FANGIRLS discussion

Book Club Discussions > *Hunger Games (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joyzi, loves the pedo bear (new)

Joyzi (jOiT) | 855 comments Mod
We've another book which is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. This book represents the Sci-fi Theme for March.

So yeah we can discuss the book, anything you want to ask and share.

Questions:

Do you like the book? Why or why not?

Favorite character:

Unforgettable scene:

If you were a tribute in the game what skills do you have right now that you think will help you win the game?

Peeta or Gale?

Have you read any other books by Suzanne Collins? Do you recommend them?

Any sci-fi books you want to recommend?

message 2: by Joyzi, loves the pedo bear (new)

I gave it 5 stars, I love it. The thing that I like most about it is that it makes you think about their society and also your society. I also love the characters and that this book has a lot of adventure and fight scenes.

Favorite character:
My favorite character is Katniss, she's just so brave and strong and I love that she cares for Prim and that she knows how to handle herself in dangerous situations. I love that she can really use the arrow as her weapon, she's so bad-ass.

Unforgettable scene:
I love the part wherein they're already in the arena and you just feel the excitement and the danger of the game and also the part wherein Rue allied with Katniss.

If you were a tribute in the game what skills do you have right now that you think will help you win the game?
I think since I'm not that strong, my brain is my biggest weapon and maybe I can make alliances too.

Peeta or Gale?
I love Peeta because for most of the part he's there and we got to know more about him rather than Gale. I also like how he uses his peculiar talents to outwit the game. He may not be that strong but he know how to make a strategy.

I've read Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins and Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins and I really recommend them, this is the best series ever IMO.

With sci-fi I recommend these:
The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1) by James Patterson The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie The Egg Said Nothing by Caris O'Malley

message 3: by KaiPea (new)

KaiPea | 6 comments Do you like the book? Why or why not?

Oh man, I love this book! Everything about is awesome, I can still remember the adrenaline rush it gave me.

Favorite character:

Katniss - two words: GIRL POWER!!!

Unforgettable scene:
When Peeta says in the interview he's in love with Katniss
And the part where Katniss shot an arrow on one of the panels. YOU HAVE TO ADMIT SHE HAS GUTS!!

>I'm a red belt in Taekwondo
>as a nurse I have nursing skills like imma stab a syringe on my opponent's jugular vein.
>And I know the first secret of survival: making FIRE

Peeta or Gale?

PEETA!!! THE GUY BAKES, MAN! WHO DOESN'T WANT A GUY WHO BAKES?? and he is charismatic. Smart either.

Catching Fire and Mokingjay...Well, yeah...

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide, #1) by Douglas Adams

message 4: by Joyzi, loves the pedo bear (new)

@KaiPea I didn't know you are a nurse too, are you already working? Yeah you're so cool, you know how to make fire.

message 5: by KaiPea (new)

KaiPea | 6 comments Well, I'm still a nursing student. XD
I was a girl scout back in elementary the superiors kinda showed us how to make fire....I feel so old. -.-

message 6: by Joyzi, loves the pedo bear (new)

me too, I'm a graduating nursing student, I also joined girl scout back then but idk how to make a fire (T_T)

message 7: by jules (new)

jules (zowboy) Do you like the book? Why or why not?

Yes, I really liked it. Hmmm.... it was one of those books that I can't put down, and it was really unique and exciting.

Favorite character:
Rue. She was awesome because she was so young but still had amazing talent and was definitely just the best!

Unforgettable scene:
Rue's death. Noooo, my favorite character! It made me cry.... and then it was sad when Katniss sang. And she promised to win the Games for Rue

Well, I can swim... I would probably be best at just hiding until mostly everyone else is gone. And try to get allies, of course

Peeta or Gale?
Ahhh... I have to actually go with Gale. He was there first.

other books by Suzanne Collins? Do you recommend them?

Catching Fire Mockingjay

I recommend the rest of the series if you enjoyed the Hunger Games.

sci-fi books you want to recommend?

1984Dr. Franklin's Island

message 8: by Janus (new)

Janus the Erudite Artist (jveruditeartist) | 52 comments Do you like the book? Why or why not?
Yes I really liked this book. It’s one of the best books I’ve read this year and I finally understood the reason behind its popularity. It has a unique plot and very adventurous storyline.

Favorite character:
My favorite character would be Peeta. He goes to show us not to underestimate the power of brains over brawns.

Unforgettable scene:
The interview of Peeta before entering the arena’s something I could never forget. It’s really cute and romantic and not to mention SHOCKING!

If you were a tribute in the game what skills do you have right now that you think will help win the game?
Ugh! This is awful. I think I’d be the first to die if ever I’m a tribute. I’m too pampered. I’m also what you call “lampa” in Filipino which sums up to words like weakling, clumsy, wimp, dork and all that stuff. Ha! Ha! I have no fighting skills and even if I get away with hiding out I’d probably die of hunger or poisoning since I don’t have survival skills. Poor me! ☹

Peeta or Gale?
Do you have to ask? Ha! Ha! Definitely Peeta. But that’s because Gale wasn’t given anything strong for the readers to grasp about him. If I’d known him better I would probably be juggling my decision between the two of them

Yes, I’ve read Catching Fir and Mockingjay; both really incredible books that are worth the time and money.

Yeeeaaaahhhh… about that, I don’t think I’m the best person to recommend anything; because I don’t even know how to classify the genres of what I’ve read. All I know is that most of them are YA, nothing beyond that! Damn me!

message 9: by Joyzi, loves the pedo bear (new)

@Julia I love Rue too, I cried when I read Rue's death for the second time, uhhm that's seems really odd but I didn't cry when I first read the Hunger Games maybe because when I read it for the second time I read the book slower than the first time I read it. Btw please don't ask me how many times I read the whole series, I read it so many times I lost count. :)

message 10: by Joyzi, loves the pedo bear (new)

@Janus I'm like you at first idk how to classify what I'm reading into different genres, I just learn recently through Goodreads :)

message 11: by Janus (new)

Janus the Erudite Artist (jveruditeartist) | 52 comments Really? I hope I learn soon.. ^^

message 12: by Joyzi, loves the pedo bear (new)

Haha yeah like I learn about the genre about dystopia, steampunk, historical romance etc. I just learn it here even the term "young adult or YA"

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie | 643 comments Mod
I love this book! I consider it as one of the BEST YA novels. Not only was the story awesome also, the characters were memorable. I love the perfect blend of realism and fantasy in this book.

Favorite character:
Peeta, simply because he's the reason why Katniss shines the brightest in the story.

Unforgettable scene:
When Peeta was under the cave also when Katniss was in danger of being killed by the aggressive allies of Peeta. Okay, the cave situation was pretty cheesy, but hey, I love it! while the latter one's nice turn of events for me. Peeta, forming an allegiance with other district representatives just to be able to protect Katniss! wow, isn't that romantic/heroic :)

I will use the art of deception hehe :P

Peeta or Gale?
Peeta! Intelligent, lovable, reliable/trustworthy, a baker, gentleman...in short, almost perfect :)

The Catching Fire and Mockingjay.

I've only read a single sci-fi book aside from this one and that is Digital Fortress by Dan Brown
I'm not really good at labeling books so if you think that this book's not a sci-fi one don't hesitate to correct me ^^

message 14: by Joyzi, loves the pedo bear (new)

I'm not sure but maybe Dan Brown's can be sci-fi but I think they are more like mystery thrillers.

message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie | 643 comments Mod
I just saw your post Joyzi, let me add up The Time Traveler's Wife hehe didn't know it's also considered as sci-fi.

message 16: by Joyzi, loves the pedo bear (new)

I think it's sci-fi because of the time travel stuff

message 17: by Nina ♥ (last edited Mar 30, 2011 04:16PM) (new)

Nina ♥ (ninaaa) | 15 comments Do you like the book? Why or why not?
YES YES YES! Do I really need to tell you why? I love the action, the romance, the main characters' bravery, and the society that Collins made and the way she portrayed it so realistically.

Favorite character:
That's hard. I practically love all of the (except president Snow. I wanna choke him). I really love the whole badass team: Katniss, Peeta, Gale, and most of all HAYMITCH AND CINNA!

Unforgettable scene:
When Claudius Templesmith (it was him, right?) announced that there could be two winners in one district and Katniss immediately shouted Peeta's name and then when she finds him he says, "you here to finish me off, sweetheart?" And also when Rue died. I cried like a baby.

BRAINS OF COURSE! Everything else is useless...well, some of them.

Peeta or Gale?
Hmmm...tough choice! I actually like both of them. Peeta's just so sweet and caring and adorable. I didn't know much about Gale because he didn't show up much in the first two books, but I loved him in Mockingjay. But I'm still team Peeta. :D

I've also read the second book, Catching Fire, and it was amazing. I've read about...60% of Mockingjay, lol. I still don't know if I love it or hate it.

message 18: by Joyzi, loves the pedo bear (new)

eeeeek I hate Gale in Mockingjay

message 19: by Nina ♥ (new)

Nina ♥ (ninaaa) | 15 comments Why? What does he do? I still haven't finished Mockingjay but my friend told me he leaves Katniss or something...

message 20: by C Joy (new)

C Joy (yurioujo) | 6 comments Joyzi (littlemissya) wrote: "eeeeek I hate Gale in Mockingjay"

I know most of you love Peeta, but I only appreciated him in the last page of the last book LOL. He's too tame for me; he and Katniss really suit well together. Against all odds, I'm for team Gale, as himself, not for Katniss.

message 21: by C Joy (new)

C Joy (yurioujo) | 6 comments Nina ♥ wrote: "Why? What does he do? I still haven't finished Mockingjay but my friend told me he leaves Katniss or something..."

If you don't mind a little spoiler, it's true he leaves Katniss for District 2, but I saw it as him giving Katniss the choice. Eventually she needs to choose between Peeta and him, and given her perspective and the way Suzanne Collins wrote about Katniss's feelings, she's undecided. She was relieved when Gale went away to pursue a career.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahbotbonkers) | 333 comments @Joy: I agree with you. I like Peeta only on the third book. He's too kind and soft for me too. Glad to have known another Team Gale! :D

message 23: by Sarah (last edited Mar 30, 2011 09:47AM) (new)

Sarah (sarahbotbonkers) | 333 comments Question 1: Do you like the book? Why or why not?
I really like the series actually. And I like Hunger Games the most out of the three. The next would be MockingJay. It was all fresh and really gripping and exhilirating at the same time.

Question 2: Favorite character
My favorite character would be Cinna. Very talented and mysterious.

Question 3: Unforgettable scene
That would be when Rue died.

Question 4: If you were a tribute in the game what skills do you have right now that you think will help you win the game?

I think none. Haha. But I do have special talents in not sleeping for a whole day and not drinking water at all. But I think that would not help me win, right? :))

Question 5: Peeta or Gale?
This question has been asked everytime somebody knows I've read the series. And I always disappoint them by saying I'm Team Gale. It's not in the I-love-Edward-I-hate-Jacob sort of way (BTW I hate them both, so). I do not have to hate the other to prefer the other one. Peeta is just too soft and kind for me. I like Gale because he is sturdy, dependable and not to mention handsome in a manly way. That totally killed my argument but I so do not care.

Question 6: Have you read any other books by Suzanne Collins? Do you recommend them?
Yes, the other two books in the series, Catching Fire and MockingJay. And I'd recommend them.

Question 7: Any sci-fi books you want to recommend?
Honestly, I'm confused. I thought The Hunger Games series is a dystopian lit?

message 24: by Joyzi, loves the pedo bear (last edited Mar 30, 2011 08:42PM) (new)

@Nina I hate Gale in Mockingjay because he became heartless and he kind of (view spoiler) though indirectly, and yeah he also leave Katniss in the end I thought they were bestfriends mmmmmm I just didn't like that he just left

message 25: by Joyzi, loves the pedo bear (new)

@Sarah I think it's also Sci-fi(ish) because the setting is futuristic and they have the technology like the mutts

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahbotbonkers) | 333 comments @Joyzi: Yes, I did research. :)) It said that any book with reference to the future is called sci-fi. So yeah THG did qualify. :D

message 27: by Joyzi, loves the pedo bear (new)

Yes I think there are books that fits more than one genre

Eriele the Mermaid (sinworth) | 31 comments Mod
Questions:

That`s a yes. It reveals what real life is, especially now that money`s worth is increasing over time. It could totally happen in the near future if the government turns like that. And Katniss is very different from any character I know. She`s pretty unpredictable, like you expected her to cry and move on but what really happens is she`s reflecting on everything for weeks.

Favorite character:
Peeta Mellark. Most fans would tell Katniss, but I chose Peeta. He`s really good besides the fact that he`s a baker. It was perfectly proven when he`d rather be eaten by the weird creatures than know that he`s choking the life out of Katniss. Though what`s depressing is he would not survive without Katniss, I think.

Unforgettable scene:
When Katniss had escaped and Peeta was captured by the Capitol. It was really heart-breaking. That feeling when your loved one was grabbed away from your eyes, and you`re not sure if you`re gonna see him again.

I`d go for bow and arrows as well. When I was younger, I always hoped to use that. But I could only use that on far encounters. Also fast reflexes. Sword fight? Game!

Peeta or Gale?
Peeta. It was obviously Peeta because Gale was not mentioned much like Peeta by Katniss. But I really love Peeta. He would love you with everything he can. And Gale would be one of your basic needs. XD

Nope. But I think I`ll try the Gregor the Overlander. Some of my friends says it`s pretty good.

None. Sorry.

message 29: by kells (new)

kells | 1 comments Do you like the book? Yes it's my favourite series, I just thought the whole plot really interested me and I couldn/t put it down once I started.
Favorite character:
Peeta is so sweet ,so devoted I love his personality.
Unforgettable scene: When Katniss volunteered to take prim's place.

Elusiveness, Slingshot.
Peeta or Gale? Peeta.

No I don't know
Any sci-fi books you want to recommend? if you like the hunger games you will love divergent.