TV We've Just Watched discussion

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (new)

Angie Did anyone watch the pilot this week? I thought it looks promising! I have always loved the story of Camelot, and clearly this show is MUCH different then the UK show Merlin.

message 2: by Jackie (last edited Mar 03, 2011 04:48PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments No, I'm waiting til it's airing regular weekly episodes. I'd go mental waiting a month for the next episode.
This looks so good, I can hardly wait til it airs on April 1st. Here's where you can watch the first episode online: http://www.starz.com/Originals/Camelo...

I hated Merlin, there's just so much wrong with it. Merlin and Arthur were not the same age. Merlin was Uther's wizard and even helped in Arthur's conception. And the casting was awful. The girl they chose for Guinevere was ridiculous. I watched 5 episodes and had no choice but to dump it. I suppose it could be good if the viewer knows nothing about the Arthurian legend but as a person who's read the legends extensively, I just couldn't do it without getting pissed off.

I have greater expectations for Camelot.

message 3: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (kheckart) | 456 comments Thanks for posting this link for Camelot, Jackie.

You know, a lot of people hate Merlin because it veers way off the legend. But I like it. I hated it at first, but now I'm just enjoying it for the entertainment. If I blank out the fact that they are doing it differently, I can handle it okay.

message 4: by Jackie (last edited Mar 03, 2011 09:36PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments If I had more time I probably would have watched it, but I have a ton of series on my DVR queue and have to be harsh in my assessment. I just don't have the time to watch everything. Wish I did.

message 5: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 365 comments i was really disappointed by the first episode. just really, really, really disappointed. i loved Starz' Spartacus & Pillars of the Earth series so i had high hopes for their 3rd costume drama. ah well. i am also not a fan of The Tudors, and Camelot reminded me a lot of that show. so folks who love Tudors may love Camelot as well.

but i will say this: despite my continual aggravation during the show and despite the fact that i probably won't watch another episode...Eva Green was AWESOME!

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I liked Spartacus, Pillars of the Earth and The Tudors so I think I'll like it. I'm waiting for the show to air regularly to watch it.

message 7: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 365 comments i'm very sad that the original Spartacus can't come back in the next series. a sad thing indeed, poor guy.

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I watched Season 2 and it wasn't nearly as good as season 1.

message 9: by Angie (new)

Angie Jackie wrote: "No, I'm waiting til it's airing regular weekly episodes. I'd go mental waiting a month for the next episode.
This looks so good, I can hardly wait til it airs on April 1st. Here's where you can ..."

I know what you are saying about Merlin. But actually it is quite a fun show. It reminds me of Smallville.

message 10: by Angie (new)

Angie mark wrote: "i'm very sad that the original Spartacus can't come back in the next series. a sad thing indeed, poor guy."

I love love Spartacus. That man is WAY too young to die. But I don't think he is getting any better.

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Spartacus is WAY too gorgeous to die. I hope he's going to be OK. The dude who plays Dexter had the same kind of cancer last year and he's fine now. I hope it's the same for the Spartacus dude.

Love Smallville! Tom Welling, yum.
I didn't watch it right away, I didn't think it would last, LOL And here we are 10 years later. I heard the dude who played Lex is coming back for the series finale. I hope he does. I have a love-hate thing for Lex.

message 12: by Jackie (last edited Apr 09, 2011 11:09AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Mark wrote: Eva Green was AWESOME!

Yes she was. She interests me most and is why I'll keep watching, the next couple of episodes anyway. James Purefoy as Lot was really good also. I wish they kept him around longer.
I'm not fond of the choice of actor for Arthur, a skinny pretty boy. Arthur was known as The Bear, even in his youth. I find it difficult to reconcile this skinny pretty boy as Arthur.
I like Joseph Fiennes but am underwhelmed by his strange Merlin.
I hoped it would have been a better premiere and was excited for the next episode. I'll give it a chance and see what happens.

message 13: by Jackie (last edited Apr 09, 2011 11:12AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Episode three. I'm not quite sure if I like or dislike the changes to the traditional Arthurian characters. I know Arthur's story has been retold numerous times and each author feels the need to change things with the characters to make it their own. Otherwise they'd be all be telling the same story. Where I usually don't mind in books, as long as it's not too far off the mark, I generally dislike in movie or TV format.

message 14: by Ειρήνη (new)

Ειρήνη Jackie wrote: "I'm not fond of the choice of actor for Arthur, a skinny pretty boy.

I like Joseph Fiennes but am underwhelmed by his strange Merlin."

I agree 100%!
I have only watched the first two episodes. I'm not sure I'll keep watching.

message 15: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I will, just to see how it turns out. It's not completely bad so I can bear with it for a while.

message 16: by Ειρήνη (new)

Ειρήνη Well, I have never been the biggest fan of Arthur, Merlin and the story of Camelot. Maybe that's the problem, LOL.

message 17: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I guess that's a good reason, lol
I was always a fan of the Arthurian Saga. Which is probably why I'm willing to give it a chance.

message 18: by Angie (new)

Angie I love the story of Camelot. I do think this series is a little slow. I wonder what they are going to do with the Merlin character. Will he be evil? In most stories he tried to save Camelot and in the end isn't able to.

message 19: by Kellyflower (new)

Kellyflower | 133 comments I've started watching Starz's Camelot
Here's what I have to say about it:
please don't call me a freak but..Joseph Fiennes looks good. I don't know if it's his almost bald head or the looks he gives everyone, but I found myself feeling sad that he probably doesn't have any sex scenes in this movie/series.
Eva Green is hot
Peter Mooney is a cutie
and I definitely need to see more of Philip Winchester.
Who in the world would want to sleep with this "Arthur"/Jamie Campbell Bower when you've got "Leontes"/Philip Winchester.
I'm strictly watching it for the eye candy.

message 20: by Jackie (last edited Apr 12, 2011 07:02AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I'm of the opinion that Joseph Fiennes always looks good. That is one sexy man.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I've seen the first ep, and I liked how it sets up the series. I'm not that familiar with the whole Arthur/Camelot legend, so I'm looking at it kind of as an intro to all that. A few reviews I've seen have mentioned that it's based on Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur: King Arthur and the Legends of the Round Table, which I've wanted to read eventually.

message 22: by Angie (new)

Angie Moved this topic since it is not a new show anymore... and that way there aren't two topics! :)

message 23: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I'm having a hard time with this boy they cast as Arthur. He just annoys me, I can't get past how wrong he is for the role. Why couldn't they give the role to Clive Standen, the dude who plays Gawain? Now that's my vision of Arthur. Ugh, blind casting directors...the bane of my life.

Morgan was excellent, as always. Merlin too. The two of them carry this show.
I despise the old nun, I knew she was evil. I think Morgan made a mistake in sparing her, she's trouble.
I don't like Guenivere either. But she's never been a character I liked or had any sympathy for, just because the men are reversed doesn't change anything for me.

message 24: by Mark (new)

Mark Burns (TheFailedPhilosopher) | 41 comments I saw two eps of it last night and must admit that it looks quite promising... and you've gotta love the irish scenery...

message 25: by Jackie (last edited May 14, 2011 08:54AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Ireland's lush scenery is the reason I will watch anything filmed there.

message 26: by Mark (new)

Mark Burns (TheFailedPhilosopher) | 41 comments It's the one reason I still live here... it has nothing else going for it at the moment.

message 27: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I'd love to visit Ireland someday. The US has nothing going for it either. At least you live with beauty.

message 28: by Mark (new)

Mark Burns (TheFailedPhilosopher) | 41 comments If you want to live with beauty create it or marry it, anything else won't last half as long... besides I live in Dublin... not all that green around here anymore...

message 29: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Creating beauty I agree with. Not marrying it, that fades too.
But you can get to the greenery, right? It's green where I live but it's different, conifer trees, a very dark green. Smells nice, though.

message 30: by Holli (new)

Holli Starz Shelves Camelot, Citing 'Significant Production Challenges'

Matt Webb Mitovich
When all is said and done, there’ll only be a little Camelot. Starz has opted not to move forward with production on the series, which aired its first season finale earlier this month.
“Due to significant production challenges, Starz has decided not to exercise the option for subsequent seasons of Camelot with our production partners GK-tv, Octagon Films and Take 5 Productions,” the cabler explains in a statement cited by The Hollywood Reporter.

Our sister site Deadline elaborates that among the challenges for the Ireland-based production were scheduling conflicts with some members of the cast, which was fronted by Joseph Feinnes, Jamie Campbell Bower and Eva Green

Camelot premiered in April to 1.13 million viewers and a 0.5 demo rating, making it Starz’s most-watched and highest-rated original series debut ever. That demo rating also bested Syfy’s Merlin that night, as the two similar-ish series faced off for the first time.

Come finale time, Camelot was pulling just north of a million viewers and a 0.4 rating.

Starz is premiering Torchwood: Miracle Day, a continuation of the BBC series, on July 8.

message 31: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Camelot wasn't outstanding and I will not mourn it's loss.
Torchwood, on the other hand, is an outstanding show, I can't wait for the premiere next week. I'm doing a Torchwood marathon all this week in anticipation of it.

message 32: by Jackie (last edited Jul 02, 2011 05:35AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Michaela wrote: I wanted to see more of Merlin (Joseph Fiennes) and Gawain (Clive Standen).

Those two, as well as Eva Green, were the best part of Camelot. What I wouldn't give to see Clive Standen in the Arthur role! I think it would have made all the difference. I'm sure we'll see all three of these excellent actors in other things soon.

And: I never had a problem with Jamie Campbell Bower as Arthur

You're probably the only person who didn't mind. Everyone I know, myself included, couldn't stand him as Arthur. Oddly enough, I like the actor, just not in this.

While I won't mourn the loss of Camelot, if it got another season, I would watch it.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

What am I going to do without a weekly fix of gorgeous Joseph Fiennes? And Clive Standen. And Philip Winchester.

I loved the show. I had no problem whatsoever with Jamie Campbell Bower as Arthur and can't imagine why anyone would. A lot of complaints seem to be that he's not the stereotype of Arthur. How is that a bad thing? It's good for a show to change things up.

Personally I think everything about Camelot is better than the other show, Merlin. And I like Merlin, but Camelot had...well, Joseph Fiennes.

message 34: by Jackie (last edited Jul 03, 2011 07:44AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Shauna wrote: I had no problem whatsoever with Jamie Campbell Bower as Arthur and can't imagine why anyone would. A lot of complaints seem to be that he's not the stereotype of Arthur. How is that a bad thing?

It's not necessarily that he wasn't the 'stereotypical' Arthur but everything about him was wrong. Looks, body type, character; this is not a man, err, boy, that men would unite under one banner for and follow into battle. Rather, they'd kick his ass. His arms are so skinny, he'd never be able to weild a sword. He didn't have a charismatic or commanding presence. Why would they listen to anything he had to say.
And I'm really disappointed that he was the adulterer in this series. So not only does he have a weak character but he has no honor and was quick to stab a friend in the back. That's how it's a bad thing. I've read many variations on the Arthur legend since I was a little kid, but none have made him such a selfish asshole. And without honor, Arthur is nothing. Would his legend be what it is if he was cast the way Camelot made him. No...heroes' legends live on, not weak selfish stupid little boys.

I watched about 3 or 4 episodes of Merlin before I couldn't take anymore. Camelot was without a doubt far superior; it had many flaws but I think given the chance it could have lived up to it's potential. I believe they planned on building Arthur's character right before our eyes, or so I hoped. Now we'll never know.

I've looked to see if JF and CS are going to be in upcoming shows, but so far nothing. Dammit.

message 35: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments Can't say I'm going to miss it. I watched a few episodes and didn't like Arthur at all. I liked Merlin and Morgan much more than any of the others, but not enough to make me go back week after week. And Jackie, I'm with you about Torchwood. Can't wait for Captain Jack and Gwen to save the world yet again!

message 36: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Myra, Two More Days! ! !
I'm curious as to how they're going to explain Jack's, erm, special condition.

message 37: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments I need to set my DVR before I forget!

message 38: by Angie (new)

Angie Why is this under canceled? Is there no season 2?

message 39: by Holli (new)

Holli Starz cancels 'Camelot'
by James Hibberd
Categories: Camelot
Comments 165 Add comment.Starz has cancelled its Arthurian fantasy Camelot after one season.

Camelot received middling reviews from critics and had somewhat ho-hum ratings, averaging less than a million viewers per episode. The lavish series also had trouble generating much buzz after it launched alongside HBO’s breakout fantasy Game of Thrones and Showtime’s better-reviewed historical drama The Borgias. Starz’ genre fans can at least look forward to the upcoming Torchwood and the return of Spartacus next year.

message 40: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Camelot was much better the that snorefest The Borgias. You never know how any given show will be received.
1 mil viewers is pathetically low.

message 41: by Angie (last edited Jul 19, 2011 03:27PM) (new)

Angie OH dang. I didn't actually watch it because I don't have stars. I was watching it on MegaVideo so I only saw a few episodes. I was waiting for it to come out on DVD. I will probably still watch it but I had high hopes for the show!

message 42: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments I didn't like the actor playing Arthur and felt that it was too different from the Arthurian legends I have seen in the past. Joe Fiennes was the only thing it had going for it. I'm hoping he'll find a better vehicle for his talents soon.