The Sword and Laser discussion

Shadow & Claw (The Book of the New Sun #1-2)
This topic is about Shadow & Claw
2011 Reads > S&C: Words, a love letter

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments Several have said Wolfe used all pre-existing words. Any that you've noticed or appreciated? I just saw malingering, which you don't hear often (I've seen it in the 70s musical Pippin). But I'm not far along, so about you?

message 2: by aldenoneil (last edited Feb 28, 2011 05:40PM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Jenny wrote: "Several have said Wolfe used all pre-existing words. Any that you've noticed or appreciated? I just saw malingering, which you don't hear often (I've seen it in the 70s musical Pippin). But I'm not..."

Just had to check in to say that the instant I saw "malingering" in your post, I started singing the lyric from Pippin. So I guess I've not seen it used elsewhere much, either.

message 3: by Jenny (Reading Envy) (last edited Feb 28, 2011 05:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments Haha, exactly! (The rest of you can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6hmGL...)... Bob Fosse choreographed this one. :)

terpkristin | 4186 comments Can't think of any words in particular, but I know I've come across a fair few that if I had it on my Kindle, I'd look up what the words meant.

message 5: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed (edwardjsabol) | 170 comments I like argent, argosy, archon, cuirass, eidolon, fuligin, monomachy, sylph....

Colin | 278 comments I like arquebus. Good woody sort of word.

message 7: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
I also like eidolon, fuligin, cacogen, anchorite, alzabo, atroxes and many others. I may have to get the audio book just to see how many of the more obscure ones are pronounced.

Larry (lomifeh) | 88 comments I liked the delectation and fuligin.