FANGIRLS discussion

Book Club Discussions > *Clockwork Angel (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joyzi, loves the pedo bear (new)

Joyzi (joit) | 854 comments Mod
Hey guys! Wow it's March and we've got to read and discuss this wonderful book Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare for the Month's Theme Steampunk.

So we can discuss anything here, post your questions and share your answers and just babble about it.

Questions:

Do you like it or not? Why?

Favorite Character:

Unforgettable Scene:

Will or Jem?:

Have you read any other Cassandra Clare books before? Do you want to recommend them?

What about steampunk? Are you new on this genre? Are there any steampunk books you've read and want to recommend?

message 2: by Joyzi, loves the pedo bear (last edited Feb 28, 2011 06:38PM) (new)

--I love it, I gave it 5 stars because the world building's great, the characters are likable and the dialogues are very good. It's also unpredictable.

Favorite Character:
--My favorite character is Jem. He's very sweet, noble and intelligent person and I love that he's struggling through an illness I think that makes his character more interesting and you just want to root for him.

Unforgettable Scene:
--I think I really love the scene wherein Jem kisses Tessa's hands and also the first time they saw one another. I also like the last parts of the book you're just at the edge of your seat and how the villain was revealed was really shocking.

Will or Jem?:
--I really prefer Jem over Will. I'm most often than not root for the second guy.

Have you read any other Cassandra Clare books before? Do you want to recommend them?
--I really recommend the Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare:
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare
--the world building and the characters are great, and it gets better and better.

What about steampunk? Are you new on this genre? Are there any steampunk books you've read and want to recommend?
--I'm new on this genre, Clockwork Angel was the first steampunk book I've read.

Wee Shubba's World (weeshubbasworld) | 2 comments Do you like it or not? Why?
I honestly wasnt a fan of this book. I only gave it 2/5. I found it very slow and boring. However it picked up a little at the end.

Favorite Character:
I dont really have any. However, I guess Will maybe.

Unforgettable Scene:
Sadly I didn't find any scenes unforgettable.

Will or Jem?:
Will only because he is like a carbon copy of Jace.

I read the Mortal intrument Series and I love that. Highly Recommended

This was my first steampunk novel and I just dont think it for me.

To see my full review see here: Clockwork Angel

message 4: by Joyzi, loves the pedo bear (new)

Wow nice blog you've got there. Still I'm glad you're not totally giving up on the series. I do hope it gets better too and there are so many questions left hanging like what kind of creature Tessa is. Is she a warlock or any other kind of creature?

Wee Shubba's World (weeshubbasworld) | 2 comments Joyzi (littlemissya) wrote: "Wow nice blog you've got there. Still I'm glad you're not totally giving up on the series. I do hope it gets better too and there are so many questions left hanging like what kind of creature Tessa..."

Thanks Its my 2nd baby lol.

Yeah I will read the next because. The kinda was a cliff hanger. I think maybe she is of warlock. but not sure. Be interesting to find out though, and hopefully see more Magnus!!

message 6: by Joyzi, loves the pedo bear (new)

Yeah Magnus is always a quirky character, I'm so excited on who will be the cast for him on the TMI movies.

message 7: by Rosalba (last edited Mar 04, 2011 06:50PM) (new)

Rosalba Rodriguez | 24 comments * I really liked Clockwork Angel. I really want to know what turns this book is going to take! Is Tessa a worlock, an experiment or both? Can't wait to read the next book!!

* My favorite character is believe it or not Tessa Lol. She has the best power. I mean to change into whoever you want and feel their emotions? How cool is that?

* Any moment that Will was nice to Tessa ( which there weren't many). But what can I say? I'm a sucker for sexi revel guys. Will goes over the limit but I'm hoping he will change ;-)

* I want to pick Will because I know that's who Tessa likes but Will is such an ass! I don't kno how they could compare him to Jace. I do hope that he starts treating Tessa better by the next book

* I read the Mortal Instruments trilogy and loved it! That's what motivated me to read this one. I do recommend them.

* I am new to Steam Punk and so far I like it.

Can't wait for the next book in the series!!!!

message 8: by Joyzi, loves the pedo bear (new)

@Rosalba I'm excited for the next book too, hope it gets better. More Jem in the next book!

message 9: by Jenni (new)

Jenni (jentoyi) | 14 comments Do you like it or not? Why?
I like the world that Cassie has built up, and the prequel really gives us a insight to the Shadowhunters history. And I know we can't resist the two guys in the series that are so likeable, who surrounds around the mysterious shapeshifting Tessa.

Favorite Character:
Oh, that was a hard one. I guess at the beginning I like Will more than Jem, because of the mysterious vibe I get from him. But after the little teasers from the "Clockwork Prince", I have to say that I'm indifferent between these two. Hard choice for me to finalize the male for Tessa. One is so tough and hard but with a troubled past, and one is so caring, soft with a sickness that may cause the death of him.
But other than the male characters, I also like Tessa, because of her interesting shapshift transformation. Until now, we still don't know for sure what kind of "type" she is so can't wait to find that out.

Unforgettable Scene:
It has to be the sexy kissing scene between Tessa and Will. The kiss which was " so brief, and desperate and wild and taste like holywater" *squeel*

Will or Jem?:
Like I said before, I'm indifferent for now. Never know what will change my mind in the next book "Clockwork Prince".

Yes, I read the Mortal instruments first (just the first 2 books, waiting for my 3rd book "City of Glass" :D) And I definitely recommend them if you haven't read them. Besides there is a movie coming out of "City Of Bones" so do read them before it.

Yes, this was the first book I've read of this genre, and it was actually pretty good.

message 10: by Joyzi, loves the pedo bear (new)

@Jentoyi I really really suggest to buy City of Glass now, for me it is the best out of the three books ^^

message 11: by Jenni (new)

Jenni (jentoyi) | 14 comments Joyzi (littlemissya) wrote: "@Jentoyi I really really suggest to buy City of Glass now, for me it is the best out of the three books ^^"

I think I will! I heard many saying that, and it's a miracle that I could prevent myself to look up all the spoiler-ish things about the book xD Have to read it in time before City Of Fallen Angels^^

message 12: by Joyzi, loves the pedo bear (new)

Okies is it that CoFA will be publish this next month?

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie | 643 comments Mod
Not just like but Love. Romantic at the same time action-packed book, that will leave you wanting for more. I love the contrast between the characters especially between Will and Jem. Both are cool in their own ways. As for Tessa, well I love her power. Another thing to take note is the twist and turn of events. Like the sudden change of allegiance of Tessa's bro. which I never expected to happen.

Favorite Character:
Tessa, well okay she's not as badass as Rose but I think her character's pretty tolerable. Just the average persona. What made me like her is her powers. I really adore characters capable of shape-shifting :D

Unforgettable Scene:
I've mentioned this one in my review but I'll repeat it again. The moment when they're going for the big fight and Jem just kissed Tessa's hand leaving Will on top of his horse sulking because...maybe, he's jealous >.< which made me gush and gush and gush again.

Will or Jem?:
I'll choose Will(the jerk).

Ta-da! Here they are: City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare

I'm really not that confident with my knowledge regarding the said genre so, I think Clockwork Angel's my first steampunk book.

message 14: by Julie (new)

Julie | 643 comments Mod
@Joyzi: wow, we have so much thoughts in common :)

@Rosalba: me too, likes Tessa LoL. I think the reason for comparison between Will and Jace is the physical aspect and not the character. Because, Jace is such a gentleman unlike our poor-drunkard Will haha!

message 15: by Bookrazy-Koi (new)

Bookrazy-Koi (Bookrazy) | 33 comments OHKAY... here's what i think:

+ I love the series..it's original and it is not SAPPY! Clare is an awesome writer..her prose rock!

+ Favorite character would be Magnus Bane...he's just awesome and punk rock like that! LOL

+ Unforgettable scene...JEM and TESSA on the bridge.

+ Here's what I think about the BROmance and Tessa LOL: I think there will be like a "Pearl Harbor" movie-likeness to it... I think TESSA will fall for JEM and they will fall in love with each other...but WILL is the person she'll end up with..because the fact that Clare wrote JEM's character as sickly will either lead to his DEMISE or complete Transformation into something else... Hence, he is out of the picture and WILL comforts Tessa's aching heart and they end up together coz Jem's going to be all "take care of Tessa for me" in the end LOL BUTTTTT

That's just one way of looking at it..and that's just me! LOL

and yes..I do hope JEM and TESSA get togehter..so that I can have WILL ;))

+ Yes, read the whole mortal instruments series (over and over) recommended it to a lot of people too! :)

+ Does the LEVIATHAN count as a steampunk novel?

message 16: by Joyzi, loves the pedo bear (new)

yes Leviathan is steampunk, is that a good book?

message 17: by Joyzi, loves the pedo bear (new)

(TTT_TTT) Idk what to do if Jem dies

message 18: by Joyzi, loves the pedo bear (new)

Yeah I'm just praying he wont die in the end, that would be really sad and unfair

message 19: by Joyzi, loves the pedo bear (new)

Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction and speculative fiction that came into prominence in the 1980s and early 1990s. The term denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century, and often Victorian era England—but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, such as fictional technological inventions like those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or real technological developments like the computer occurring at an earlier date. Other examples of steampunk contain alternate history-style presentations of "the path not taken" of such technology as dirigibles, analog computers, or digital mechanical computers (such as Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine); these frequently are presented in an idealized light, or with a presumption of functionality.

I copied the definition from goodreads

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Joyzi (littlemissya) wrote: "Yeah I'm just praying he wont die in the end, that would be really sad and unfair"

same here. Jem can't die :(