Ling Period 8 World Lit. I 2010-11 discussion

Romeo and Juliet > Loss of Innocence: Acts One and Two

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diana (new)

Diana | 19 comments Mod
Have Romeo and/or Juliet experienced a coming of age/loss of innocence? If so, when? How? How do they feel about this process?

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark Dudko | 2 comments They feel sort of alienated from their families since they both don't hate the opposite family and they are experiencing a feeling of infatuation to each other.

They want do not like it that much (the rival families) this is proven when Juliet asks why is Romeo who he is. She says this because she is supposed to hate him.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom T | 11 comments I think that Romeo and Juliet, both experienced loss of innocence when they decided to get married and devote their lives to each other, i don't know anyone who would get married at such a young age of 13. I feel like their love was very rushed, but genuine.
Romeo and Juliet feel excited about their marriage because they are in love with each other.

message 4: by Talia (new)

Talia Marom | 10 comments I definitely believe that they have lost their innocence because although they are still very young they got married. They didnt just talk about it and threaten to do it, they actually planned it out and got married. THey are in love.

message 5: by J. (new)

J. Ni | 11 comments Romeo lost his innocence when Rosaline rejects him. Usually as a kit, they get whatever they want, but now, Romeo can't get Rosaline. Thus, he reacts to this by becoming all depressed and sad.

Juliet lost her innocence when Paris offers to marry her. This is because she has never thought of marriage before, and when Paris asks her this, this means that Juliet has to make a choice that affects her life: accept his offer or become a nun. Juliet feels like it is an honor being pushed upon her, but you can tell she is a bit confused about it.

message 6: by Ross O (new)

Ross O | 15 comments Juliet and Romeo both are feeling a coming of age, because they're both feeling intense love. For Romeo, it started with Rosaline, and then with Juliet at a whole new level. Juliet feels it with Romeo as well. THey are also both being pressured to marry, especially Juliet. All of this is coming at them, this love, and then the hatred trying to silence the love. Now, from where we are in the book, they're married and that is most certainly a coming of age. THat's when they're officially considered a man and women. I'm sure, while overwhelming, that they are both ecstatic at this point, having married their loves, but we're aware that it's all downhill from here.