Ling period 3 World Lit. I 2010-11 discussion

Romeo and Juliet > Relationships: Acts One and Two

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diana (new)

Diana | 18 comments Mod
Which characters honestly care about Romeo? How can you tell? OR, Which characters honestly care about Juliet? How can you tell?

message 2: by Iaan Song (new)

Iaan Song | 13 comments I believe two people honestly care about Romeo. One is obviously Juliet, but the other is Benvolio. Although Juliet loves Romeo with her whole life, on the other hand Benvolio truly cares about Romeo like a brother, not like a cousin. That is why Benvolio follows Romeo wherever he goes and council him on how to act sensibly. Then he constantly talk to him about love, and how man should act during the times of hardship. I believe thats what makes Benvolio such a careful person for Romeo. On the other hand, Juliet is cared by two people as well, the nurse, and Romeo. Even though the nurse may be very chatty and sometimes lazy. She is a person who tries her best in everything. On the other hand, playboy Romeo has lost his mind, and was blinded by the beauty of Juliet. As he stated in the Act 2 Scene 2 balcony scene, love has guided him to do everything for Juliet. Therefore, you can tell how much he cares about Juliet.

message 3: by Ryan (new)

Ryan A | 11 comments I agree with Iann, I believe Juliet and Benvolio both truly care about Romeo.. From the scenes in which Juliet or Benvolio are talking with Romeo, for example, Act 1 Scene 2, and Act 2 Scene 2. In these scenes, both Benvolio and Juliet truly seem to listen to what Romeo has to say. I think that Montague and Lady Montague also truly care about Romeo. Though, like with some parents, they have a hard time communicating with him, and they have a hard time understanding his feelings. Are they too caught up in their fight with the Capulets, or do they just not want to deal with it? Juliet also has people who care about her. Lady Capulet cares about Juliet, on page 39 Lady Capulet wants Juliet to get married. I think that Lady Capulet thinks getting married will better Juliet's life. Romeo cares about Juliet, because, you know, he loves her!

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 10 comments I think that there are many people that care about Juliet. The first person is obviously, Romeo. He cares about her a lot, and I think that Shakespeare clearly shows that. For example, "And, but thou love me, let them find me here. / My life were better ended by their hate / Than death be prorougued, wanting my love" (2.2.81-83). Another person that loves her, is her father. At that time, when you were a noble or a person of high social status, your marriage would usually be arranged by your father. When Paris asked Capulet wether he could have juliet's hand in marriage, Capulet said that he wanted to get Juliet's point of view on it too. Most fathers (during that time) wouldn't really care about wether their daughter wanted to marry the person of their choice or not.

message 5: by Courtneylp (new)

Courtneylp | 9 comments I think Romeo and the nurse really care about Juliet. The nurse just wants Juliet's happiness. She is running around passing on messages between her and Romeo so they can meet and get married.
Romeo has cared for her the moment her saw her across the room at the party. He is wiling to give up everything for her and wants to be married after a few days.

message 6: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Mankovsky | 12 comments As stated by my fellow classmates, there are about three people who truly care about Romeo, and Juliet on the other hand is only truly cared by only two people. Benvolio, Mercutio, and of course Juliet all honestly care about Romeo. They are always there for him, during the good or bad. While Romeo was missing, Benvolio and Mercutio went out looking for him all night. No other Montague would do this for Romeo. Juliet is ready to make a commitment with Romeo to get married, which shoes she truly cares about him.
Romeo and the Nurse are the only people who care about Juliet. They are always there for her, especially the Nurse, and love her. Romeo ran away just to go to her balcony. He is giving up his name, because of the family feud for Juliet. She means everything to him. The nurse, however was there her entire life. She nurtured Juliet, and acted as her mother her entire life. Juliet is all the Nurse has because her husband and daughter died, so Juliet is like a daughter

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason V | 10 comments I think that the characters that honestly care about Romeo are Juliet, Benvolio, and Lady Montegue. Juliet is in love with Romeo and is willing to change her name or even die just to be with him. Benvolio cares about his cousin Romeo because throughout the story he has been trying to help Romeo forget about about Rosaline and move on to a new women. Lady Montegue also cares about Romeo because romeo is her son. In the beggining of the story Lady Montegue says that she was glad romeo was not at the fight. That showed me that she cared for him and didnt want him to get hurt.

message 8: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Choi | 6 comments Juliet and the Friar obviously care about Romeo. Juliet loves Romeo so she would have to love Romeo and care for him, in the scene where Romeo is outside her window she is afraid that he will Get caught and be put to the death. Reading you would have to asume that Juliet loves and cares for Romeo, but she also has the obligation of being a nun in progress type heart and mind she is so innocent and kind that it is her inttinct to bew kind hearted. the friar also cares about the well being of the Capulets and the Montagues because he doesnt like the violence, but also like Juliet he is obligated to be kind to romeo and helpful.