[asmb] Book Club discussion

Archives > March BotM: Good Omens

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (last edited Feb 28, 2011 09:49AM) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) | 703 comments Mod
Good Omens

Synopsis:
We hear the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. Just before dinner. Unfortunately, Sister Mary Loquacious of the Chattering Order has misplaced the Antichrist. The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse ride motorcycles. And the representatives from Heaven and Hellhave decided they actually like the human race...

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett

--------------------
Stats

Book: Good Omens
Author: Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
Pages: 400
Genre: Fantasy, Comedy
Nominator: Katt_Goddess
Month: March 2011
BotM Number: 8

message 2: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (last edited Feb 28, 2011 10:12AM) (new)

So, gonna go with the one thread again, I think it works much better. Just go ahead and keep using that spoiler tag if you need to talk about something that's, well, a spoiler.

Also, I probably won't be reading the book right away like I normally do. Two sequels come out tomorrow and I'm dying to read them. @_@ It'll probably be a week or so before I get to it.

message 3: by Katt_goddess (new)

Katt_goddess | 267 comments Yay! I win I win! :D And probably a good thing too, I'm kinda on the broke end of broke right now so a trip to B&N would be salt in a wound. Probably seasoned salt or Mrs. Dash for added injury.

I'll probably start up this one at some point this week since it's sitting right there looking at me right now but I'm in the middle of a trilogy too.

message 4: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

This is most excellent indeed!

I'm finishing up the last book in a series... then... I should probably read Good Omens after this. If not I'll get lost in Name of the Wind and Wise Man's fear for far too long.

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary (med401) | 234 comments I'm going to wait until it comes back to the library. Someone has it checked out until the 11th. I just hope they bring it back on time.
I'm reading other stuff as well. Maybe I can get the two books I'm reading now done by the 11th.

message 6: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
I with you Mary I'll have to wait to see if its in my library. It's why I didn't get to join last months book discussion. When I finally got to the library the only copy of black echo had been checked out till march 6th or so. But I'm hopeful and maybe I will be able to read it, it would be a nice break from what I've been reading. I'm really getting annoyed at all the sex in my books lately. Old gripe I know but the book I'm reading right now is just pushing all my buttons, especially since I had been waiting for it to come out.

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary (med401) | 234 comments Well you won't have that complaint with Black Echo. They refer to two of the characters having sex but there's nothing descriptive or graphic. Just like they kiss, then next thing you know they wake up together.

P.S. I'm finally reading the Hunger Games. I'm on book two. It's quite good so far. Much better than a lot of sci fi/YA I've read.

message 8: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
Yay for reading hunger games. I love that series, it just gets in your head.

I'm waiting till Monday to go to the library, hopefully I can get both black echo and good omens so I can join in the discussions.

message 9: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Few more days and I'll be done The Wise Man's Fear. After that I'll be starting up Good Omens.

message 10: by Jingai (new)

Jingai | 56 comments I'll have to check the library for this one.
I might be behind a bit but I'll be glad to
read Neil Gaiman. I've got to finish Dan Simmons
first, I don't do well if I stop in the middle of a series.

message 11: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
Thankfully my library had it and it was available. So I'm going to start it today now that I finished with the new Mercy Thompson novel. I love that series and the new book was released yesterday and I just finished it. So now I'll have no distractions in starting out book of the month

message 12: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Just finished Wise Man's Fear and will be starting Good Omens today myself. Well tonight.

message 13: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

I'm only a dozen or so pages into this, but I'm really not feeling it. >_<

message 14: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
I actually liked the beginning but now I'm kinda meh towards it. I good it picks back up

message 15: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (last edited Mar 11, 2011 12:33PM) (new)

I liked the way the characters were introduced in a list like they were (are?) in plays. That got a smile out of me. The rest... I don't know. I think after reading Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear back to back I just don't have the brain power to read this. I read another book last night, but still... NotW & WMF, they sucked all the concentrating/wit processing power out of me.

I think I'm going to read another book and then try this one again. I just need to read some stuff that let's my brain take a bit of a rest.

message 16: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
Yeah I wouldn't want to read this after books like Wise Men's Fears, they are too opposite. And yeah I liked the list and the forward they did. I really laughed a bit with the first part, it was very reminiscent of the humor you find in Hitchhikers Guide which I love. Sadly the more I get into the book the less humor is in it. The story isn't bad but I was really hoping it would be a fun witty book all the way through. Ofcourse I'm not even half way thru so its hard to make a pronouncement on it over all.