Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > LizH's February reads

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments It is easier for me to keep a running numerical total while listing each monthly reading list. Hope y'all don't mind.
* denotes great reads!
11.Raining Cat Sitters and Dogs by Blaize Clement 2-2-11 (DTB)
12. Room by Emma Donoghue 2-5-10 (DTB)*
13. Blessings of the Animals by Katrina Kittle 2-9-11(Nook)
14. Truly, Madly by Heather Webber 2-13-11 (Nook)
15. Cat Sitter Among the Pigeonns by Blaize Clement 2-21-11 (DTB)
16. The Backup Plan by Sherryl Woods 2-23-11 (Nook)
17. Treachery in Death by J.D. Robb 2-26-11 (Kindle) *
18. Harvest Moon by Robyn Carr 2-28-11 (Kindle)

message 2: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments I like your numbering idea. Looks like a good month!

message 3: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Thanks, it helps me keep track better. It was a good month, lots of diversity...Treachery in Death was definately my favorite!

message 4: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments I am so far behind in the ...In Death series, though I've really enjoyed them. I have Vengeance in Death waiting for me on my kindle.

message 5: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments I think this series just keeps getting better and better. The mesh of characters and the way the relationships have jelled in this one was amazing. I encourage you to keep reading!

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1606 comments Uh-oh, no * for Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons. I keep checking my library to see if they have it yet...but they don't ;( I usually enjoy this series.

message 7: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Susie, it was good, a strong mystery, but I really like the interaction between her and Guidry and, well, ya just gotta read it...

message 8: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3598 comments I read CAT SITTER AMONG THE PIGEONS in February, too. Interested to see where this series might go now.

message 9: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Yup, kinda sad, thought she was building something nice.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14286 comments Liz: Good month, great count to date - of course we don't mind your doing it that way!
Good also to see you are enjoying both the Kindle and your Nook (I assume for library books?) and DTB's too! I am finding it harder to get into a dead tree book when I can read so many good books on the Kindle - I am really enjoying the experience of reading on it.

LizH wrote: "It is easier for me to keep a running numerical total while listing each monthly reading list. Hope y'all don't mind. * denotes great reads! "

message 11: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments >>Good also to see you are enjoying both the Kindle and your Nook (I assume for library books?) and DTB's too! <<

I am disappointed in the availability of library books for my Nook, and have yet to actually download a book to it. It seems that the books I would like to read are just not available thru the library yet, or it takes longer than expected to get them. I really have to do a lot of searching to find a book to put on the Nook, and it just seems like huge endeavor to accomplish this. It is so much easier just to buy it on Kindle.
I did have a good month, but am struggling so far this month...haven't finished one yet.

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14286 comments Liz: I have noticed as I use the library catalog search that I don't seem to see as many ebook copies of library books as I did before, unscientifically studied from my recent searches. I wonder if library funding has gotten in the way, since I think I recall reading that they would purchases so many e-copies and then when they were checked out, would need to purchase again. Perhaps Shomeret can enlighten us on that point.

LizH wrote: ">>I am disappointed in the availability of library books for my Nook, and have yet to actually download a book to it. It seems that the books I would like to read are just not available thru the library yet, or it takes longer than expected to get them. "

message 13: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1366 comments Re libraries and e-books--This is the situation as I understand it. Libraries are very concerned about lending restrictions being placed on their e-books. They already have problems with databases which they rent and don't control. If they can neither own nor control e-books, they may not be a wise investment for their users. These legal/ownership issues need to be settled before libraries will be willing to invest heavily in e-books.

message 14: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Thanks, that explains a lot, but doesn't ease the frustration level, LOL!

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14286 comments Thanks, Shomeret! I saw this article today
http://www.libraryjournal.com/lj/home...
Library Consortia Begin To Vote Against HarperCollins Ebook Checkout Policy
Some library consortia have decided to forgo the purchase of HarperCollins ebook titles effective today in the wake of the publisher's decision to set a license limit of 26 checkouts per title and also amid concerns about what may be next. In addition, an American Library Association task force is convening this week in Washington to begin addressing the question of equitable access to electronic content.

message 16: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 180 comments I didn't like the Cat Sitter book before this one. I'm wondering if I should bother reading thus one.

message 17: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments If you didn't like the one before this one, then move on, lol! This goes in an unforseen direction that doesn't bode well for future books,imho!

message 18: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3491 comments I haven't tried doing library books yet to the nook. but now that I'm been doing the ones I have to download to digital editions then sideload into the nook I might be giving them a try soon. but I'm expecting 2 books from one online friend and 3 from another. I'm just hoping they are the type I get to keep and not have to get read in 14 days or they return to the person. But the webber book and the stevens book are both from one of the people. I just need to get offline today or I'll never get any books read.