The Five Ghosts discussion

Book Suggestions > March Book Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat M (cataraqui) | 64 comments Mod
Alrighty, so, suggestions for March? I have one book I would like to read, it's called 'The Knife of Never Letting Go' by Patrick Ness. So that is my suggestion :) Now everyone else make one lol XP

message 2: by Tristan (last edited Mar 01, 2011 08:01PM) (new)

Tristan Wong (TheMonolith) | 82 comments My collection isn't that diverse, and again, I'm going with "House of Suns" by Alastair Reynolds on this one. That or "Do Androids Dreams of Electric Sheep" by Phillip K. Dick--a book recommended to me by my previous boss.

There's my piece of ten.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 01, 2011 07:00AM) (new)

I really liked Phillip K. Dick.

Let's see. Recommendations?

The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1) by Brent Weeks is the only book that I'm currently thinking of reading that isn't a second or third part of a series. I've heard good things.

message 4: by Tristan (new)

Tristan Wong (TheMonolith) | 82 comments Funny, I saw someone reading that on the skytrain and I was rather curious about the book--or was it a year ago my friend was reading that? I can't remember. I'd be down to read that as well. Though I may be short on time as now I'm dealing with my own animation course :/

message 5: by Kat (new)

I'd actually like to read The Way of Shadows too... assassins are cool 8D

message 6: by Tristan (new)

Tristan Wong (TheMonolith) | 82 comments Little bit of a daunting read, don't you think?

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 03, 2011 07:14AM) (new)

Tristan wrote: "Little bit of a daunting read, don't you think?"

What? Scared of anything over 300 pages? XD

If you go for 50 pages or so a day (an hour/hour and a half of reading time), you'll be done with it in like 2 weeks!

message 8: by Tristan (new)

Tristan Wong (TheMonolith) | 82 comments Lol, thanks for the reassurance--I'll try my best then to barge through it. Though it'll take me a real long while :P

message 9: by Kat (new)

I still gotta go get it xp

message 10: by Tristan (new)

Tristan Wong (TheMonolith) | 82 comments So we all agreeing on this?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

If we want. I started it last night.

message 12: by Kat (new)

I say yes :P

message 13: by Tristan (new)

Tristan Wong (TheMonolith) | 82 comments Alright, I'm off to go and grab a copy.

message 14: by Tristan (new)

Tristan Wong (TheMonolith) | 82 comments First words I see when I flip to the very first page to glance at (more like the middle of the book, I just threw the book open), and I couldn't stop laughing.

"Go now! Go Fuck! Go Fuck!"

Now less this dudes name is fuck (poor bastard), then this has to be the first ever fantasy book I've ever read where the liberal use of 'fuck' is used excessively. Just from that alone, this has to be worth a read :D

message 15: by Kat (new)

I MUST READ THIS LOL

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

That's amazing.

I can't just flip through pages. Damn you, ebook!

So far it's going pretty fast for me.

message 17: by Meri (last edited Mar 06, 2011 05:28PM) (new)

Meri B (bigducky) | 21 comments So I actually managed to download this one, and now that portfolios are over I can actually join in with the March book. Woo!

message 18: by Tristan (new)

Tristan Wong (TheMonolith) | 82 comments Download it? You bastard? JK :P

Tally of "fucks" in book so far in 70 pages: I
I almost hate to say it, but this is actually a damn good book so far in my opinion. Which is odd for me to say, again, sci-fi and what not.

message 19: by Meri (new)

Meri B (bigducky) | 21 comments I know. I'm killing the publishing industry. I'm a terrible person.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Meri wrote: "I know. I'm killing the publishing industry. I'm a terrible person."

It's okay. I didn't spend the money on a Nook just to spend 9 dollars per book. <.<

message 21: by Tristan (new)

Tristan Wong (TheMonolith) | 82 comments Meri wrote: "I know. I'm killing the publishing industry. I'm a terrible person."

Lol, just razzin' yah! In all honesty, I wish I thought of it, I'm running my bank account to the ground at this rate :P

message 22: by Meri (new)

Meri B (bigducky) | 21 comments Well, I feel still bad. Borders is about to file bankruptcy. And I love books. Real books, I mean. The kind that fill shelves and you can thumb through and smell funny when they get old.
I'm just poor. And also lazy. I don't even know where the nearest bookstore is actually...

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Generally if I buy books I get them from half price, it's pretty amazing that they've got an online selection now too. Before you had to go into their store and browse. :3

message 24: by Meri (new)

Meri B (bigducky) | 21 comments Is anyone else a little overwhelmed at all the names in this book? I am having a lot of trouble keeping track of them.
In any case, it's been a pretty enticing read so far. I'm on chapter 14 and I just started last night. It probably helps that I just finished watching a tv series and have yet to move on to a new one, but still, I usually take my time with books.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Meri wrote: "Is anyone else a little overwhelmed at all the names in this book? I am having a lot of trouble keeping track of them.
In any case, it's been a pretty enticing read so far. I'm on chapter 14 and I ..."

I got them downpat after the first 100 pages. XD

For awhile there all the nobles were blurring together.

message 26: by Tristan (new)

Tristan Wong (TheMonolith) | 82 comments I'm at page 102, and I got the names and can put the faces. But then when they start throwing in names such as Rat's bodyguards I believe it is, then I start to get lost. That bastard and his wide array of body-guards--I'm having trouble keeping track of one, let alone three.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Tristan wrote: "I'm at page 102, and I got the names and can put the faces. But then when they start throwing in names such as Rat's bodyguards I believe it is, then I start to get lost. That bastard and his wide ..."

Roth is the only important one... I think.

message 28: by Meri (new)

Meri B (bigducky) | 21 comments It's actually more the names of places that get me...It would probably help if I had some sort of map for reference.

message 29: by Kat (new)

I may not be able to read it this month because school is an angry transvestite with a twelve inch strap on and I am her prison bitch. T_T In other words, we have to have all the animation for our film roughed in less than three weeks or we're doomed.

I FAIL AS THE BOOK CLUB MAKER PERSON

message 30: by Tristan (new)

Tristan Wong (TheMonolith) | 82 comments Meri wrote: "It's actually more the names of places that get me...It would probably help if I had some sort of map for reference."

The paperback version gives you a map, I'm not sure about the electronic one though :/

Alanna wrote: "I may not be able to read it this month because school is an angry transvestite with a twelve inch strap on and I am her prison bitch. T_T In other words, we have to have all the animation for our ..."

Gooooood analogy! :P Eh, shit happens right? I'll be right in the thick of where you're at by October roughly--20 weeks to get story and art done for a game :(

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah. My version doesn't have a map. The 'LOOK INSIDE' on the Amazon listing, fixes the lack though. <.< I didn't even realize I wanted a map till you mentioned it.

OH! I only had to live through those cram sessions vicariously. I do not envy you. 11 weeks for a 30 second animation. 11 weeks to concept out and create a functioning game in Unreal. My husband used to go for a few days without sleep and just crash out in the middle of the floor somewhere. One time he did so in the hallway on the way to the bathroom and our mutual friend thought he was dead. At least those days are behind us. The only time we have to deal with deadlines is him staying till 12pm at work because some part of the game is due in a few days.

message 32: by Meri (new)

Meri B (bigducky) | 21 comments Ah! Amazon! I will go look at it there, I was up last night searching for a map somewhere online. Thanks for the tip.
And good luck with your film Alanna!

message 33: by Meri (new)

Meri B (bigducky) | 21 comments Chapter 41, about halfway through the book: "The stabbing continued, and it irritated him."

Did anyone else laugh when they read that?

message 34: by Tristan (new)

Tristan Wong (TheMonolith) | 82 comments :/ I'm still at 22 I think it is--LOL at the line :). This book never fails to make me smile. I've counted more "shits" and "fucks" so far that it this book is going on top of everything I own.

This is like the street version of LOTR, which is pure, unadulterated awesome.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't really laugh at that. I just did one of those head tilts and reread it to make sure I got it right.

That's about where I am in the book. I was slacking. XD

message 36: by Meri (new)

Meri B (bigducky) | 21 comments Well, I just finished the book. (This is only definite proof I really have no life) Good read overall. I feel as if I don't have any choice but to move on to the next one I suppose.
I found it very infuriating at times how they would leave one thread of the story dangling for what felt like ever. I guess it keeps you reading though.

message 37: by Tristan (new)

Tristan Wong (TheMonolith) | 82 comments Lol, I'm nearly finished as well--reading on the bus and at the mall whilst dealing with programming :/.

So far, I've given it an applause, but damn did it take a while to get interesting. Took me two-hundred and fifty pages to give a damn about Azoth. After that, when he turned into the assassin, it started to reek with tensity (is that even the right word? Reek?)

Best line on 462 I think it was "Go, get out! Go fuck! Go fuck!" Never in my life have I ever heard someone describe sex as the king as just done so in fantasy ever, forcing our young Prince Logan to make love to Jenine I believe it was. I almost hate to say it, but he's my personal hero--that line makes him awesome.

message 38: by Tristan (new)

Tristan Wong (TheMonolith) | 82 comments I got the reading done finally, but I'm a bit disappointed with the way it ended. Good story, pretty good cast list and a gritty set-piece with all the sex that would shame Downtown Vancouver (Hastings street... I know, lame joke if you live around BC). But when I finished today by the time I got to my bus-stop on the way home from Film School, I felt cheated.

It's like, the king does this and shit happens then Kylar did this and shit happens. Momma K did this and shit happens, in no way did I feel like I had some sort of closure to any of the characters in the novel, or even the story itself. I need to buy the sequel :/ Argh, and I'm already in a deficit.

message 39: by Meri (new)

Meri B (bigducky) | 21 comments I guess that's kind of the point. If you are unsatisfied with the way it ends of course you are going to pay them more money.

message 40: by Tristan (new)

Tristan Wong (TheMonolith) | 82 comments Which is kind of a bummer, I was hoping they wouldn't pull that off just so I can go with a different book for the time being. I mean, that is such a mean move.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished it Friday, but I was at a con. Totally caught me by surprise. Thought I had a good 10 pages left, but no, it was just Author chitchat.

Kindof want to know what happens, but then kindof don't. It got way intense and complex at the 3/4ths mark. Every other chapter was 'oh ho ho! you didn't see -this- coming!'

Discouraging. Will have to finish the series eventually.

message 42: by Meri (new)

Meri B (bigducky) | 21 comments Dammit. I managed to download the second, but it's not converting properly for my kindle...I SUPPOSE I could buy it...or maybe I'll look for another book downloading site.

message 43: by Tristan (new)

Tristan Wong (TheMonolith) | 82 comments I'd say piratebay, but even I don't trust most their torrents.

message 44: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 21, 2011 05:46PM) (new)

Meri wrote: "Dammit. I managed to download the second, but it's not converting properly for my kindle...I SUPPOSE I could buy it...or maybe I'll look for another book downloading site."

I got the trilogy from Demonoid. Do you use Calibre to convert?

I also use a nook...seems more flexible as it accepts 2 formats instead of just MOBI. <.< XD

message 45: by Meri (new)

Meri B (bigducky) | 21 comments I've just been using freebookspot.com...it can be kind of sketchy and iffy with some books.
I do use Calibre though.
I'll try to check out those sits

message 46: by Tristan (new)

Tristan Wong (TheMonolith) | 82 comments Do you read on the computer or one of those E-books readers? I've always contemplated getting one, but always thought they were a tad bit expensive.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Tristan wrote: "Do you read on the computer or one of those E-books readers? I've always contemplated getting one, but always thought they were a tad bit expensive."

I use an e-book reader. Staring at a computer screen that long just kills my eyes.

It paid for itself already, you know.. number of books read at 7 dollars each (estimating, some of the ones I've read are 10-22 on Amazon, or I could have found them for 3.50 at Half price). But, this is considering that I'm not buying the ebooks they offer on their website.

message 48: by Tristan (new)

Tristan Wong (TheMonolith) | 82 comments So anything happening next month?

message 49: by Meri (new)

Meri B (bigducky) | 21 comments hopefully?

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree! Hopefully. Have any suggestions? XD

« previous 1