Q&A with J.A. Konrath discussion

ebook market

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jack (last edited Feb 28, 2011 10:57AM) (new)

Jack Wallen (jack_wallen) | 2 comments Mr. Konrath,

Thank you for taking our questions. My question is simple: What would you recommend as the best path to success for marketing new ebooks?

Thank you so much.

Jack

message 2: by J.A. (new)

J.A. A. Konrath | 47 comments Mod
1. Write a damn good book.
2. Make sure it has professional cover art.
3. Keep the price under $4.
4. Make sure the formatting is flawless.
5. Write a good product description.
6. Upload to Kindle, Nook, and Smashwords.
7. Repeat. Over and over, until the world can no longer ignore your work.

No one likes to think about how big a part luck and random events play in success. But luck is huge.

However, the harder you work, the luckier you get. And the more shelf space you have (virtual or real) the more chances you have for people to discover you. So 36 ebooks for sale give you a better shot at success than 2 do.

message 3: by Jarrett (new)

Jarrett Rush You have a formula for writing a great description? What to include? What to leave out? Are there certain words/things that seem to hook/turn off a reader?

message 4: by Jack (new)

Jack Wallen (jack_wallen) | 2 comments J.A. wrote: "1. Write a damn good book.
6. Upload to Kindle,..."

That's pretty much what I thought your description would look like. That's the "formula" I pretty much set up for myself as well. Thank you.

By the way, are you enjoying the ebook experience so far? What is your preference now? Standard publication or ebook?

message 5: by J.A. (new)

I love the ebook experience. It's faster, I have more control, and keep more of the royalties.

As for writing great descriptions, read a lot of books in your genre and look at how they do it. Read the back jacket copy.

Currently, on my blog, http://jakonrath.blogspot.com, Blake Crouch has a great description for his new novel, RUN.

message 6: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie  Crawford J.A. wrote: "1. Write a damn good book.
6. Upload to Kindle,..."

The advice about keeping the price of eBooks under $4.00 is excellent, but I believe that some booksellers, like Amazon.com, discount the eBook prices if the book isn't selling well.

In your opinion, and because you have a great deal of experience compared to many, are discounts something that authors should take into consideration before setting the selling price for their eBooks?

message 7: by J.A. (new)

Amazon doesn't discount. They may match prices it another retailer is selling a book for less, but the publisher sets the book price.

message 8: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie  Crawford Okay, good to know. Thanks.

message 9: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie  Crawford The price matching --- does the publisher authorize that or does the book seller take the hit to stay competitive in the bookseller market?

I've had authors tell me both ways...

If I am asking too many questions, let me know and I'll stop, but picking your brain is a gold mine. :-)

message 10: by Chryse (new)

Chryse Wymer (chrysewymer) | 9 comments Mr. Konrath,
Your blog is my home page, and I find it highly informative. Thank you so much for listening to your Encore publicist and answering questions here :)

So my question: what is the most effective way to promote a new ebook? I realize that the book (and its packaging) itself is marketing, but I want to know how to get the word out that the thing exists. And my question revolves around us newbers. After all, we can't all get pre-sale pages on Amazon, and bloggers are getting so busy with reviews that that is a somewhat difficult path. Whatever insights you have would be very much appreciated,

Chryse
http://www.thisdarkmagic.weebly.com

message 11: by J.A. (new)

Bobbie wrote: "The price matching --- does the publisher authorize that or does the book seller take the hit to stay competitive in the bookseller market?

If I am asking to..."

The publisher sets the price. It's their job to make sure all prices are equal with different retailers. if they aren't the retailer will match.

And ask as many ???s as you like. :)

message 12: by J.A. (new)

Chryse wrote: "Mr. Konrath,
Your blog is my home page, and I find it highly informative. Thank you so much for listening to your Encore publicist and answering questions here :)

So my question: what is the mo..."

Thanks!

I post on Kindleboards.com occasionally, and I've found many folks to review my ebooks here on Goodreads. Offer free books to your friends here in exchange for a review.

message 13: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie  Crawford J.A. wrote: "Bobbie wrote: "The price matching --- does the publisher authorize that or does the book seller take the hit to stay competitive in the bookseller market?

I..."

Thanks, Joe.

message 14: by Chryse (new)

Chryse Wymer (chrysewymer) | 9 comments Okay, adding that to my list for when my book comes out. Thanks, and much continued success to you!

message 15: by Milton (new)

Milton Bagby (miltonbagby) | 10 comments Joe -- I have a blog up and running, plus a website that I haven't activated. Thing is, my blog seems to do all I need right now. I'm not interested in selling my own novels or mugs and tee-shirts, so I don't need a commerce site. I'm happy to link to Amazon and let them do all the selling. All necessary info on me or my product is in the blog. Am I missing something? Do I really need a website?

Milton Bagby
Author of "Before I Sleep"
http://bagbyfile.blogspot.com

message 16: by J.A. (new)

Websites are nice to have, but I don't think they're necessary anymore. A blog is fine.

message 17: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 13 comments Heya Milton -

try http://flavors.me . It's a place where you can set up a free website, and set it to aggregate content from your blog, flickr, twitter, tumblr, whatever! It's very easy to use. If you bought a domain name, $20/ year will let you set that up, and that same fee will give you more design options, too. I highly recommend them, and the sites look nice and clean.

If you do this method, it's far less work, give you a web address to give out, and ties any and all your social media together. :)

Jenna
@lundeenliterary

message 18: by Milton (new)

Milton Bagby (miltonbagby) | 10 comments Thanks, Jenna. I'll take a look. Actually, I dreaded going back to my GoDaddy site. Nothing is intuitive or out-of-the-box easy. I'm sure I could have licked it, but my time is short as is.

message 19: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 13 comments Milton -

It's pretty easy to get your godaddy domain to forward to your flavors.me site. And it makes your life so much simpler when you have all that other crap to do...

Jenna
@lundeenliterary

message 20: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Welch (sheilakellywelch) | 1 comments Jenna wrote: "Heya Milton -

try http://flavors.me . It's a place where you can set up a free website, and set it to aggregate content from your blog, flickr, twitter, tumblr, whatever! It's very easy to use. I..."

Thanks for the hint. That's a great site. Really easy to use.

message 21: by Milton (new)

Milton Bagby (miltonbagby) | 10 comments Joe -- My casual observation is that sci-fi, fantasy, paranormal and straight thrillers sell tons more than traditional mysteries and police procedurals where Kindle is concerned. At the bookstore, I see yards of shelf space for historical romance, but not so much in self-pub. Are we looking at a predominant demographic when it comes to genre sales?