Movies We've Just Watched discussion

2011 Academy Awards, etc.

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phillip (last edited Feb 27, 2011 10:40PM) (new)

Phillip | 10498 comments Hey Folks,

I didn't see a general thread for Oscars, so I started a new one...

Here is a link to the list of winners this year. Feel free to comment if you feel the urge.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/entertainme...

yay natalie!

message 2: by Steve (new)

Steve | 957 comments I've seen none of the major winners, but I watched a little bit of the show. I like Franco and Hathaway, but they were mostly terrible, probably not fit for hosting something like that.

message 3: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina That Anne Hathaway is a bundle of energy . . she looked like she was having a blast up there. I couldn't stay up though - so only watched until 10pm. I thought Franco was a little stiff, but they really didn't give him many great lines . . .just my thought.

I have not had an opportunity to see ANY of the movies (yet!!), but am glad that Colin Firth and Natalie Portman won - they are excellent actors. I know I shouldn't say that considering I haven't seen them in The King's Speech and The Black Swan, but I'm just being a little partial to my favorites.

message 4: by Steve (new)

Steve | 957 comments You are correct, Sabrina, in that the writing was generally very bad.

message 5: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5311 comments A very strange evening. They dispensed with a lot of the time-wasters from the past, like that boring device of having past Oscar winners individually praise each of the acting nominees, and the musical numbers were at a minimum. The show seemed to be designed to move along pretty swiftly, for the most part. The only real planned drag on the proceedings was Billy Crystal's appearance and homage to Bob Hope (what the hell was that, anyway?). If that goddamn Kirk Douglas hadn't brought the whole thing to a halt so early, the show would have ended on time.

Ms. Hathaway did her very best, I thought, and Franco was very appealing when not looking stoned. He had this weird look on his face throughout most of it, he kept leaning back with this frozen smile as if a very zealous fan was shoving an autograph book in his face.

There wasn't much going on awards-wise either. The awards went pretty much exactly where they were expected to go, which didn't make for a suspenseful evening. A yawn.

message 6: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina LOL - Tom, it's so true about Franco . . .he did have the squinty eyed look about him. I saw him being interviewed in the preshow and he looked great, then stiff (and squinty eyed) during the show. :( Maybe he was overly nervous ;-).

I forgot about Kirk Douglas. Wasn't that awful? I don't mean to discredit him as an actor or man, but there should be a point where you no longer grace the tv. screen. I felt sorry for him and it was painful to watch.

message 7: by Mahreen (new)

Mahreen | 4 comments Steve-O wrote: "I've seen none of the major winners, but I watched a little bit of the show. I like Franco and Hathaway, but they were mostly terrible, probably not fit for hosting something like that."
I agree, as much as I like both as actors they seem to force to me.

message 8: by Mahreen (new)

Mahreen | 4 comments Sabrina wrote: "That Anne Hathaway is a bundle of energy . . she looked like she was having a blast up there. I couldn't stay up though - so only watched until 10pm. I thought Franco was a little stiff, but they..."

I watched The king´s Speech and Black Swan and both deserved the Oscar without any doubt.

message 9: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 469 comments I thought this year's Oscar telecast was less lame than usual. I know many people hated the cohost thing, but I kind of liked Anne Hathaway and I liked Franco a lot more than I thought I would. They both presented the Oscars with an energy previous shows lacked.
I saw Billy Crystal walk on stage and I was expecting a few on point jokes; instead we saw that awkward montage of Bob Hope footage. As much as I love Oscar history, I was very disappointed with this segment.

The show seemed faster paced than usual (thank God) and as much as I love Kirk Douglas, it was actually kind of painful to watch him on the stage. It was probably an idea that looked good on paper, but it just made everyone wince in discomfort.

Yes I agree with Tom, I am also glad they got rid of that tedious moment when each actor/actress is introduced by a blast from the past actor.

For once, the Oscars made me want to go out and see more movies.

message 10: by ???!!! (new)

???!!! | 11 comments I have to agree with Tom. I thought Franco was horrible. It's like he didn't know how to react so he just paste that smile whenever possible. And what was trying to be Marilyn Monroe? Ouch!

I like Ann though. I enjoyed her very much when she was with Hugh Jackman at the Oscar 2009. Some people just have all the talents.

I pretty much saw every Oscar Movies before the Oscar. It's my to-do list. So I get to really know how all the candidates performed and how much I like or don't like about them. Even though the awards were a little predictable but it's not meant to be a thriller movie.

message 11: by Sooz (new)

Sooz has anyone seen In A Better World, winner of best foreign film?

message 12: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10498 comments nope :(

message 13: by Crazypiggyhk (new)

Crazypiggyhk | 1 comments The King's Speech is one of the best movie I had come across in a long time. Everyone in it were amazing. I fall in love with Colin Firth right there and then. Must own it in DVD. Go see it if you haven't.

message 14: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone (28daysearlier) | 118 comments Franco was awful. He had a script but didn't get his character. He is a typical example of many of the new actors. He can play a part but is a personal void. The script obviously didn't him his character motivations.

message 15: by Rebecca (last edited Mar 06, 2011 08:08AM) (new)

Rebecca I didn't think the Awards were totally awful, but they weren't good either. Anne Hathaway's song about Aussies/Hugh Jackman was kinda funny

message 16: by ???!!! (new)

???!!! | 11 comments Alex wrote: "I'm glad the King's Speech won on the grounds that it's British and includes HBC, but I still haven't seen it, so I can't say more than that. I was a bit disappointed with Inception winning mostly ..."

Why do you need to decide which one to see when all of them are good? I have to say that Natalie fully deserve to win the Oscar. Other actresses didn't seem to shine that much. Don't get me wrong, of course they are all wonderful, just that, The Black Swan is so powerful that it seems that she is the only one you could remember if you need to list all the nominees for best actresses.

message 17: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5311 comments I remember Jennifer Lawrence's brilliant performance in the excellent Oscar-worthy WINTER'S BONE far more than I remember poor little Natalie Portman in that pathetic gimmick-fest BLACK SWAN.

message 18: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10498 comments i liked natalie in black swan, but i was (secretly?) hoping that jennifer lawrence would win for winter's bone - a wonderful film that surprised me greatly. i've seen it three times now and loved it every time.

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Tom wrote: "I remember Jennifer Lawrence's brilliant performance in the excellent Oscar-worthy WINTER'S BONE far more than I remember poor little Natalie Portman in that pathetic gimmick-fest BLACK SWAN."

I agree!

message 20: by Liz (new)

Liz Castaneda | 4 comments I had big hopes for this show this year seeing that they had two young hosts and I was I left very disappointed the whole thing was just weird from James Franco to Michael Douglas and the speeches were worse than ever the only parts I enjoyed were all of Anne's dresses (I loved every one of them) Collin Firth and Natalie Portman's wins. Natalie's speech was the only one I did not mute. I have to say that Anne was looking too thin.

message 21: by Egypt (new)

Egypt Sadly because I was in Greece I didn't see the Oscars but I was very happy with most all the winners. I was pleased with all of the small ones. Sad Tangled didn't win best song but I understood why

message 22: by Fred (new)

Fred Cohen | 1 comments One of the best Oscar nominated films this year was, Incendies, the Canadian film from Quebec. Without giving any spoilers away, it deals with a brother and sister, who try to find out about their mothers past. Well worth seeing !

message 23: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I just LOVED it when Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law got on stage. They acted like they were still in their Sherlock Holmes characters (loved that movie, btw). That's about the only thing I remember about the show, the rest of it wasn't all that fun, I thought.

St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures ||| ♥ Zin Uru ♥ |||| | 482 comments i was a bit excited that it was going to be a huge show, with the new hosts...and mmm let's just say it was a bit dull. James F looked like he wanted to be somewhere else , Anne H looked stunning with all her costume changes and bubbled and giggled really nicely however Franco (a pity) didn't seem up to all the glamour and glitz she was throwing around and sort of just clammed up and froze up on something. A bit disappointed cos I liked his comic bits earlier. Guess I can live with that..

I am surprised no one not even Tom has commented on the British invason, was it just me who noticed it or were all the last hour honours going for the English. I missed the beginning of the show so didn't catch American talent being rewarded or awarded. Doesn't really matter (don't even care) cos I may not even get to watch a lot of the movies nominated.

I wouldn't quite remember who won if not for the

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Andrea wrote: "I just LOVED it when Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law got on stage. They acted like they were still in their Sherlock Holmes characters (loved that movie, btw). That's about the only thing I remember..."

I just adore Robert Downey Jr. I liked him as an actor in the 80;s and 90's. Was so happy when he turned his life around. Then when I saw Iron Man I was in love *sigh* Loved him in Sherlock Holmes :)

message 26: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Melissa wrote: "Andrea wrote: "I just LOVED it when Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law got on stage. They acted like they were still in their Sherlock Holmes characters (loved that movie, btw). That's about the only t..."

Same here :) I especially liked him on Ally McBeal *sigh* Wish they hadn't fired him... But I'm glad he made such a great comeback. And I'm really excited about the second Sherlock Holmes :) Too bad we have to wait so long for that. And I'm guessing it'll take even longer to be released in Germany...

message 27: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10498 comments goodreads friends - don't click on posts by the "other george" - spam - spywear - hacking - you don't need it. i have flagged these posts.

message 28: by Marie (new)

Marie Cauley (writerchickmarie) | 1 comments Saw The King's Speech and it completely deserves all of the honors it received. It was so intriguing that I had to read the book by Mark Logue (Lionel's grandson) right after I saw it. Colin Firth, who is amazing in everything he does, totally blew me away as King George VI and I really wish Geoffrey Rush had won an Oscar as well.

message 29: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 314 comments Oscars were.....entertaining this year.
THINGS I LIKED:]

King's Speech WON! Excellent movie. Really loved. And Geoffery Rush was robbed pennyless.

I really enjoyed Florence Welch's preformance of If I Rise, from 127 Hours. Beautiful voice.

Anne's Aussie song was somewhat funny.

Randy Newman's acceptance speech. He was funny.

Cate Blanchett was a welcome change from the lackluster presenters. She sounded somewhat regal as she read and it was much better than most other presenters stumbling through.

RDJ and Jude Law were funny, and again, a nice change.

I loved watching Tim Burton and Helena Bonham Carter sitting with each other winning all their awardsy things. If there's any Hollywood couple I have the room to care about, it's them. Both have inspired me in directing in acting.

Alice In Wonderland got a little love. While not one of the best movies of the year, it was still fairly good.

THINGS I DID NOT LIKE:

Geoffery Rush got robbed by what's his face (I totally forgot)

Gwenyth Paltrow singing. Dear Lord, may that woman never stumble a live stage again.

Kirk. That was painful to watch. I'm sorry. It just was....

I honestly believe Franco was on some illegal substance. Hathaway was just ok (unintentional rhyme)

Best Score should have been the King's Speech. TSN works only with the film. I don't really care for it out of context. The King's Speech is fun to listen to while just doing other stuff.

message 30: by Rarietty (last edited Mar 27, 2011 06:43AM) (new)

Rarietty | 6 comments Egypt wrote: "Sadly because I was in Greece I didn't see the Oscars but I was very happy with most all the winners. I was pleased with all of the small ones. Sad Tangled didn't win best song but I understood why"

I know. I really found the rest of the awards predictable, but thatone wasn't. It in my opinion was the best Disney movie in terms of music ever since Mulan. That song is beautiful. I think it was just because it went against Toy Story 3, which isn't fair. It's BEST SONG.

For best picture, I've only seen a few of the movies (TS3, The Social Network...) so I had no opinion on that, but I did like Anne as host.