I do not see how this series can be finished in one more book. Perhaps his time at University could be finished in one more book, but then there are many years after that (a great many years I assume, since he refers to Bast and Chronicler as "so young").

That said, I love this book. I hope for a long lasting career for Patrick Rothfuss.

message 25: by Christopher (last edited Mar 06, 2011 02:10PM) (new)

Christopher (theliterarygeek) | 96 comments Reply to Ala's spoiler comment(view spoiler)

Your comments are an interesting take on that issue. I am sure that this issue will require a closer reading of the novel the second time around.

I think we are going to see a bigger role for the Waystone moments to break up and move the flashback narrative along at the pace needed for the story to finish in the final installment.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

@Shawn
I don't know how he'll wrap it all up in the third, or if he'll pull a GRRM and split it up into two books.

Either way, I look forward to it :)

@Christopher
That's an interesting thought, since they do continuously tell 'Kote' that's he's rather young. Will have to ponder on that for a bit.

Guess a full re-read of both is in order sometime in the near future.

message 27: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5063 comments Now, if the audiobook is 42 hours, just how does Kvothe tell the story in one day? :) (via Luke on Sffaudio)

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

He actually speaks in shorthand.

message 29: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Reverman (Reverman) | 28 comments I really enjoyed the novel over all. I do agree that the Inn transitions were much more jarring however I'm not sure that really bothered me think i even liked it. (view spoiler)

message 30: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (theliterarygeek) | 96 comments Reverman wrote: "I really enjoyed the novel over all. I do agree that the Inn transitions were much more jarring however I'm not sure that really bothered me think i even liked it. [spoilers removed]"

I agree with you. That is about the same point in the novel that I had a hard moment to power through. I feel that structurally this novel is not as elegantly constructed as the first.

I wonder if there was a lot of personal and/or publisher pressure to get the novel out to capitalize on the the buzz from the first novel?

I am certain that despite my feelings about spoiler: (view spoiler) that these elements will prove essential in the final novel.

I want Pat to take all the time he needs to finish, just not a GRR Martin amount!!!

message 31: by j (last edited Mar 08, 2011 01:39PM) (new)

j (joeleoj) | 35 comments Tamahome wrote: "Now, if the audiobook is 42 hours, just how does Kvothe tell the story in one day? :) (via Luke on Sffaudio)"

that's just a myth. the story was really only 12 hours long. but you know how legends grow...

Christopher said: "I wonder if there was a lot of personal and/or publisher pressure to get the novel out to capitalize on the the buzz from the first novel?"

if that was the case, it certainly wouldn't have taken four years to get this one out... i am honestly surprised they didn't just make Rothfuss publish a slightly tweaked version of the already written sequels that he'd finished before the first book ever came out. [i re-read your post and realized you probably meant, did patrick have to fight to have more time on the book against pressure to release a sub-par product.]

i actually think holding off was a very wise move though, allowing the first book to build in stature and attain a mythic quality -- when is the next one coming? -- that wouldn't have been there is it was just another fantasy series published 1-2-3. that, and the likely improvement in quality via years of rewrites, will ultimately bode well for the books' longevity (and that of the author's career).

message 32: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (theliterarygeek) | 96 comments Joel wrote: "Tamahome wrote: "Now, if the audiobook is 42 hours, just how does Kvothe tell the story in one day? :) (via Luke on Sffaudio)"

that's just a myth. the story was really only 12 hours long. but yo..."

I guess that I did not think that it had been that long, 2007 to 2011 is a long time, but I thought there was originally an earlier release date in late 2009. But I could have that mixed in with the numerous GRR Martin delays.

I thought I remembered some blog musing about a delay due to a significant redux of the organization of the second book. But who knows. I am sure the publisher brought a lot of pressure to bear to get the final version out even if he might have been less than happy with the final product.

Every time I think or say that i feel like I am just complaining. But I am still taken aback with the intrusive nature of the two point narrative this time around. It was still a pleasure to read and am slightly sad that I did not draw out the reading longer.

I suppose if I ever get to be in a room with him again, it will be a question I will ask. I inferred from his q&a here in SF, that through out the process thus far he felt that there was always something that could have been crafted better on both books but ultimately you have to let go and get the book to the publisher.

I can barely put together a coherent short story or OP ED piece. Can't imagine writing something of that magnitude. Or the ensuing life changes that come with an international best seller.

"that's just a myth....." Clever and funny! love the comment.

message 33: by Eric (new)

Eric | 60 comments Here's a kind of spoilery question about Denna (view spoiler)

message 34: by j (new)

j (joeleoj) | 35 comments i was at a rothfuss signing tonight and actually asked how kvothe can tell a probably 35-hour story (minus the waystone inn parts) in a day. after some bs about how you talk faster than an audiobook narrator (yeah, sure, but not THAT much faster), he put me in my place by pointing out that maybe a day in the four corners is way longer than a day here.

it would have to be WAY longer to allow time for sleeping, but... ok. i was a little disappointed that he gave such a considered answer to a smartass question. i like my reasoning better!

it was a very fun event. he's a nice guy and i wish him all the best, even though NOTW was not my favorite.

message 35: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 09, 2011 09:35AM) (new)

@Eric
(view spoiler)

message 36: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5063 comments Maybe the days are really 42 hours now. Zomg, the earth is dying!

message 37: by Eric (new)

Eric Gardner | 113 comments Finished a few days ago. Love the book, hate the Waystone Inn sections.

I hope this busts out into a 10 book series because right now I can't imagine it all getting wrapped up in one more book.

message 38: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Hansen (geekles) | 5 comments Joel wrote: "i was at a rothfuss signing tonight and actually asked how kvothe can tell a probably 35-hour story (minus the waystone inn parts) in a day. after some bs about how you talk faster than an audioboo..."

So we can suspend disbelief as far as magic goes, but not as far as the length of a day? Curious.

message 39: by j (new)

j (joeleoj) | 35 comments I said it was not a serious question.

message 40: by Jared (new)

Jared (jared_king) | 51 comments Just got a new credit, salivating over it on audible, then i log in and BAM no such thing as Patrick Rothfuss or The Wise Man's Fear. I assume its because i live in Australia?? EXTREMELY disappointed. Joe Abercrombie will have to fill in for now. Although, that's not so bad :)

message 41: by Noel (new)

Noel Baker | 364 comments Tamahome wrote: "Maybe the days are really 42 hours now. Zomg, the earth is dying!"

Who said anything about Earth? Why should the day be 24 hours long there?

message 42: by Noel (new)

Noel Baker | 364 comments Jared wrote: "Just got a new credit, salivating over it on audible, then i log in and BAM no such thing as Patrick Rothfuss or The Wise Man's Fear. I assume its because i live in Australia?? EXTREMELY disappoint..."

It makes me hopping mad as it is the same in the UK. I wanted to get NOTW on audible, I have had the hard copy for ages but I wanted to refresh my memory by listening to it prior to the release of TWMF but astonishingly enough, no sign of it on audible uk. Every time I hear Tom and Leo plugging audible on TWIT and TNT I scream at them, 'Yes it's a great service but not so good outside the US! '

message 43: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5063 comments Maybe they're working on a Stephen Fry version. j/k

message 44: by Noel (new)

Noel Baker | 364 comments Tamahome wrote: "Maybe they're working on a Stephen Fry version. j/k"

Trouble is, it applies to loads of oth books as well. After Veronica's glowing endorsement, I tried to get the His Majesty's Dragon books on audible. Again, not in the UK......the list goes on and on.

message 45: by Nicolai (new)

Nicolai (Nemoi) | 47 comments Joel wrote: "i was at a rothfuss signing tonight and actually asked how kvothe can tell a probably 35-hour story (minus the waystone inn parts) in a day. after some bs about how you talk faster than an audioboo..."

Also finished it this week and it left me disappointed. I really like the writing and the description of the world, but two things bother me in particular. First, I find it a shame that basically all characters but Kvothe remain flat. When we finally get to know and like the people from the University, Kvothe goes somewhere else and we don't see them back for most of the books. In each parts of his journey we get completely new characters, so that we don't get to know any of them closely.
A little bit more nitpicky, but I also found myself to be annoyed by a lack of consistency in timing. I think it was Umberto Eco who once said that if you write a sequence where two people talk walking through a courtyard, you have to be careful to make their conversation about the length of a walk down the courtyard. Rothfuss, for all his beautiful writing, doesn't seem to have that sense. The story is way longer than what you could talk about in a day, and in many smaller parts there are things happening (e.g. with the Adem) that do not fit for me.

Oh well, at the end of the day, it was still an enjoyable and original read.

message 46: by Eric (new)

Eric Gardner | 113 comments Regarding the soldiers: (view spoiler)

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

@Eric
(view spoiler)

message 48: by Eric (new)

Eric Gardner | 113 comments Ala wrote: "@Eric
[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Hadn't really thought of it, though that could be the case.

As for the rest of it, no clue. Though can't wait to find out :)

message 50: by Tina (new)

Tina (javabird) | 497 comments Nicolai wrote: A little bit more nitpicky, but I also found myself to be annoyed by a lack of consistency in timing. I think it was Umberto Eco who once said that if you write a sequence where two people talk walking through a courtyard, you have to be careful to make their conversation about the length of a walk down the courtyard. Rothfuss, for all his beautiful writing, doesn't seem to have that sense. The story is way longer than what you could talk about in a day,..."

LOL. Sometimes I felt that way after watching an episodes of "24" too.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Name of the Wind (other topics)
The Wise Man's Fear (other topics)