Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Personalized recommendations > Love stories that aren't really love stories.

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) I like it when a book is like an action book or something but if you look deeper, it's kind of a love story. I'm not talking a full out romance going on necessarily, but maybe something underlying. Like I think that the book Glimpse by Carol Lynch Williams is a love story between the MC and her sister, for example.

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa W | 7 comments yeah these are great, showing that amongst battle/hard times that romance/relationships do blossom.

message 4: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Try Unwind and Ship Breaker. Both are action stories with an element of romance in them.

message 5: by Rachel Alice (new)

Rachel Alice | 49 comments I second both of Tatiana's recommendations, they're great.

You might also try Leviathan, Gone, Virals, Nobody's Princess, The Declaration, or Heist Society.

message 6: by Sarah (last edited Mar 01, 2011 06:59PM) (new)

Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Rachel wrote: "I second both of Tatiana's recommendations, they're great.

You might also try Leviathan, Gone, Virals, Nobody's Princess, [book:The Dec..."

16 yr old Daniel Landon falls in love the summer the dcotors tell him he only has a year to live in CATCHER, CAUGHT (new on Kindle and online booksellers and by order from your favorite bookstore) It's been #1 on Death & Dying on Amazon.com for 6 weeks.

Also The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson's a very strange half-modern day half-medieval drama that turns out to be a love story and a mystery

message 7: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess Uglies :)

message 8: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brlemon) | 149 comments Hunger Games Trilogy was never really a love story - it was meant as a way to teach YA about the horror of war according to Collins. But everyone still gravitates towards Petra versus Gale.

Graceling has a lot of action but there is a romance element as well.

message 9: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) Thank you for all of your recomendations.

message 10: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa I don't know if you're still looking, but a couple of books that focus on relationships between siblings (and I know they're a little old, but still good) are Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series, and Madeline L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time.

message 11: by Deborah (new)

Deborah I just finished Kit's Wilderness Kit's Wilderness (Readers Circle) by David Almond . It has the relationship with Kit and his grandfather, the way his new friend Allie (Allison) is protective of Kit himself and connected to his Grandfather as Kit's Grandmother babysat Allie. The way Kit is protective of John Askew because of Johns family. There are many interlocking relationships in this book. I really enjoyed it and read it for the reading challenge Printz Award.

message 12: by Stephanie (last edited May 15, 2011 02:04PM) (new)

Stephanie (stephec) Colberto wrote: "I like it when a book is like an action book or something but if you look deeper, it's kind of a love story. I'm not talking a full out romance going on necessarily, but maybe something underlying...."

The love stories in Graceling and Fire are not what I would call "Underlying"... But the romantic relationships are just one part of a bigger story and don't overwhelm the plot line... Both are great books.

message 13: by Rachel Alice (new)

Rachel Alice | 49 comments Plain Kate is sort of a love story between Kate and her cat, it's really sweet.

I used to read but now I don't It's bad I know (spark740) I really enjoyed "Fallen Angel" by Sigmund Brouwer because the love story is not a love story. If you don't mind scifi you should check it ouT!