SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

RIP: Dead/Expired Threads > Buddy Read: "A Taste of Night" by Vicki Pettersson *May Contain Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 131 (131 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments AH & I will be reading The Taste of Night together in March. :D

The Taste of Night (Signs of the Zodiac, #2) by Vicki Pettersson

message 2: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments AH, you're in Canada, yah? What time zone are you in?

message 3: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments I'm in the Eastern Time Zone. How many hours apart are we?

Let's target a date to start, otherwise shiny new books will distract me. How about around March 10 (subject to change and your convenience?)

message 4: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Feb 28, 2011 04:42AM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments That makes us 14 hours apart - me ahead of you.

I hear ya! This buddy read is probably the only reason it'll be reading it in March. :)

The 10th works for me. With the time difference, I'll shoot to start on the 11th and that'll be the 10th for you.

If somethin' purdier catches your eye and ya want to change dates, just holler.

message 5: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments I saw we're on the same Bingo team. I wonder if we can slot this book in a Bingo category?

message 6: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments I'm sure it'll be in one of the shelf lists. Just a matter of wait and see. Wanna do that instead? Either way works for me. I think I only have it in yearly challenges, so there's really no time rush for me to get it read.

message 7: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments That would probably give me more incentive to finish it.

message 8: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments LOL! Sounds good. :)

If you spot it on a shelf list and want to read together, just pop back here and let me know.

And, Yay! We're in the same team! Hope you'll enjoy the game. It's good book fun.

message 9: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments Steph, are you interested in starting this one some time this week or next?

message 10: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments Surely, just let me know which day and I'm in. :)

message 11: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments Do you want to try for this weekend?

message 12: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments I tend to have more time to read during the week vs the weekend. But, if you start on Sunday, that'll be Monday for me. That, I could do.

Would that work for you?

message 13: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments Sunday works for me.

message 14: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Mar 16, 2011 04:47AM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments Cool! Post here when you've started and I'll post as soon as I do. We'll get our read on. :)

message 15: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments Hi, AH. Still on for reading this one tomorrow? If so, I'm going to use it as my 'paranormal' bingo book. Two birds, one stone. :)

Let me know if we're still on.

message 16: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments Still on. I'll use it too. Did we get a new book shelf? I don't seem to be getting all my email.

message 17: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments LOL! Yep, posted late last night (my time). Sounds good. I'll use it for my bingo book and start reading it after I finish my current read (less than 25% left).

Any particular way you wanna post updates? Comment every couple of chapters or just random cheerleading? hehe

message 18: by AH (last edited Mar 20, 2011 05:39AM) (new)

AH | 2271 comments I usually comment randomly on things I see. Some books I comment a lot, others don't seem to call the comments out. I'm sure I'll have a lot to say on this book as the premise is rather unique in the paranormal world. I'll probably start it later on today as I just got into Hunting Ground and it is going very quickly for me. Love that Charles!

message 19: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments By the way, are you safe where you are? Are you far enough away?

message 20: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments I love that series! Anxious for #3 later this year. :) Enjoy!

Yeah, I'm the same. So, I'll pop in throughout the morning (probably won't post much if I read any tonight) and post some stuff.

Thanks! Yeah, we're safe here (on Okinawa) for now. I'd imagine we'll stay safe since we're about 900 miles South of Fukushima. Sad, Fukushima means "good-fortune island" ~ they aren't having much of that lately.

message 21: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments Good to hear that you are safe.

When does book 3 come out?

message 22: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments August, I think. At least, last I checked. Fair Game ... holy crap! Now it's saying Jan '12. :( Waaaah. Oh well, next year then.

message 23: by AH (last edited Mar 20, 2011 08:01AM) (new)

AH | 2271 comments OK, I finished chapter 1. I was annoyed by all of the fashion references, but aside from that, a good start to the book. I love Olivia/Jo's snarkiness and my favorite line so far has been:

"I'm taking the scenic route to superherodom."

message 24: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments I'm starting now, AH. Didn't get to it last night. Had you wanted me to stop at any particular spot? Or just read till I need/want to stop for the day? Ck'd your progress updates. Good to see it's good so far. :)

message 25: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments Just read what you want. I don't want to stop you at an exciting part. I'm almost finished Hunting Ground, so I'll be getting to this later on tonight. I'll check where you are in the book so I don't spoil things.

message 26: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments 3% - "I mean ... You are a real Shadow, aren't you? Not just some rogue agent looking to score brownie points with the local troop?" {O/J} "I'm more real than most of the breasts in this room." {Liam} Good one, Mr. Baddie :)

message 27: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments AH wrote: "Just read what you want. I don't want to stop you at an exciting part. I'm almost finished Hunting Ground, so I'll be getting to this later on tonight. I'll check where you are in the book so I don..."

Ok. I'll just keep reading until I get bored or need a break. I'll use spoiler tags, if I get very far.

Enjoy the rest of HG! :)

message 28: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments 6% Chapter 3 - so far, so good. Guards' banter about chimps got a snicker. :)

message 29: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments 11% Chapter 4 - at least she admits when she's done something making her TSTL. Gotta give her points for that.

message 30: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments Starting to read now.

message 31: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments Gotta thank the author for giving me some interesting new words to learn. LOL! Thank goodness for Stanza's built-in dictionary, making learning those words super convenient too.

WOD #1: "Bacchanalia" n. A drunken feast; drunken revels; an orgy

message 32: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments AH wrote: "Starting to read now."

:)

message 33: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments 12% Chapter 5 - "If people were food, Cher and her mother would be dessert. Their thought processes were about as dense ad powdered sugar, their lives as airy as angel food cake."

:) Poor Jo having to play BFF with someone so different from her. Least Cher really cares(d) for Olivia though.

message 34: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments LOL! "Cellulite waits for no ass." Don't I know it!

message 35: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments 15% (view spoiler)

message 36: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments Just reached Chapter 6. Taking a mini-break to let my iTouch charge up and grab some brekkie. :)

message 37: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments Steph wrote: "LOL! "Cellulite waits for no ass." Don't I know it!"

LOL!

message 38: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments I've reached Chapter 4. I can't believe how much stuff I had forgotten. What are you calling our heroine? I've started calling her OJ for short. Interesting conversation with Regan. That was unexpected. And what's with the tasting of OJ's lips?

message 39: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments Judithe wrote: "Steph wrote: "LOL! "Cellulite waits for no ass." Don't I know it!"

LOL!"

That should be on a bumper sticker.

message 40: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Mar 20, 2011 06:07PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments I'm back. Sorry, gotta caught up playing word search on my iPad. :) I love this thing!!

LOL! Don't ya love that quote?! Definitely good bumper sticker saying.

I have no idea about the semi-kiss? Strange. Very interested to see what'll come of that meeting.

Back to the book. :)

PS: Judithe, we need to do a buddy read sometime. Esp since we're on the same time. :)

message 41: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments 16% Chapter 6 - {OJ, I'll use that too, it's fitting, asks Carl what's up with his hair. He asks what she thinks of it} "I think you look like the spawn of Satan." {Carl} "Yeah, and you still look like my brother's favorite blowup doll." :)

message 42: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23897 comments This is sounding very intriguing!

message 43: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments 18% Man, can I have a room like that? Fireplace, overstuffed chairs and stacks of books? Pretty please?

message 44: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments Ooooo, missing manual of the beginning and the recipe to kill the Tulpa. And we got ourselves a new mission, boys and girls. :)

And, what kid says bequeathed? None I know.

message 45: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments 19% Cool (view spoiler)

message 46: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments Go, Jasmine, get cha beast on!

message 47: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments {Carl} "...even if the agent is too stupid to protect themselves." {OJ} "Hey! How was I supposed to know he'd rush me?" {Carl} "Joaquin. Enemy. Duh." Yeah, stupid, girl. LOL!

message 48: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments Sandra wrote: "This is sounding very intriguing!"

Not bad, actually. I'm a bit surprised to tell ya the truth. Happily, though. :)

message 49: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments WOD #2: "kibitzing"
intr.v. kib·itzed, kib·itz·ing, kib·itz·es Informal
1. To look on and offer unwanted, usually meddlesome advice to others.
2. To chat; converse.

message 50: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments WOD #3: "shillelagh"
shil·le·lagh also shil·la·lah (sh -l l , -l ). n. A cudgel, club made of oak

« previous 1 3