Ling Period 8 World Lit. I 2010-11 discussion

Romeo and Juliet > Relationships: Acts One and Two

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diana (new)

Diana | 19 comments Mod
Which characters honestly care about Romeo? How can you tell? OR, Which characters honestly care about Juliet? How can you tell?

message 2: by Sami (new)

Sami | 10 comments Benvolio, Montague, Lady Montague, and Juliet really care about Romeo. We know Benvolio and Montague care about him because in act one when he was upset about Rosaline they had a whole conversation about how deeply worried they were about him. In that conversation Montague shared how he has tried to talk with him, and has tried to get his friends to talk to him. Then Benvolio shared how he would go and talk with Romeo right away. Lady Montague cares about Romeo because when she heard about the fight in act one the first thing she asked was if Romeo was involved. Lastly, we know Juliet cares about Romeo because in act two when she didn't know Romeo was there she professed her love for him.

message 3: by Talia (new)

Talia Marom | 10 comments I believe the nurse truly cares about Juliet. I can tell because she trusts the nurse more than anyone else to talk to. The nurse doesn't disobey her. She cares a lot to keep all of her secrets.

message 4: by Tom (new)

Tom T | 11 comments I agree with Talia. I think that the nurse only wants the best for Juliet. I believe this because the nurse goes all over the town as Juliet's messenger and Juliet is comfortable talking to the nurse as if she was her mother. I think the nurse has played a major role in Juliet's life because I can tell that Juliet trusts the nurse with all of her secrets and they have a very close relationship.

message 5: by Nick (new)

Nick Blake | 10 comments Like the people above me said, I think that yes, the nurse really cares about Juliet, but you also have to remember her dad does as well. He lost all of his other children, so he has to at least have a special connection to her. Also, when Paris asks to marry Juliet, even though Capulet knows that Paris comes from such a wealthy and powerful family (the prince's) he still holds up and says he will not give Paris the consent to marry Juliet unless she wants to, showing he really wants her to be happy.

message 6: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 10 comments I agree with people above because the nurse is and was always there for juliet and has always cared for juliet and spoke to her with respect. I fell that the nurse and juliet have a really strong relationship because they do. It was always shown in the book how much the nurse respects and worries about Juliet. So I think the nurse.

message 7: by Amit.s. (new)

Amit.s. | 9 comments i agree with talia. the nurse cares a lot for juliet because she is always there for her. when juliet asks her to go do something she agrees and help her.

message 8: by J. (new)

J. Ni | 11 comments The only who cares truly about Juliet are her father and her nurse. They want to make her happy.

Romeo, however, I feel like is a bit in between. He wants her love, but only wants her love. He tries and rush things so that he could just get her love, not caring about any other things. He barely even knows her, so how does he know what to do to make her happy?

message 9: by Ross O (new)

Ross O | 15 comments I can tell that both Friar Lawrence, Benvolio, and Mercutio care about Romeo. Benvolio and (Mercutio especially) make fun of Romeo and may not understand where he's coming from with all these different girl obsessions, but that doesn't mean they don't care about him. Thus far, they've gone with him everywhere and tried to warn him when he was about to hop the wall into the Capulet's yard. THe only thing that I'm worried about with Benvolio is that when he saw Romeo who was in obvious distress, he didn't try to help him but rather "shunned who gladly shunned him". He probably should've tried to help Romeo, but that doesn't mean he doesn't care about him. He talked it out with him shortly after that part is mentioned and tried to cheer him up.