Terminalcoffee discussion

Helping You To Know The News > Living history

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/...

The last living American World War I vet died this weekend. It's always sad to see the links to history pass away.

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I saw this on the news...he was 110, right? I forget people can live that long.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Sarah Pi wrote: "It's always sad to see the links to history pass away."

It is. I see local Holocaust survivors die away and I wonder who will bother to remember to tell other people?

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Michael wrote: "Sarah Pi wrote: "It's always sad to see the links to history pass away."

It is. I see local Holocaust survivors die away and I wonder who will bother to remember to tell other people?"

At least with that population, there has been a great effort to get their stories on film and paper. Still, I remember how affecting it was when our school would have a Holocaust survivor come to speak with us; I think the generation in school now will probably be the last one to have that experience first hand.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24076 comments Mod
These things are always so sad to me. It's so important to have a sense of history as something vital and real, that happened to actual people, rather than ossified and irrelevant. (It's not irrelevant to me, but I fear it becomes so for other people.)

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Sarah Pi wrote: "I remember how affecting it was when our school would have a Holocaust survivor come to speak with us; I think the generation in school now will probably be the last one to have that experience first hand."

Not only school, but the survivors will often speak at community events and that will soon be a thing of the past.

message 7: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments My FIL remembers. Recently he has become more willing to talk about his days in WWII. He was part of the Battle of the Bulge, and his unit was also one that discovered one of the concentration camps. Sick, sick, sick. We can't let the memories and the knowledge of what man is capable of doing to other men die with my FIL's generation.