The Expanded Universe discussion

Books, Authors, and Series > Favorite Star Wars Novel?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Van Ness | 41 comments I just realized that, though there were novel discussions in this group, there was not really a place to say what your favorite of them was. So, I made this thread :). My favorite, I have to say, was Episode III by Matthew Stover. I consider it one of the best star wars masterpieces ever unveiled to the market of eager star wars book devourers. What was your favorite book that you have read? (You being used loosley to describe the person who happens to be reading this thread at the moment.)

message 2: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (northerntomorrows) I'd say my favourite is a toss-up between Matthew Stover's Traitor and Karen Traviss' Hard Contact. They have virtually nothing in common with each other, but I found that both worked really well both as sci-fi and as literature.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I recall really liking Episode III by Matthew Stover, but I read it a while ago, so by now I can't remember in what ways it differs from the movie. I'm thinking, so far, my favorite is Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader.

message 4: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Van Ness | 41 comments Really? I have not read Dark Lord yet, but its been on my list for a while. Worth the read, I gather?

message 5: by William (new)

William (darthindurate) | 8 comments I really liked Stover's Revenge of the Sith too. It added so much depth to the characters and, in particular, to Anakin's reasons for betraying the Jedi. Besides the novelization of that movie, my two favorites would have to be "Darth Bane: Path of Destruction" by Drew Karpyshyn and Sean Stewart's "Yoda: Dark Rendezvous" which is set during the Clone Wars.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Dark Lord is set right after the events of Revenge of the Sith, and Vader is adjusting to the fact that he has to wear the suit for the rest of his life. I liked how the book showed his struggle with everything that had just happened to him, and how Palpatine had to deal with a depressed, irritable young Vader.

message 7: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (northerntomorrows) William wrote: "I really liked Stover's Revenge of the Sith too. It added so much depth to the characters

I think that's one of the issues a lot of people (rightfully) had with the prequel films - there was a lot of characterization and world-building stuff that was left to the cartoons/books to explain, rather than actually being in the movies themselves.

message 8: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (northerntomorrows) The Zahn trilogy are what brought me back to Star Wars - at the time of their release it had been years since I'd watched or even thought about SW, but once Heir came out I was drawn back in and have never looked back.

message 9: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Van Ness | 41 comments The Zahn trilogy was the second trilogy that I read in the universe, so I forget most of it, but I remember hating the ending because I loved thrawn so much...

message 10: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Van Ness | 41 comments Aw... I feel bad for you. I've been collecting for quite a while, and I am only missing eight novels of the adult series. 6 of which are X-Wing, and the other two are tales from the new republic and the galaxies novel, but of which are no longer selling in borders and barns and noble.

message 11: by Jeff Diamond, Grand Moff (last edited Mar 08, 2011 04:44PM) (new)

Jeff Diamond | 178 comments Mod
It's almost like choosing between children. I have to agree that Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith is among the best Star Wars books ever written. Not only because of the amount of depth it adds to the characters, but also due to the fact that it doesn't get so bogged down in doing that that you start to lose track of what's going on. That's the one that stands out the most in my mind, and I guess Path of Destruction. Those two seem to jump out at me.

message 12: by *Kashi* (new)

*Kashi* | 12 comments For me it's the Thrawn Trilogy. and I will read "Revenge of the Sith" and "Path of Destruction" has been on my mine for a time now. Thanks!

message 13: by Chief (new)

Chief | 5 comments Shatterpoint is really, really good. I really like the Bane books. If I had to pick one book to take on a desert island, id have to find a Thrawn Trilogy omnibus of some sort. It began all this EU stuff, and it kept SW relevant.

message 14: by Kyle (new)

Kyle (emperor799) | 80 comments Brett wrote: "It began all this EU stuff, and it kept SW relevant. "

Actually, Splinter of the Mind's Eye was the first novel to tell a new story and was followed by The Adventures of Lando Calrissian & The Han Solo Adventures in the 80s. Additionally, there were several lines of Marvel comics and multiple comic strips back in the 70s and 80s that told new tales in the Star Wars universe.

message 15: by Chief (new)

Chief | 5 comments @Kyle none of which were even connected into the modern EU untill Del Rey took back over (with the nominal exception of the A.C. Crispin Han Solo Trilogy) The Thrawn trilogy was the first legitimate (officially Lucas endorsed) foray into the EU. Its challenging to even fit any of the works you mentioned into the current continuity.

Point being I know there were non-movie/G Canon works previous to the Thrawn trilogy, but without that trilogy's success, the EU most likely wouldn't be what it is today.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Just read that James Luceno's Darth Plagueis novel will be out in early 2012. Definitely a character that needs to be written about. I'll be really looking forward to it.

message 17: by *Kashi* (new)

*Kashi* | 12 comments Definitely for my To-Read list. Thanks Kate! Hope they get it Right and interesting.

message 18: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Van Ness | 41 comments Yeah, by Luceno, so it should be good.

message 19: by Isis (new)

Isis (flowerhead) | 8 comments It's a toss up for me between Traitor by Matt Stover or Star by Star by Troy Dennning. LOVED both and have read them a million times! Unfortunetly you have to really read all of the New Jedi Order for them to really have any meaning to you but they are really intence and gut wrenching.

message 20: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Van Ness | 41 comments Very true. I have only read Star by Star once, but I think that the beginning of book, the scene that introduces Alema Rar, was one of the worst. Traitor I have read twice, I love Matthew Stover's work.

message 21: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (toolshed181st) | 6 comments My favourites are the Wraith Squadron series - Wraith Squadron, Iron Fist and Solo Command. I was constantly laughing out loud while reading these.

message 22: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1 comments My favourite one would have to be Allegiance by Timothy Zahn. This book is unlike any other star wars novel i have ever read (and I have read upward of 60). The fact that we get to see some stormtroopers with moral values is really cool. Ill not say any more in case someone wants to read it, I don't want to spoil it.

message 23: by William (new)

William (darthindurate) | 8 comments Andrew wrote: "My favourite one would have to be Allegiance by Timothy Zahn. This book is unlike any other star wars novel i have ever read (and I have read upward of 60). The fact that we get to see some stormtr..."

Yes, I agree that Allegiancewas a good book. I guess I forgot that one because it doesn't focus on any of the regular Star Wars cast; the Skywalkers, Solos, or Antilles. Good call.

message 24: by William (last edited Mar 31, 2011 11:34AM) (new)

William Nelsen (robotwillie) | 49 comments Hmmm. This is obviously one tough call. But if had to pick just ONE it would be Outbound Flight.

Of course though I have read a considerable amount since then including the NJO series.... Maybe I will reassess my absolute fav. But if you would have asked me this 2 years ago that would have been my doubtless answer.

message 25: by Jay (new)

Jay (seuche77) I, Jedi is probably my favorite but its hard to pick just one book out of such a huge series. The Wraith Squadron series and the Republic Commando series would probably be fighting for second and third favorites.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I recently read Traitor and I'd say it's in my to three favorite Star Wars books now. I found it to be very well written.

message 27: by Sonny (new)

Sonny (ayesonnai) | 33 comments Karpyshn's Darth Bane has to be my favorite. Holds a special place for me since it's the first book I read from the expanded universe. I was a little apprehensive about jumping into other eras because I wasn't as familiar with what was going, the new characters and what not. Bane was right at the beginning so I decided to check it out. It was amazing!

message 28: by Jim (new)

Jim | 100 comments I have several favorites. The Thrawn trilogy is easily my favorite Star Wars books. I like Zahn's writing and the characters he introduced. I enjoyed the New Jedi Order series as well. The rogue squadron X-wing novels are fun too because the main movie characters take a backseat and Wedge, Hobbie, and Jansen get the main roles which is cool.

I didn't care for the Dark Nest trilogy. It was really confusing, maybe less so if you wait till they are all published and then read them at once.

Additionally, while the Lando and Han Solo Adventures (not to be confused with the Han Solo trilogy by AC Crispin) were not originally part of the star wars canon, they've been adapted belatedly into the canon. Even Revenge of the Sith references the Corporate Sector from the Han Solo stories. Splinter of a mind's eye and the Jedi prince children's books remain separate since they directly conflict with official star wars material (Luke and Vader's first meeting taking place before cloud city and the emperor having a son and Han/Leia getting married prior to Dathomir).

message 29: by Tim (new)

Tim Schultz | 18 comments Although this is a hard question to answer, I would have to say that my all time favorite Star Wars book was Traitor. But I've read and enjoyed so many books and authors over the years that it is a very close thing indeed.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Shatterpoint was fun!

message 31: by *Kashi* (new)

*Kashi* | 12 comments "Thrawn Trilogy"

message 32: by Becky, Admiral (new)

Becky | 6 comments Mod
I loved Labrinth of Evil, Revenge of the Sith, and rise of Darth Vader. I felt that the three together give you great insight into how our good guy becomes very, very bad.

ᑕᗢᗝᒪḰᓮᖙᖇᗢჯ123 ☆*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*☆ Cool (coolkidrox123) i have only read the movie-to-book books 1 and i am in the midlle of 2

message 34: by John (new)

John | 3 comments I loved Dark Rendezvous, but I might be biased because I'm a Yoda nut. It's the only one I've found that really focuses on him, and it has the added bonus of featuring another of my favorite characters, Count Dooku.

message 35: by William (new)

William Nelsen (robotwillie) | 49 comments ^ I just finished that one within the last few weeks for the first time. I also really liked it. I think I gave it 4 stars.

*spoiler if you have not read it*

I love how it shows his humorous side even if its not intentional on his part, like when he has to hide in the droid costume, and his incidents and other peoples reactions to his food eating habits.

message 36: by Steven (new)

Steven Bakewell I'd have to say that the Darth Bane: Path of Destruction and also the rest in that trilogy were very good reads. I also liked the Thrawn trilogy and choices of one by Timothy Zahn:)

message 37: by Sonny (new)

Sonny (ayesonnai) | 33 comments I agree with the above 100% both series got me back into reading star wars!