Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > What's happening at the Academy Awards and what do you think about that?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17322 comments Mod
I'm not seeing any of this until the highlights tomorrow. Fill me in, please!

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Be glad you didn't see Kirk Douglas. He would chase you through your nightmares.

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

He is a sad, old man.

Married to a beautiful woman.

message 4: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11626 comments Who is Kirk Douglas married to?**

**first one to say "Mrs. Douglas" gets smacked!

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I think she mean Michael Douglas who is married to:

message 6: by Félix (last edited Feb 27, 2011 08:25PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Anne Hathaway, James Franco Spend Every Moment Of Oscars Tearing Into Jesse Eisenberg

http://www.theonion.com/articles/anne...

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Meh.

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Meh, Gail?

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Just a general Meh pointed randomly at the Oscars, Anne Hathaway, Michael Douglas's wife and anyone else who happens to get in my firing line.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori Why did they have Kirk there? Well, at least he was having a good time, but I think he was the ONLY one having fun during his portion. To think he was Sparticus.

That was one of the most boring Oscars I've ever seen. And what is with Franco? He never even looked at Ann. Bring back Billy Crystal please!

Colin, as always, was adorable.

When they showed Harvey Weinstein I almost vomited. (I used to work at Miramax, the man is a pig!)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

'Meh' is not pointed at Colin ::sigh::.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments It was a bit dull, but I did love Colin. I really wanted to see him do a bit of dancing, though.

I think they were trying to be the "young and hip" Oscars, which made the whole Kirk Douglas thing a bit mystifying.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Why are we not talking about clothes? Jennifer Lawrence. Curves. Whew.

http://www.courtneyluv.com/wp-content...

I didn't watch much.

message 14: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I only saw a little. I can't stand awards shows. From the dresses I did see, there wasn't much I didn't like. I thought Annette Benning and Cate Blanchett were the worst. I didn't like Nicole Kidman's dress, either.

But they weren't horrible.

I did see some of Kirk Douglas. That was just wrong.

message 15: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) @ Lori "Bring back Billy Crystal please!"
I think he was one of the few highlights of the show. I would LOVE to see Hugh Jackman or Neil Patrick Harris host again. I thought they both great. This Oscars was very vanilla. Franco and Hathaway were more entertaining in the commercials for the show. They just didn't work for me.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Hathaway was decent, but Franco had no energy at all. That laid back thing is his style, so I don't see why they thought he'd be good for this. The young-and-hip jokes were so forced. One of them was stolen directly from Saturday Night Live (the one where he pretended to have an issue with the scandalous title of Winter's Bone). The autotuned musical moment was just weird. The opening skit was decent though - Alec Baldwin! - and Anne Hathaway's musical number was weird but better than most of the nominated songs.

message 17: by Lori (new)

Lori Yeah Sarah I agree. Franco was a wrong choice for sure. Hathaway had energy, and seemed genuine, I ended up liking her. And wow, was I surprised she can sing so well.

message 18: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments The funniest part was Ann Hathaway singing that song about Hugh Jackman. I felt sorry for poor Kirk Douglas. He should have had a partner to keep him "on point". But younger people don''t watch TV. They are too busy playing video games, talking/texting on their cells, playing sports, on the 'net. Young parents are too busy putting their kids to bed then cleaning up after them.

message 19: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Sometimes, when Michele makes hilariously broad generalizations about groups of people, well, I don't know what to do.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Michele wrote: "The funniest part was Ann Hathaway singing that song about Hugh Jackman. I felt sorry for poor Kirk Douglas. He should have had a partner to keep him "on point". But younger people don''t watch TV...."

Mindy and I were chatting about how it felt like a good deal of the show was aimed at a demographic that was a good deal younger than us. I think Kirk Douglas and Bob Hope were meant to be the counterbalance.
I think the Kirk Douglas thing was hard to watch because you spent the whole time he was on stage worried that he was going to say or do something bad. He actually didn't (ok, other than copping a feel as they walked off the stage) and I think he was kind of funny if you take away the awkwardness.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I guess in between are the people who tune in for the fashion, the glamorous stars, the speeches, the actual awards and the chance to snark about it all?

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Oh, I was agreeing. They aimed all the jokes at under twenty and over seventy, and assumed everyone in the middle would tune in anyway.

message 23: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Why are we not talking about clothes? Jennifer Lawrence. Curves. Whew.

http://www.courtneyluv.com/wp-content...

I didn't watch much."

She's got a killer bod but I didn't love that dress. It didn't seem dressy enough for the Oscars.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Five highlights of the broadcast:
1)Colin Firth's speech, though I was rooting for him to break out the threatened dance moves.

2)Melissa Leo's speech.

3)That first skit with Alec Baldwin and all the Inception stuff

4)The Inside Job director's jab at wall street and all of the technical winners who gave shout outs to their unions.

5)The kids singing at the end, and then the winners coming back out and Melissa Leo belting it out along with them.

Five low points:
1)The lack of a score montage, with or without interpretive dance. The scores were fantastic and deserved some notice.
2)That awful auto-tune pandering to the Twilight lovers
3)James Franco, who I normally like, was just too chill
4)the songs. I like Randy Newman, but that was nothing special, and the others were all worse.
5)nothing really exciting...

message 25: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I loved the dress Mila Kunis wore. Even though when I first saw it from far away I thought she had tattoos on her breasts.

description

message 26: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments Michele wrote: " I felt sorry for poor Kirk Douglas. He should have had a partner to keep him "on point"

Frankly, the producers should be prosecuted for elder abuse.

message 27: by Pat (last edited Feb 28, 2011 10:39AM) (new)

Pat (patb37) I didn't watch the show, but I was highly amused by the frequent and snarky comments on my Twitter feed. It was like sitting in the back of the classroom listening to the class clowns.

message 28: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I really liked Scarlett Johansen's dress too but I can't find a good picture. The colors didn't look great on the red carpet. I hate the stupid red carpet. I wish it were a more flattering color.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I thought that she had tattoos too, Smetch.

Pat, I had fun checking in on the facebook feeds and the AVclub's liveblog. One of my facebook friends nearly got himself deleted, though. He kept snarking about the wrong things.

message 30: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Damn! I have a twitter account but I always forget about it during live events like that. And that's when it's the best!

message 31: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Scarlett Johansen had weird hair.

message 32: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Scarlett Johansen had weird hair."

yes, the face didn't go with the dress.

message 33: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I was annoyed that most of the dresses were beige/nude/gold colored. Also, there was too much sparkle for my taste.

message 34: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Scarlett Johansen had weird hair."

I often dislike fancy-dress-hair so I just try not to look at it.

message 35: by Lori (last edited Feb 28, 2011 11:59AM) (new)

Lori RandomAnthony wrote: "Scarlett Johansen had weird hair."

Yes she did. It might be a bad cut, but she could have at least brushed it!

message 36: by Sally, la reina (new)

RandomAnthony wrote: "Sometimes, when Michele makes hilariously broad generalizations about groups of people, well, I don't know what to do."

I snicker, chuckle, and occasionally guffaw.

message 37: by Sally, la reina (new)

There was a picture in the Denver Post this morning of Scarlett smiling a weird open mouthed grin that made her look weirdly methy and ungroomed.

message 38: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Feb 28, 2011 11:42AM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments

Marisa Tomei looks beautiful, I thought Natalie Portman looked amazing in that plum dress - soooo much better than the pink one she wore to the Golden Globes, Amy Adams looked very good in blue but what's with the green jewelry?, and Scarlett was a mess.

I'm sorry, Scarlett is a beautiful woman, but the dress was bad with the lace cut out business, and her hair just looked messy in a bad way.

message 39: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments natalie portman looked better than she's done in months. same goes for amy adams, but she should have ditched that necklace.

message 40: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Do you think Marisa Tomei goes to these Oscars events and thinks that maybe everyone thinks she didn't deserve her Oscar?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I think Marisa no longer has anything to prove after her role in The Wrestler.

Hilary Swank needed a necklace or earrings, or a less severe hairstyle with her dress, which wasn't terrible, although I didn't care for the feathers:

[image error]

Speaking of feathers...

Was Sharon Stone trying to channel the Black Swan, maybe?

message 42: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments swank does look a bit naked, apart from the dress, like she's dressed but not yet accessorized.

message 43: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments mick jagger showed up at the vanity fair oscar party wearing something wrinkled and satiny that looks like a suit:

and you neighbor's kid's shoes.

message 44: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments everyone who's got a girl crush on eva mendes, look away now.

message 45: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24149 comments Mod
RandomAnthony wrote: "Scarlett Johansen had weird hair."

Caption writers call this "bedhead" hair.

message 46: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

janine wrote: "mick jagger showed up at the vanity fair oscar party wearing something wrinkled and satiny that looks like a suit:

and you neighbor's kid's shoes."

Oh shudder. Him and his date.

message 47: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Natalie Portman looked fabulous. Halle Berry always looks the same. Reese Witherspoon looked very boring. (I didn't watch, I'm just looking at all the red carpet photos.)

Jennifer Lawrence's dress seemed to be adapted from a Baywatch lifeguard swimsuit.

message 48: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I have nothing against Jennifer Hudson's dress, I just don't understand her boobs. They seem impossibly high for a woman who has lost a ton of weight. Are they totally reconstructed?

message 49: by Jammies (new)

Jammies LG, probably yes. When you lose that much weight, all of your skin sags all over the place, so she probably had them lifted when she had the skin removed. If I had the money, I'd do that too!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Reese Witherspoon had Barbie hair. Seriously. I thought the ponytail looked detachable:

[image error]

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.