The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 25.5. Gayla's Task: March Madness

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Feb 28, 2011 05:35PM) (new)

Sandy | 15906 comments Mod
25.5. Gayla's Task: March Madness

Every March my mother spends hours watching the NCAA basketball tournament. I, on the other hand, spend hours following the Morning News Tournament of Books. This task celebrates both forms of March Madness. You have three options:

A. If you're like my mom and you can't get enough of college basketball, read two books about basketball. The books can be either fiction or non-fiction. This Goodreads list will get you started: Tales From the Hardwood

OR

B. If you're like me and you become obsessed with the Tournament of Books every year(or, if you didn't know about the Tournament before, but would like to become obsessed by it!), read two books that have been part of the tournament's brackets since it started in 2005. You can read two books from the same year or books from two different years. Here's a link to the lists for each year for the Tournament of Books: Tournament of Books lists

OR

C. If you follow or would like to follow both tournaments, or you don't follow either, then read one book about basketball and one book from the Tournament of Books.

For options B and C, please indicate on which year's list your book appeared.

message 3: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) reserved

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15906 comments Mod
reserved.

message 5: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments want to read On the Devil's Court for a book about basketball and

from the list The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

are these oka

message 6: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) Jenn Renee wrote: "want to read On the Devil's Court for a book about basketball and

from the list The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

are these oka"

Those are fine!

message 7: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments I'm intrigued by the Tournament of Books. Is there a website that actually shows brackets like the NCAA tournament ones? It sounds like fun. March Madness is the only time all year I watch basketball. Neat task Gayla.

message 8: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) The main page for this year's tournament is here. The right column shows the brackets for the 2011 tournament, and if you scroll down you will see links for each of the previous years in the right column as well.

message 9: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3930 comments Gayla wrote: "The main page for this year's tournament is here. The right column shows the brackets for the 2011 tournament, and if you scroll down you will see links for each of the previous years in the right ..."

OOh! This looks exciting!

message 10: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Gayla wrote: "The main page for this year's tournament is here. The right column shows the brackets for the 2011 tournament, and if you scroll down you will see links for each of the previous years in the right ..."

I never knew about this. Thanks.

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7595 comments ohhh, like this! i've heard about the tournament before but never really participated

message 12: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1695 comments Oh, my gosh! This looks like a lot of fun! Now, how do I fit all of the books I haven't read yet into the challenge? Thanks, Gayla---I didn't know about this and I love finding new ways to obsess over books ;)

message 13: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Hi Gayla-

Would it be acceptable for A. to read a romance novel with the main character being a basketball player? I just wanted to make sure it doesn't have to be a book more about the game itself, and can be about a player's life on and off the court. Thinking of using After Dark - thanks!

message 14: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) Fran wrote: "Hi Gayla-

Would it be acceptable for A. to read a romance novel with the main character being a basketball player? I just wanted to make sure it doesn't have to be a book more about the game its..."

After Dark seems fine.

message 15: by Christina (new)

Christina (stinalynne04) I was thinking about reading Basketball (Or Something Like It) I was wondering if this book would be considered a young reader book?

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7595 comments i found too many damn books for this task!!! lol!!! we totally need a task on fit this book to another task...

message 17: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) Christina wrote: "I was thinking about reading Basketball (Or Something Like It) I was wondering if this book would be considered a young reader book?"

I checked with the moderators, and this book looks like it would not be a young reader book.

message 18: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (meaganmarble) | 316 comments I'm going to read To Hate Like This Is to Be Happy Forever for one of the books for Option A. It's about the UNC-Duke Basketball Rivalry. I'm going to read it while wearing my "Beat Duke" t-shirt and using with "Beat Duke" koozie.
Go Heels :)

message 19: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I had never heard of the Tournament of Books before but it sounds really interesting and like something I would follow...so I think I will read Freedom and Room is that ok?

message 20: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) Freedom and Room are both in the 2011 brackets, so they are fine.

message 21: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 890 comments I'd like to read Blind Your Ponies about a high school basketball team. Is this approved?

message 22: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) I'm sorry, Tammy, I just saw this! Yes, that is approved.