The Gateroom discussion

Stargate General Chat > Stargate Books?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth  (canadianbeth) | 28 comments I would say that they do go with the series. I just started #14 Death Game and have read all the previous ones except for #1 which is a novelization of the pilot. I enjoyed some more than others of course but that is to be expected. The previous one #13 Hunt and Run was very Ronan heavy and a very good story IMO.

I am also reading the SG-1 books.

Beth - ;)
in Calgary

message 2: by Anastasia (last edited Feb 28, 2011 10:13PM) (new)

Anastasia (tdallonsy) | 187 comments Mod
I recently 'discovered' SG Atlantis as part of my Stargate marathon. (am currently on season 3 of Atlantis, and season 10 of SG1; watching the show in order) I also have all the SG1 and SGA books, but haven't read them all quite yet, I've just started with Atlantis books actually, currently on #2 Reliquary. I couldn't read the books before I have seen at least some part of the show.

I think the books go hand in hand with the shows, and there's even a post season 5 series of books of Atlantis that is currently being released (Homecoming is the first one I believe, #15 in the series, or #16, can't remember now.) But you definitely should pick them up and give them a read, some are better than others, but overall enjoyable reads, and hey, its one more storyline you get to 'see' your favourite characters in.

BTW , each book has a separate thread in this group, so feel free to jump in and discuss there. :) There's not much there at the moment, but it can change.

Links:
Stargate SG1 : http://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_...

Stargate Atlantis : http://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_...

message 3: by Anastasia (new)

Cool. :) When you start reading them, feel free to post your thoughts in threads on here, It'd be good to discuss SG books!

I just received my copy of Stargate Atlantis #16 - Homecoming. Granted, I have about 14 more books to catch up on before i get to it, but apparently it's book 1 of a series titled 'Legacy'

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth  (canadianbeth) | 28 comments I have a few more as well before I can get to Homecoming and I also want to wait until I have all three before starting them. Book 2 was supposed to be released Feb 16th but now has been put back according to Chapters; this seems to happen a lot with the Stargate books. Right now I am reading #14 Death Game and have a few SG-1 books to read as well.

Beth - ;)
in Calgary

message 5: by Anastasia (new)

Books getting put back, delayed, switched around.... yeah i noticed it too. (that's how I ended up with 2 copies of 'The Powers Behind the Throne')

Stargate books only see the light of a publishing date about 3-4 times a year. I wish there was a bit of consistency in release dates. 1 book every 3 months for each SG1 and SGA would be nice. 1 every half a year seems...weird. it's too long a wait. is it any wonder not all the SG fans are aware that the books are even out there? I remember Star Trek novels, there was one out every month or something.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 16 comments *sigh* I need to start getting the books.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Wells (jenthulhu) | 2 comments I realize this list isn't very active. I was surprised that there isn't much discussion on these boards about the Legacy series, which I personally love.

I just thought I would stop by and mention that I wrote a novel-length Stargate fan fiction that is FREE for download on my website in epub format. I've been publishing it on fanfiction.net, serially, over time.

I'm an aspiring writer. I used the fan fiction to hone my craft and I'm now midway through writing my first wholly original novel.

So, here are a couple of links, just in case you are interested--

My website/blog:
http://bit.ly/PPFU6c

Fan fiction site:
http://bit.ly/PDnDrQ

Thanks! Let me know what you think!

Jen Wells

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Man, was I really, really upset when they pulled Stargate Universe due to technical reasons. Loved that dark, edgy theme, so I turned my frustration into series inspired novella. I got some relief :)