comparative religion discussion

different religions

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I've always wondered about other religions. I don't know much about any other religion. I'm LDS. I would explain a little about it now, but I don't have much time. What's your religion? can you explain it?

message 2: by Emillia (new)

Emillia | 3 comments Alex wrote: "I've always wondered about other religions. I don't know much about any other religion. I'm LDS. I would explain a little about it now, but I don't have much time. What's your religion? can you exp..."

Hi Alex, may i know, what do you mean LDS?

message 3: by Hammad (new)

Hammad (hammadhammad) | 4 comments to Alex: i'm a muslim living in malaysia. basically, being a muslim is about submission towards one and only god,Allah.that's why we muslim turn our head to Mecca to pray 5 times a day.
to Emillia: LDS is Latter Day Saint, it is one of the branch of Christianity

message 4: by Judy (new)

Judy Croome (judycroome) Emillia, The Church of the Latter Day Saints members are more commonly known as Mormons. Their founder was Joseph Smith, in 1830 he had a mystical experience. Their religious texts include the Bible (both Old and New Testaments), the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. You may have heard of the singers Donny Osmond and Marie Osmond, they are staunch Mormons. My husband's aunt is also a Mormon and has a strong faith in her church; all 3 of my husband's cousin did their year's missionary duty.

Both my husband and I were brought up Christian (my husband is Methodist, I am Church of England) and we have a strong interest in comparative religion.

message 5: by Emillia (new)

Emillia | 3 comments Judy wrote: "Emillia, The Church of the Latter Day Saints members are more commonly known as Mormons. Their founder was Joseph Smith, in 1830 he had a mystical experience. Their religious texts include the Bibl..."

Judy, thank you very much on your explanation. all this time, i never knew that Latter Day Saints also called as Mormons. I hope you could suggest basic book on Mormons.
Hope i could learn more about denominations in Christianity.

message 6: by Judy (new)

Judy Croome (judycroome) Emillia, The Book of Mormon may be a good place to start - I know the Mormon missionaries give them out free or try this link http://mormon.org/free-book-of-mormon/

For a good look at different religions look up any Houston Smith books as a start.
Enjoy! :)
Judy

Judy Croome,
South Africa

message 7: by Kandy (new)

Kandy Crenshaw (kanzedac) I was raised in a home and community that assumes Christianity for all. In my teen years while seeking to connect with God, I began a true study of that religion and found it lacking for me personally. Over the years I have studied many religions and faith traditions to understand how others connect with the creator.

What book do you feel best capsulizes your own religion?

message 8: by Judy (new)

Judy Croome (judycroome) Kanzeda, you've asked an interesting question - it'll be interesting to see what books come up in the replies.

I was brought up Church of England (Anglican here, or Episcopalian, in the USA)

Judy Croome, South Africa

message 9: by Hammad (new)

Hammad (hammadhammad) | 4 comments hello guys, how are you..

Kanzeda, for me, i loved to read and re-read Deedat's book(link below), its about Deedat's debate with a Christian evangelist, its a very interesting read, i'm not saying who's wrong and who's right, i just want to learn the truth. personally, i want to know about the Christians and the Jews.

Judy Croome, i figured you're a Mormon from the thread. i watched the documentary by Bill Maher "Religulous"(link below), there are parts in the movie that discuss about Mormonism that i find fascinating. i just want to ask that is the Mormons in South Africa practice/believe in the same perspectives as the Mormons in other parts of the world(eg:America)?

For Dedat's book http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/53...
For the documentary "Religulous" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0815241/

message 10: by Judy (new)

Judy Croome (judycroome) Hi Hammad, the book you recommended to Kanzeda sounds like something I'll buy for Husband!

I'm not a Mormon (I was brought up Anglican, but am now more of a gnostic - a seeker of truth who believes in a "Supreme Being", but also believes that the real truth of the Supreme Being will never be known to man). However, my Husband's aunt and cousins are Mormons, so I've learnt a little about their interesting beliefs. As far as I'm aware, Mormons in South Africa follow the same beliefs and pratices as Mormons in the States. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

message 11: by Roman (new)

Roman New (romannew) | 1 comments A newly published book; "Values Of A Spiritual Mind" by Roman New...http://www.xlibris.com or http://149roman.wordpress.com/

message 12: by Kandy (new)

Kandy Crenshaw (kanzedac) Thanks for the feedback. I am really interested in the reading Dedats Is the Bible God's Word. I find it interesting that it has several different publishers. I just receive the book Morals, Ethics and Religions: Fixing Our Moral Compass in the mail and am looking forward to reading it.

message 13: by Kandy (new)

Kandy Crenshaw (kanzedac) I just came upon a book in the Goodreads giveaways that I thought might interest some of you. One copy of The Holy Bible and Mormonism is currently posted for one lucky reader to win.

message 14: by Judy (new)

Judy Croome (judycroome) Kanzeda, the Morals & Ethics book looks excellent. WIll add it to my list (will buy it for Husband!)

message 15: by Judy (new)

Judy Croome (judycroome) Nazifah, my Methodist husband has a very good copy of the Qur'an, as well as a selection of interpretations. He also has copies of the Talmud, Bible, Upanishads and other religious texts with relevant interpretive companions. His main interest is liturgical chants of all the religions -I can't tell you how often I hear Sufi and other chants coming from his study! What amazes me is the similarity of the three Mosaic religions, rather than their differences. And reading across the religions, while still honouring yours, is a good thing.
Judy, South Africa

message 16: by Hammad (new)

Hammad (hammadhammad) | 4 comments hello everyone,

just a few days ago i met a blond haired, blue eyed man from america. we had a very nice conversation. i was surprised when ha said that he's a buddhist, he's a zen buddhist, like the ones that comes from japan. he said that his family are christian, one of his siblings is atheist, and he's the only buddhist.

is there anyone here that have family member(s) that has different beliefs? how is that, how do you cope? is there any difficulties? orrr, is there any of your your friends who convert to other religion/beliefs/ideo?

message 17: by Judy (new)

Judy Croome (judycroome) Hello Hammad thanks for your email I am indeed from South Africa & interested to see that you are from Malaysia - my husband & I enjoyed our visit to Malaysia a few years ago, it's is a vibrant friendly country much like South Africa! :)

We have a lot of friends of different faiths - a few have converted to Judaism from Christianity. One of our closest friend couples are a Jewish husband and Roman Catholic wife - there was a big adjustment time needed when they first married, but have just celebrated their 20th wedding anniversary. They celebrate both faiths' Holy Days and both find comfort from the similarities.

Cheers
Judy, South Africa

message 18: by Emily Iliani (new)

Emily Iliani (emilyiliani) Judy wrote: "Nazifah, my Methodist husband has a very good copy of the Qur'an, as well as a selection of interpretations. He also has copies of the Talmud, Bible, Upanishads and other religious texts with relev..."

Sorry to interject; when you mentioned Mosaic, did you mean Abrahamic?

And also, for a start, i think The Evolution of God makes a good reading.

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan Janke | 1 comments Emillia wrote: "Judy wrote: "Emillia, The Church of the Latter Day Saints members are more commonly known as Mormons. Their founder was Joseph Smith, in 1830 he had a mystical experience. Their religious texts inc..."

LDS is a denomination within the Mormon religion. The Mormon view of God (a single God) is quite different than the Christian view which espouses a triune God (Father, Son, Holy Ghost). There are many other differences between the two, so I do not think you can correctly classify Mormon as a denomination within Christianity...