Love Or Leave It: A Book Club for Authors, Readers & Giveaways discussion

Best YA Series Right Now?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by EZRead (new)

EZRead eBookstore | 58 comments Mod
I have been wanting to start a series since Amelia had so much luck with "Hush Hush". I did start "Shiver", but really hated the second one. Are there any series right now that any of you would fight to the death for?

-Jenifer

message 2: by Vinaya (new)

message 3: by EZRead (new)

Vinaya wrote: "Banished :)"

I just saw your review (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...)! LOL, now there is no way I can resist it with a clapping Jake Gyllenhaal!

As long as it lives up to some other YA I like (Hunger Games, cough cough) it will be worth it.

message 4: by Vinaya (new)

Vinaya (vinayanatarajan) | 3 comments I think it is in a completely different league from Hunger Games, to be honest. It's like comparing American Beauty to Taxi Driver. They're both amazing, but one is all about subtext, the other is out there in your face. I was actually also going to post Sophie Littlefield on the other thread, about authors who ought to be better known, but her latest, Aftertime is getting rave reviews all over the place, so I'm guessing she wouldn't qualify now!

Jason "Book Sniper" (booksniper) | 3 comments Sheesh .. now im going to read banished. I'll have to check out your reviews. But I really like the hunger games trilogy.

message 6: by EZRead (new)

Jason wrote: "Sheesh .. now im going to read banished. I'll have to check out your reviews. But I really like the hunger games trilogy."

If you haven't read any of Vinaya's reviews, I highly recommend it; they all make me laugh. Homegirl is PROLIFIC!

Jason "Book Sniper" (booksniper) | 3 comments I C ! Ill be following from now on :)

message 8: by Vinaya (new)

Vinaya (vinayanatarajan) | 3 comments Thanks you guys!

By the way, I don't know how it slipped my mind, but if you haven't read Nevermore, you absolutely MUST! I think it's one of the most beautifully written YA paranormals out there, and it's got Poe! What more do you need, right? I haven't reviewed it, but it has pages and pages of 4-and-5 star reviews which it totally deserves! Sorry to add to your TBR pile, Jenifer, but you MUST read it! :)

message 9: by EZRead (new)

CRAAASSSSHHHHHHHH. That is the sound of my TBR pile metaphorically falling on me and crushing me to death.

And yet, I still am adding Nevermore! :)

message 10: by Chris (last edited Mar 01, 2011 11:16AM) (new)

Chris I hadn't read any YA books well since I was a YA :). But my 14 yr old niece kept telling me about the 'Hunger Games Trilogy' and how I had to read it. So I did and I absolutely loved it. I can't wait to see how it plays out on the big screen in a couple years.

Now I'm reading 'The Maze Runner Trilogy'. And I put the 'Percy Jackson' series, which my niece also loved, on my 'to read' list.

Anyone have any other suggestions? (Note: I'm not into vampires)

message 11: by Amelia (new)

Amelia M.A. | 3 comments I love the Maze Runner trilogy! Well, they are also torturous, but I can't stop reading them. And, I cannot wait for the latest book to come out.

Currently, I am hooked on three series: Maze Runner, Hush Hush, and Fallen.

I hate that I have to wait for all of their final books this year. Errgh! :)

message 12: by Tally (new)

Tally Song (Tallygirl) | 1 comments UGH! Another series, I am sick of series already. trilogies are still okay with me, but I think as an avid reader starting a new series is challenging because you have to keep up with the new releases for all the series that you are into.

One of the best trilogies I have read is the Gemma Doyle ( i think that is her last name) series the first book is A Great and Terrible Beauty. It has a complex plot and story twists, some romance, and a challenging vocab for young adults.

However, The Mediator series by Meg Cabot is fun light-hearted reading and only has about 7 or 8 books total. I really enjoyed these books. And of course I have to give a shout-out to the Narnia books, favs of mine since the fourth grade.

message 13: by EZRead (new)

Tally wrote: "UGH! Another series, I am sick of series already. trilogies are still okay with me, but I think as an avid reader starting a new series is challenging because you have to keep up with the new relea..."

I have to agree, I get frustrated with "endless" sequels unless there has been a really strictly planned set. (Like Harry Potter, etc.)

The Meg Cabot one sounds good actually, I'll have to check it out. I've always been a fan of hers, but then I became a SUPER FAN when I got to meet her in LA for the Festival of Books. She was so energetic and sweet, and signed away in the billion degree heat.

Good suggestions, Tally!

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy (aaammmyyy) Oh I agree with the Gemma Doyle vote! Brilliant plot, diverse characters, requite romance--but done exceedingly well!--twists, turns, and some truly spine tingling moments. I do think that your mileage might vary on this one though; most people either love it or hate it with all their hearts.

I'd like to add The Skinjacker Trilogy by Neal Shusterman, which has a brilliant premise, awesome characters, amazing twists and turns woven into the plots, and the craziest heart-pounding adventures :-)

message 15: by Amelia (new)

Amelia M.A. | 3 comments I would love to start a new series, but I'm afraid I have too many going already :(

message 16: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 4 comments One of my favorite series is Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy Series by, L.A. Meyer its really fun!