Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Movies of the Month > What´s your favorite book adaptation?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 270 (270 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Mahreen (new)

Mahreen | 4 comments Which movies based on a book have the best adaptation for you? I just watched Tne Road and really like it, very similar to the book!

message 2: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey | 209 comments I`ve never read it, but the APU trilogy was made into a trilogy that I put on my best 10 movies ever made.

Other than that, LTR`s is the best that I`ve experienced in both media.

message 3: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10605 comments i love the apu trilogy, but never read the book.

i like the cinematic adaptation of let the right one in - i really like the bits they left out, and how they brought the bulk of the story to the screen. one of my favorite adaptations.

mostly i don't care if the film is different than the book - or tend not to think too much about how the film and book are different - stephen king really didn't like kubrick's adaptation of the shining, because it was quite different from the book - but that's a case where i love both and love the different perspectives each story teller chose to focus on.

message 4: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Phillip - I'm glad to hear that about "Let the Right One In" - it is on my to-read list and I am waiting to watch the movie.

message 5: by Phillip (last edited Mar 01, 2011 08:46PM) (new)

Phillip | 10605 comments yeah, the road seemed pretty faithful to the book, as was no country for old men.

message 6: by Steve (new)

Steve | 957 comments Apparently a BLOOD MERIDIAN adaptation is in the works.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) For book adapations may favorite is a toss up between BladeRunner(DADE) and Fight Club. Under that Picture of Dorian Gray 40's version and Lord Jim Richard Brooks.

message 8: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10605 comments oh yeah, dorian gray (universal) was well done, i want to see that again...it's been years, decades.

message 9: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5353 comments Steve, I can't imagine a film of BLOOD MERIDIAN, I just can't. There's only one actor alive who can play Judge Holden, and he's quite simply too old. I'm thinking of John Goodman, he's the right size and has the acting chops, and would have been awe-inspiring in the role, if it had been made about 20 years ago.

Ah, well. They'll probably get Philip Seymour Hoffman.

message 10: by Sam (new)

Sam | 548 comments hmm ... I'm with pg - I'm usually ok if they're different because of the mediums ... but I do hate being disappointed when the film is crap compared to the book ...

Some of my favorites though would include The Shipping News, Shawshank Redemption, Brokeback Mountain, Incendiary, To Kill a Mockingbird

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) Never read any of those books, sam. Great movies. Tempted to read shawshank and shipping news.

I wanna add sideways for adaptations. Classic book and film

message 12: by Sam (new)

Sam | 548 comments :o) Shawshank is unusual for a Stephen King story ... and from memory it's only a shortie

The Shipping News is a bewdy, mate ... I fell in love with the whole knot motif

message 13: by Steve (new)

Steve | 957 comments Tom wrote: "Steve, I can't imagine a film of BLOOD MERIDIAN, I just can't. There's only one actor alive who can play Judge Holden, and he's quite simply too old. I'm thinking of John Goodman, he's the right ..."

Agreed, I don't see how a film could capture the terror of the novel. Goodman as the Judge would have been tremendous.

Per Wikipedia (so who knows), Oscar host James Franco expressed interest in taking over the film project. I hope that doesn't mean he'll play the Judge ha ha!

message 14: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10605 comments Sam wrote: ":o) Shawshank is unusual for a Stephen King story ... and from memory it's only a shortie

The Shipping News is a bewdy, mate ... I fell in love with the whole knot motif"

yeah, i enjoyed reading the shipping news!

message 15: by Ariadna (new)

Ariadna | 618 comments Just from the top of my head, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Virgin Suicides, Blindness, Naked Lunch (if you could count this as an adaptation). There must be a lot I like both movie and book, but it's not that easy to remember right now. It'll come to me...
I'm dying to see The Fountainhead hehe

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Gone with the Wind no question about it! I love the book and the movie and just everything about it! I do really like To Kill a Mockingbird as well there are so many though that I do love.

message 17: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10605 comments i like what cronenberg did with naked lunch - the extra disc in the criterion collection release has that great series of interviews with him and burroughs - his comment that you "couldn't make a film of naked lunch" is pretty spot on. instead, it made for a better film to see burroughs in the process of writing naked lunch and dealing with his demons. and judy davis is awesome in it.

message 18: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) Phillip wrote: "i like what cronenberg did with naked lunch - the extra disc in the criterion collection release has that great series of interviews with him and burroughs - his comment that you "couldn't make a f..."

Mixed feelings on Naked Lunch. Loved what Cronenberg did, it was a great approach. I couldn't imagine a non animated attempt at Naked Lunch. Definitely not the collection of stories, overlaps--cut-up's, but it hits on the center of the stories and on the William S. He nailed down "coke bugs", "interzone", and "hauser and o'brien" and many parts of the book, but still missed so much great stuff.

message 19: by Maryanne (new)

Maryanne Raphael (MaryanneRaphael) | 250 comments I love Gone With the Wind, both the book and the movie.

message 20: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10605 comments your post made me want to revisit naked lunch - i read it every decade - guess it's time. i am reading the new, restored text, and it reads really well.

message 21: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) Phillip, I'm glad i posted. I want to know if the "fully restored" text makes a difference to you. I've been thinking for a while about reading some old Burroughs too. It's been some years since i've read The Soft Machine and the Nova Express.

message 22: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10605 comments so far so good. the opening episodes read nicely. i'll say more later.

i like the cut up novels, but my favorite is the place of dead roads - all the innovative techniques are better integrated into a lyrical whole.

message 23: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) Gone with the wind was a good movie. I remember our HS Teacher had us watch the movie to help us finish reading it. Living in Atlanta you know all those names and places i wondered how it must feel and that thought occurred to me when reading Girl With A Dragon Tattoo, how much easier that would've flowed if you had an understanding of the geography.

Funny, i've read Cities of the Red Night and The Western Lands, but i missed the Place Of Dead Roads.

message 24: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca My favorite book adaptioon was the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It was really good.

message 25: by Ruta (last edited Mar 08, 2011 10:32PM) (new)

Ruta (Rutita) | 2 comments I really liked "The Godfather", the movie maybe even was better than the book...
"The shining" was a masterpiece, too (well, I haven't read the book yet, but I will do it any moment, because the movie was a blast (especially for such horror movies hater like me :D).
Of course, one of my favourites is the adaptation of "The Lord of the Rings".
I bet there are a lot more of other great book adaptations out there, but nothing else comes to my mind at this moment.

message 26: by Scott (new)

Scott (Karlstadt) | 17 comments Sam wrote: ":o) Shawshank is unusual for a Stephen King story ... and from memory it's only a shortie

The Shipping News is a bewdy, mate ... I fell in love with the whole knot motif"

message 27: by Scott (new)

Scott (Karlstadt) | 17 comments The Shawshank Redemption is the only adaptation of a Stephen King novel that I have seen that has any character developement. I read that King intended 'The Shining' as a study of the father-child relationship. All I got out of the movie was "Here's Johnny !!"

message 28: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10605 comments as someone said in another thread - when you hit reply, just type your comment in the same box as the reply you are responding to. little less clutter that way.

message 29: by Geoffrey (last edited Mar 11, 2011 09:31AM) (new)

Geoffrey | 209 comments Scott wrote: "The Shawshank Redemption is the only adaptation of a Stephen King novel that I have seen that has any character developement. I read that King intended 'The Shining' as a study of the father-child..."

Yes, it was very unusual for King. It was a real story, driven as much by character as by plot. I never thought much of the other crap.

Did King also write STAND BY ME? If so, I give him two stars- the rest can descend to the place he often hints at.

message 30: by Chris (new)

Chris (CreativeBeard) | 22 comments Geoffrey wrote: "Scott wrote: "The Shawshank Redemption is the only adaptation of a Stephen King novel that I have seen that has any character developement. I read that King intended 'The Shining' as a study of th..."

Yes, Stand By Me was his too. King movies are normally d.o.a., I'll give you that. However, you could probably add The Green Mile to the well adapted list, it was the only one on the list so far that was not based on a short story, but a full novel...it was also directed by the same director as Shawshank, so extra points there.

@ Scott, I loved the Shining, though the film was nothing like the book...there's a lot more to that movie but you have to look under the surface.

Other King movies that were good: Creepshow, Carrie, Cat's Eye, Misery, The Running Man (if not for the simple fact that it pre-dated the horrors of reality t.v.).

And I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to seeing how "The Dark Tower" turns out.

message 31: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone (28daysearlier) | 118 comments The Mist is a good Stephen King book adaptation. Also by Frank Darabont. Apt Pupil is also a fairly good film, quite disturbing and underrated. It came from the Different Seasons which also spawned Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me.

message 32: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Williams (triciatypes) | 3 comments Mahreen wrote: "Which movies based on a book have the best adaptation for you? I just watched Tne Road and really like it, very similar to the book!"

I haven't seen The Road yet, but I loved the book. I'd watch Viggo Mortensen read the news though, he's so amazing. I'll have to add it to my queue!

message 33: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Williams (triciatypes) | 3 comments Tyrone wrote: "The Mist is a good Stephen King book adaptation. Also by Frank Darabont. Apt Pupil is also a fairly good film, quite disturbing and underrated. It came from the Different Seasons which also spawned..."

I was totally surprised by how awesome The Mist was...especially the end, sent chills down my spine.

message 34: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Williams (triciatypes) | 3 comments Sin City for me...all the vibrancy and awesomeness from the art was vibrant and personified on screen. Such an awesome, visually stunning movie.

message 35: by Kevin (last edited Mar 15, 2011 05:48AM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 4 comments My favorite would have be to A Scanner Darkly, got everything correct. I read the book in high school for class, after the film came out the teacher had to switch the book.

message 36: by Sidney (last edited Mar 17, 2011 07:02PM) (new)

Sidney Prescott (horrorbound) The Green Mile, Revolutionary Road (absolutely stunning novel and movie), The Mist, Shawshank Redemption (obviously a huge stephen king fan), Party Monster, American Psycho (actually my favorite movie of all time), The Road, War of the Worlds (the Tom Cruise version, it's cheesey and has tom cruise in it, but i'm a sucker for aliens), Jaws, and Everything is Illuminated.

message 37: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone (28daysearlier) | 118 comments Agree with you on Everything is Illuminated. Lovely little film. Can't agree with you on War of the Worlds, i dream of a faithful remake in Victorian England. I lived just off Horsell comment where the ships land and we got very excited because originally it seemed that Speilberg was going to make the original actually on location in Surry. Gutted when he didn't and worse when i watched the actual film.

message 38: by Lani (last edited Mar 20, 2011 06:00PM) (new)

Lani (lani14) | 7 comments I agree that books and movies are different medias. A movie doesn't have to follow a book slavishly to be good. I remember reading about the disappointment with the first Harry Potter movie because it was too perfect and had no suprises. (You can't please some people.) I love the 1995 version of Sense & Sensibility with Emma Thompson. It carries the tone and flavor of Jane Austen without a lot of original dialogue. The Dead Zone has Stephen King's dark themes of longing, despair and loneliness. And who doesn't love watching Christopher Walken and Martin Sheen tearing up the scenery?

message 39: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) Lani wrote: "I agree that books and movies are different medias. A movie doesn't have to follow a book slavishly to be good. I remember reading about the disappointment with the first Harry Potter movie because..."

The Dead Zone was a great adaptation. That was my first first awareness of Christopher Walken as a great actor. Of course i hadn't seen the Deer Hunter or many of his previous films at that time.

message 40: by Sidney (new)

Sidney Prescott (horrorbound) Lani wrote: "I agree that books and movies are different medias. A movie doesn't have to follow a book slavishly to be good. I remember reading about the disappointment with the first Harry Potter movie because..."

I want to see The Dead Zone soooo bad!

message 41: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (bnash0912) | 8 comments Gone with the Wind. I know it is really old, but i read the book before I ever saw the movie and I loved both! It stuck as close to facts as it could within a somewhat reasonable (okay, 3 hour [or more?]) time limit. The director picked actors who matched the characters perfectly: Vivian Leigh for Scarlett (just how I imagined her looking) Clark Gable as Rhett (epitomy of a Southern Gentleman in looks and he played the part so well...)

message 42: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey | 209 comments Yes, the casting was good. Vivian Leigh is good as the flaky, scatterbrained, social butterfly of Scarlett. There was something insubstantial about Leigh. Good pick by the casting group.

message 43: by Gina (new)

Gina | 5 comments I just watched Never Let Me Go and loved it. I read the book about a month ago thought it was beautiful. The movie stuck to the book pretty closely and was just as moving with fantastic performances from all the actors as well.

message 44: by Renata (new)

Renata | 1 comments My favorite is Pride & Prejudice ,,,BBC 1995 with Colin Firth Very nicely made <3

message 45: by Hodan (Ho.th.an) (new)

Hodan (Ho.th.an) (hothanjama_) Renata wrote: "My favorite is Pride & Prejudice ,,,BBC 1995 with Colin Firth Very nicely made <3"

OMG i agree with you!!!! best Pride and Prejudice Colin Firth is how i pictured Mr. Darcy. no one comes close :)

message 46: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10605 comments there are things i like about the bbc version - it's closer to the book of course, you get 5 hours of screen time, instead of most film versions. but there's something too mannered, too careful, about the production in general for me. i liked joe wright's version from a few years ago (really liked matthew macfadyen's darcy), but what really surprised me was a recent viewing of the older version from the 30's with greer garson as elizabeth bennett and lawrence olivier as mr darcy.

message 47: by Hodan (Ho.th.an) (last edited Mar 21, 2011 09:30PM) (new)

Hodan (Ho.th.an) (hothanjama_) i have always wanted to watch all of the P&P versions, i have seen all but the 1940 version and the 1980 BBC mini-series.
i liked the 2005 version and Matthew Macfadyen's Darcy was good but i think nothing comes close to Colin Firths Darcy, when i read the book before i saw the movies i pictured Darcy as a Colin type and Elizabeth as Jennifer Ehle not Keira Knightley. i hate when films cut most of the book out so seeing almost all of the book onscreen was amazing. withe the 1995 version they had the luxury of time; using more of the original dialogue, you understand each character so much better, you see where they are coming from so much clearer. there is so much more emotion in the BBC version than the 2005 version, the acting in both is wonderful but i think the BBC version is so much better because they had much more time for character development.

message 48: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10605 comments yeah, i understand all of that. it's nice when a film can come close to capturing all there is in a book. i made the decision some time ago not to expect a film to bring all there is in a book to the screen - you have a certain amount of time to tell the story you want to tell, focus on what you think is important and get on with it. i liked what joe wright chose to bring to the screen.

for my money, greer garson (1940 version) might just be my favorite elizabeth bennett. i wasn't so happy with keira knightley, she was the link in that film that i wasn't so hot on, but as i said, matthew macfayden might be my favorite darcy. colin firth is an outstanding actor, and probably more true to the part that austen forged, but again, a film is different than a novel, and sometimes i want something different from the movie than what i got from the book.

St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures ||| ♥ Zin Uru ♥ |||| | 482 comments hear hear Phillip, I somehow didn't like Keira Knightley at all as Elizabeth Bennett she had no grace or poise or anything much i feel she should just stick to Arthur and Pirates of the Carribbean kind of roles.

Alice in Wonderland is the best Tim Burton so far, it has replaced Charlie and the chocolate Factory as my weird Tim Burton movie favourite I didnt even get his other movies one tine bit except for Planet of the Apes which was actually a simple story to follow with a few twists no one even cares to notice or remember while watching the movie.

And it was much much much better than the book which has some very memorable lines from old world literature, Off with his head! and something baout running fast!!

message 50: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (cubgirl) | 31 comments Silence Of The Lambs!! The movie was just the way I pictured everything in the book.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6