Gigi's Company discussion

Group Reads Discussions > March '11 BotM: The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Burket (kathleengigicompany) | 20125 comments Mod
Please post comments and discussion here for the March '11 Book of the Month:

The Iron Duke (Iron Seas, #1) by Meljean Brook The Iron Duke (Iron Seas, Book 1) by Meljean Brook

(Selected by Liz, Karen, Windy, Kristie, Kathleen)

message 2: by Kathleen (last edited Mar 10, 2011 05:37PM) (new)

Recently completed "Here There Be Monsters" by Meljean Brook from the
Burning Up (Includes The Iron Seas, Prequel; Children of the Sea, #3.5; Psy/Changeling #8.5) by Angela Knight Burning Up anthology by Angela Knight, Nalini Singh, Virginia Kantra, and of course Brook. This imaginative novella is the prequel to Brook's steampunk romance "Iron Seas" series. Steampunk combines Victorian era steam technology with alternative history and science fiction aspects. Brook has combined all of those elements with a romance story and it works! Great world building, engaging characters, and a believable alternative England launch Brook's new series. Hope to see more of Eben and Ivy in The Iron Duke (Iron Seas, Book 1). Five stars and starting The Iron Duke soon.

message 3: by Kristie (last edited Mar 10, 2011 06:54PM) (new)

Kristie | 166 comments So...I should read Burning Up first? Because I'm completely confused. lol I thought maybe it was me but if there's a prequel I'll read that first, I bet it will make more sense.

message 4: by Kathleen (last edited Mar 11, 2011 08:55AM) (new)

I just found out about the prequel. I don't know if I needed to read it first because I haven't started the first book. It may be a nice back story about two characters who play a secondary role in the first book. I do know that it was a great story and that I throughtly enjoyed it. The anthology in which it was contained was in my public library. So, I went ahead and read it. Love the main characters in this prequel and the unusual and detailed world that Brook has created for the Iron Seas series.

message 5: by Kathleen (last edited May 18, 2011 12:45PM) (new)

Throughly enjoyed this original and unique steampunk romantic fantasy novel. The Iron Duke is an unputdownable terrifying and marvelous alternative history. Pirates, zombies, gadgets and contraptions, societal norms that would be shocking today and unthinkable in our own 1800's. Marriage has virtually disappeared and most babies are raised in a creche, yet Meljean Brook has produced a sensitive romance story about a couple that manages to beat all the odds. Heroine Mina Wentworth is daring, but sensible. When ordered by hero Rhys Trahaearn to stay behind on an airship to provide cover for a small party attempting to board and liberate a seagoing vessel, Marco's Terror, Mina doesn't fling herself over the side with false bravado to just make a point. She stays and provides cover. Later when a sea creature threatens the sea vessel, she does fling herself overboard to save the lives of everyone on the Terror. Strong secondary characters including Yasmeen--Lady Corsair, Achimedes Fox, Lord Scarsdale, Superintendent Hale, Constable Newberry, even Tinker Anne is memorable. I am excitedly waiting for the next book in the Iron Seas series, Heart of Steel, Yasmeen and Fox's story. The Iron Duke is one of the best books that was published in 2010 and I would strongly recommend it for other paranormal romance or urban fantasy fans.

You do not have to the read the prequel first. This book stands on its own. However, the prequel is an exceptionally well-done short story and I would recommend it on its own merits.