Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Barry's February

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2997 comments Agent X: Noah Boyd
Second book. I thought the first one was pretty good, with superior writing and a few quibbles on plotting. For book 2, also featuring the bricklayer, the writing gets better, and the plotting vastly improved. Another real winner. (A-)

Iron River: T. Jefferson Parker
I like Parker’s books. The leads are usually characters you can like, or at least identify with, and there are usually some deliciously quirky characters. Funny thing on both counts. Charlie Hood is a return hero, this is a series, but the world he encounters in Iron River is a much darker place than I have seen Parker take us before. His quirky character this time is not a bumbling criminal, but a battered old man in the hospital that takes the concept of mysterious to a new level. Don’t even ask me if the good guys won here, I expect to see all of these characters again. (B+)

The Girl Who Played With Fire: Stieg Larsson
If anything, better than the first book. I have decided that I would not want to be on Lisbeth Salendar’s bad side, but more likely is that I would have liked her. I have a soft spot for misanthropes. (A-)

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest: Stieg Larsson
A bit slow early in the book, when we are first getting to know the spies, but the information was crucial to understanding what went on later. Book 3 is the attempt to find the justice denied in the first 2 books, a few citizens against the power of the State. (A-)

Electric Barracuda: Tom Dorsey
Manic as ever, a few surprises, but sad to say his best plotting seems behind him at this point. Still, there are only so many Florida capers to go around, and this is one of the big ones. (B)

The White House Mess: Christopher Buckley
A book about inside the beltway from the consummate (and funny) beltway insider. If yo don;t know whether to laugh or cry, let me suggest laughing. (B)

Fatal Error: JA JAnce
Ali Reynolds book. This is the series that took Jance off my “must buy” list. She has improved her treatment of men (somewhat) in this series, but this is not her best writing. (B)

Hell’s Corner: David Baldacci
Back to the Camel Club, this time trying to figure out who had targeted the British PM, and maybe the president in an assassination attempt. Quite hard to put down. (B+)

The Crises: David Poyer
So realistic it hurt. This is a military thriller set in a very Somalia like country. The mission was to provide food and reconstruction aid to this famine ridden country, but complications arise when the American mission goes head to head with a fundamentalist Muslim uprising. (A-)

Killer Smile: Lisa Scottoline
Kind of a lawyerly caper, one I enjoy on occasion, but would not like a steady diet of. (B)

Falsely Accused: Robert Tannenbaum
The protagonists are free of their work in the DAs office,with Karp going into private practice and his wife teaming with a damaged cop as a woman;s protection advocate. Surprise! Their cases turn out to be linked. (B)

message 2: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments I already have The Bricklayer on my TBR list, but thanks for reminding me about Christopher Buckley. I enjoy his stuff and haven't yet read The White House Mess.

message 3: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3620 comments a good month, barry. i read hell's corner, too. i liked it, but not as much as i've like previous "Camel club" books.

message 4: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments Good month, Barry. I'm on the second Larsson, and I agree about staying on Salandar's good side.

message 5: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1116 comments Good month, Barry. I haven't read any of the Larsson books yet. I have them just can't seem to get interested.

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments I've got #2 & 3 of the Larsson books. Will get to them some time this year!

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Great month Barry! I agree with you on the Parker books, and I also enjoyed Iron River. I have The Border Lords lined up on audio and hope to get to it soon, continuing the compelling (and dark) Charlie Hood story.
Barry wrote: "Iron River: T. Jefferson Parker
I like Parker’s books. The leads are usually characters you can like, or at least identify with, and there are usually some deliciously quirky characters. Funny thing on both counts. Charlie Hood is a return hero, this is a series, but the world he encounters in Iron River is a much darker place than I have seen Parker take us before."

message 8: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2997 comments I picked up Border Lords today (40% + 10% off at Borders) and hope to get to it this week.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Barry - a good shopping bargain! I am going to be torn between The Border Lords and The Sentry as my next audio!
Barry wrote: "I picked up Border Lords today (40% + 10% off at Borders) and hope to get to it this week."