Especially For You discussion

how do you deal with Parents leaving the church?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken (new)

Ken | 9 comments Please help me. It is so hard to be the only person in my family to still have faith in the lord.

message 2: by Lindsey (last edited Apr 30, 2011 11:57PM) (new)

Lindsey | 20 comments I am so sorry I am sure that is the hardest thing ever. I can't even imagine it. I don't get on goodreads hardly at all anymore, but the best thing I would say to do is just the simple thing of reading your scriptures and praying EVERY day. That is the best way heavenly father will be able to give you the strength that you need to stay strong and courageous- through the scriptures, and every day personal revelation. Also another thing I would suggest is writing down when things happen that strengthen your testimony. Like you go through a trial and but you see the blessings in your life as you stay strong and see heavenly father helping you. Or when you have a really strong spiritual expieriece where the Holy Ghost testifies to you really strongly of principles of the gospel, the restoration and Joseph Smith, and Jesus Christ. Write it down. In my life right now I am seeing several people falling from the church, and I just don't understand how, it makes me sick to think about it and the consequnces that will come, but the thing I hold to is the affirmation of the holy ghost testifying to me that it is true, the full gospel was restored through Joseph Smith, and Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ did come to him in real life. Even if I have a day when I am having a hard time and at the moment it is hard for me to feel that I know the church is true, I remember the times when the spirit has testified to me that I am a daughter of God and the Church is true, and it will help me get through the day. It is a lot easier to remember those times when you write it down, you don't get so confused if you have something physical you can hold in your hand that says 'this day I KNEW'. If you write down every time the Holy Ghost witnesses to you, and you KNOW in that moment that a certain thing is true, then you will have written down a book full of testimonies that came from you! And when you have that hard day or time or whatever it is you are going through you will have that to go to, and read and say, even though at this instant my faith may be wavering, and I am having a hard time remembering what I belieive and why, I have this whole list of times when I KNEW that I was living life for a reason and with a purpose and I was NEVER going to back down and submit to temptation. Then you just have to trust and have faith in the Lord for that little while that you struggle and try to build yourself up again by doing all the sunday school answer type stuff. So with faith and remembering your own testimony, which we can do by writing it down and being able to read it later, we will NOT fall. I really believe that.

Also turn and rely on your church friends, they want to help you and will always be there for you, especially when you are having a hard time. One of my favorite scriptures EVER is Joshua 1:9- the youth theme last year, and also another good one is 1 corinthians 10:13. I hope my sharing things that help me will be able to help you too! Keep being strong and remember who you are, where you are going, who will be there, and what we will want Him to say/think of our actions on earth.

Your sister in Christ,

Lindsey ( :

message 3: by Ken (new)

Ken | 9 comments Thank you for your help.

message 4: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 20 comments Sure! Sorry it is so long, once I got going I had a lot to say :D

message 5: by Ken (new)

Ken | 9 comments The more the merrier.

message 6: by Hope (new)

Hope | 58 comments Mod
I definitely agree with Lindsey. I don't get on very much anymore, but I happened to get on today and I just wanted to let you know, Mackenzie, that even though we struggle with our faith, it always helps when those around us are strong. If you remember the reason you have been true, it will be easier for your family to remember. I have a friend who has gone through the same thing, and it's hard, but she keeps praying and hoping and encouraging them to come to church with her. Her mom has been coming to Sacrament Meeting for a year now. Even if it takes a long time, your example will be realized by them. Just always remember how wonderful you are in our Heavenly Father's eyes. He loves you and wants to help.

message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken | 9 comments Sometimes a person needs advice to keep going through life. It is because of the other peoples strength that people can get through their problems. Thank you so much.

message 8: by Hope (new)

Hope | 58 comments Mod
Anytime Mackenzie. That's why we're here:) Thanks for trusting us.

message 9: by Ken (new)

Ken | 9 comments That is why i joined.