Buddhist discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Nominations for April

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (last edited Feb 28, 2011 12:54AM) (new)

Amanda We've barely started March's book, yet it is already time for everyone to nominate a book for April!

Please link the book you are nominating and feel free to re-nominate your book if it wasn't picked last time. Nominations end 6th March and polling will take place from 7th-13th March.

message 2: by Gary (new)

Gary | 8 comments forgiveness by thich nhat hanh
confessions of an atheist by stephen bachelor

p s
(am always more than happy to answer questions or criticism regarding complete idiot's guide to buddhism)

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 10 comments The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching by Thich Nhat Hanh
Meeting Faith by Faith Adiele

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark (run_spot_run) Real Happiness by Sharon Salzberg
http://www.sharonsalzberg.com/books-a...

message 5: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Mark wrote: "Real Happiness by Sharon Salzberg
http://www.sharonsalzberg.com/books-a..."

I have been wanting to read this since I saw that Tricycle was doing it in their book club as well as the 28 day sitting challenge that's in the book.

message 6: by Blynnk (new)

Blynnk | 9 comments I would like to nominate another Sharon Salzberg book:
Lovingkindness the Revolutionary Art of Happiness

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Could we all link the books we wish to nominate to ensure we're all looking at the right one? I've managed to find:

Confession of a Buddhist Atheist by Stephen Batchelor
The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching by Thich Nhat Hanh
Meeting Faith: The Forest Journals of A Black Buddhist Nun by Faith Adiele
Real Happiness by Sharon Salzberg
Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness by Sharon Salzberg

Sorry Gary, but I could not find Forgiveness by Thich Nhat Hanh.

I'd like to nominate The Telling by Ursula K. Le Guin for fiction. Apparently it does not explicitly mention Buddhism, but does make reference to Dharma and the Tao. I've not read it, but it sounds like it might be an appropriate choice for generating some discussion if people don't mind a little Sci-Fi?

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Ok, I now have:

Confession of a Buddhist Atheist by Stephen Batchelor
The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching by Thich Nhat Hanh
Meeting Faith: The Forest Journals of A Black Buddhist Nun by Faith Adiele
Real Happiness by Sharon Salzberg
Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness by Sharon Salzberg
The Telling by Ursula K. Le Guin
Cave in the Snow: Tenzin Palmo's Quest for Enlightenment by Vicki Mackenzie

Lots of facinating nominations again. I'm especially interested in Emily's Meeting Faith and Ashley's Cave in the Snow. I guess I'm in a biographical mood!

Regarding the Dhammapada, there are so many translations and it would be best if we were all looking at the same version, perhaps there is an adequate downloadable version? Any suggestions on this? Also, it might be a bit intense to read and discuss as a Book Club book, but perhaps there is another way of approaching it. Maybe we could post up a saying a day for everyone to discuss? I'd be grateful for any feedback.

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily Regarding approaching the Dhammapada in small chunks, I'm in another great Goodreads group, Open Mind, Open Heart where the group does the same thing with verses of The Tao Teh Ching (Wayne Dyer's translation). It works pretty well if someone posts a verse for discussion every few days. :)

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Emily wrote: "Regarding approaching the Dhammapada in small chunks, I'm in another great Goodreads group, Open Mind, Open Heart where the group does the same thing with verses of The Tao Teh Ching..."

Oh wow. I didn't know there was a Taoist group on Goodreads, thats really interesting to know! If the process works for the Tao, I'm sure we can apply the same principle to the Dhammapada too.

message 13: by Mark (new)

Mark (run_spot_run) I also became aware of Real Happiness through Tricycle and was disappointed I came too late for their read of it.

Kristi wrote: "Mark wrote: "Real Happiness by Sharon Salzberg
http://www.sharonsalzberg.com/books-a..."

I have been wanting to read this since I saw that Tricycle was doing it in their book club as well ..."

message 14: by Mark (new)

Mark (run_spot_run) The Accidental Buddhist by Dinty Moore
http://www.writtenword.com/the-accide...

message 15: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Mark wrote: "The Accidental Buddhist by Dinty Moore
http://www.writtenword.com/the-accide..."

that's a good book! I read it when I was first interested in Buddhism and it was a great read.

message 17: by Mark (new)

Mark (run_spot_run) Tricycle Magazine - www.tricycle.com

message 18: by Emily (new)

Emily Amanda wrote: "Emily wrote: "Regarding approaching the Dhammapada in small chunks, I'm in another great Goodreads group, Open Mind, Open Heart where the group does the same thing with verses of The Tao Teh Chin..."

It's more of a spiritual mishmash group, which I appreciate: a little Taoism, a little Buddhism, a little New Age. :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.