The Alchemist The Alchemist discussion

What's next

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Amalzd Zeineddine Diab I am a big fan of Paulo Coelho. i like the kind of books he write. his books shows you possibilities, a different way to see life and helps strongly with self improvements.
the problem is that after finishing his books, i have no idea what to read next? i need help with names of similar books. any idea???

message 2: by M (new) - rated it 3 stars

M i havent read the rest of his books, although they are at the top of my list...what i have read and liked that are similar would be books by dan millman, brene brown, and james redfield? (the celestine prophecy, etc.) hope that helps!

Amalzd Zeineddine Diab i will search for those, i hope to find them satisfying and enjoyable. thanks for the help

message 4: by Eva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva Try with Jorge Bucay....He is really good!

Amalzd Zeineddine Diab i will sure do, still searching!!! thx for the interest

Jason Lilly Not sure how accurate this is, but try this out:
http://www.literature-map.com/
When you type the name of an author, it will give you a graphic with names of similar authors. The closest names to the one you typed are the most similar.

Amalzd Zeineddine Diab that is a new idea, never heard of something similar before, but loved the idea. thanks alot

Kelly Flanagan The literature map is AWESOME! ALL the women here are using it to find more books to their liking and it is now bookmarked on all 5 computers here, lol!
Thanks for the tip!

message 9: by Sam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sam LOVING the literature map! Thanks for the advice, so helpful and bookmarked.

Amalzd Zeineddine Diab isn't it!!!! definitely bookmarked

Jason Lilly You're welcome. Glad to be of service. So who wants to send me free books for my kindness? Just kidding.

Markoduke Dukic If you liked literature-map then check out http://www.YourNextRead.com . They just launched something called MyMap which gives you recommendations, and you can import your Goodreads books...

message 13: by Dean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dean I have read a few of Coelho's books and, in my opinion, the Alchemist is easily the best. It encapsulates his style as well as his ideas of alternative living. After reading it and moving on to different novels of his, such as the Zahir, I found myself reading the same ideas in the same style but not quite as well presented. For me, all the richness of Coelho is found in the Alchemist, making a great book but also making it a disappointment to read his other works.

Elizabeth La Lettrice Thanks for the links!

Deborah Jaeger Paulo Coelho inspires...After reading the introduction to "The Alchemist" I immediately sat down and began what turned out to be the first draft of my first novel, "Prophecy the Fulfillment"!

He has a blog on Facebook that is also inspiring:

Tears are words that need to be written « Paulo Coelho's Blog
paulocoelhoblog.com

It's like a gift when a message from him pops up on your facebook page!!

I hope you will check it out!

message 16: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I also reread "The Alchemist" with my life and dreams in mind, and it's just amazing. I just finished his other book "Veronika Decides to Die", and it was FANTASTIC to read right after Alchemist.
It's about a young, fairly normal woman, who decides she hates life, and attempts suicide. When she awakens, she's told she's going to die in a short period of time, and there the journey inside herself begins. It's good book of his to read after Alchemist, because it's even more human, and as a woman, I appreciated her perspective.
I would also recommend reading some of Isabel Allende's earlier works after Coelho. She is also very earthy and intuitive, and I find their stories and allegories similar, and also comforting.

Happy reading!! Thanks for all of the ideas!

message 17: by Jon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jon Sati, by: Christopher Pike
words cannot describe the feeling I got from this book.

message 18: by Zuzi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zuzi Amalzd, read the Aleph by Coelho. It's out now, and just as good as the Alchemist. Enjoy!
I also reacommend to read Shambhala, the Sacred Path of the Warrior by Chogyam Trungpa.

Amalzd wrote: "I am a big fan of Paulo Coelho. i like the kind of books he write. his books shows you possibilities, a different way to see life and helps strongly with self improvements.
the problem is that af..."

Meseret Fikru Amalzd wrote: "I am a big fan of Paulo Coelho. i like the kind of books he write. his books shows you possibilities, a different way to see life and helps strongly with self improvements.
the problem is that af..."

Go for Brida

Andreas Johanes I like his book. Inspirationally and I can learn more than I need from his book. Colorfully.

Andreas Johanes Alchemist is the best book i have ever read. Amazing.

Jalilah For me the Alchemist is Coelho's best book, but I also loved The Valkyries and Veronika Decides to Die
The subject matter for By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept is very interesting, but it is not as well written. I could not get into The Witch of Portobello at all.

message 23: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Dean wrote: "I have read a few of Coelho's books and, in my opinion, the Alchemist is easily the best. It encapsulates his style as well as his ideas of alternative living. After reading it and moving on to dif..."
I loved The Alchemist so I bought Aleph, but haven't read it yet...I hope it gives me the same "good vibes" as Alchemist...

message 24: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Markoduke wrote: "If you liked literature-map then check out http://www.YourNextRead.com . They just launched something called MyMap which gives you recommendations, and you can import your Goodreads books..."

This is a great site to find more books by your favorite author! Thanks!

message 25: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Jason wrote: "Not sure how accurate this is, but try this out:
http://www.literature-map.com/
When you type the name of an author, it will give you a graphic with names of similar authors. The closest names t..."

This is so awesome! I have it bookmarked and will tell all my "bookish" friends about it!

Addina This is my first book about philosophy when I was teenager. What a wonderful book!
I want to read more book like this. Thanks for the information!

Monica I must be in the minority about this book because I thought it was a tedious read. But read Molakai